Really amusing versions of what really happened in the Rumplestiltskin fairytale. As Vivian Vande Velde says in her foreward, the original tale makes no sense! This was a fun, fast read.
1) A Fairy Tale in Bad Taste - Rumplestiltskin is a troll, out to find out what human baby tastes like..He tricks a miller and his daughter into joking with the king. The joke is that the miller's daughter can spin straw into gold, but the king takes this seriously..
2) Straw Into Gold - After their mill burns down, a miller tries to trick someone into giving him 3 gold coins (to start over) with a story about how his daughter can spin straw into gold. But this plan unravels and he and his daughter find themselves locked up and soon to be killed unless she can create gold from straw.
3) Domovoi - Drunk on vodka the miller tells the king his daughter can spin straw into gold, and also drunk, the king believes it.
4) Papa Rumplestiltskin - A big-mouthed, proud father, the miller overexaggerates his daughters spinning and lands them both into trouble.
5) Ms. Rumplestiltskin - A plain girl turns into a homely young lady, an ugly woman, and finally a hideous crone. This is Rumplestiltskin and she can do magic.
6) As Good as Gold - An extremely pushy miller has a even more pushy golddigger daughter who sets her sights on the king. The poor king feels like a rabbit being watched by a wolf, but feels he must be polite.
WONDERFUL book to show studentes how one story can be told in many different ways from different characters' viewpoints. Really fun in the classroom, but anyone would probably enjoy it!
A very new take on an old fairy tale!
Great; really interesting read!
Great book to read and to use in a classroom to teach point of view.