Friend's Email: Subject:I have found a book that I think you would enjoy
SELECTED ENGLISH ESSAYS (The Kings Treasuries of Literature Vol. 49)
SELECTED ENGLISH ESSAYS - The Kings Treasuries of Literature Vol. 49 Author:George G. Loane (edited by) A collection of 29 essays by British, Scottish, and Irish writers with a Commentary section at the back of the book which includes Further Notes on some of the essays, short biographies of the writers, and exercises/questions for students. Many pages have very brief definitions or explanations of some of the words on that page. First published ... more »in 1921, this is the 1937 printing. General Editor of the series: Sir A.T. Quiller Couch. Printed at the Temple Press in Letchworth.
Table of Contents:
1) 4 essays by Francis Bacon: Of Travel, Of Wisdom for a Man's Self, Of Ambition, Of Studies
2) 1 essay by Abraham Cowley: Of Myself
3) 2 essays by Richard Steele: A Visit to a Friend, The Club
4) 5 essays by Joseph Addison: The Meeting of the Club, Sir Roger At Home, Will Wimble, Sir Roger At Church, Sir Roger At Westminster Abbey
5) 1 essay by Samuel Johnson: A Passage in "Macbeth"
6) 3 essays by Oliver Goldsmith: The Important Trifler, The Trifler's Household, Westminster Hall
7) 4 essays by Charles Lamb: Christ's Hospital Five and Thirty Years Ago, Dream-Children, Old China, Popular Fallacies
8) 1 essay by William Hazlitt: Of Persons One Would Wish to Have Seen
9) 1 essay by Thomas De Quincey: On the Knocking at the Gate in "Macbeth"
10) 1 essay by Leigh Hunt: Getting Up on Cold Mornings
11) 1 essay by Robert Louis Stevenson: "A Penny Plain..."
12) 1 essay by Augustine Birrell: Book-Buying
13) 1 essay by Edmund Gosse: The Whole Duty of Woman
14) 1 essay by G.K. Chesterton: A Defence of Nonsense