Skip to main content
PBS logo

Discussion Forums - Questions about PaperBackSwap Questions about PaperBackSwap

Topic: sent books without credit

Club rule - Please, if you cannot be courteous and respectful, do not post in this forum.
  Unlock Forum posting with Annual Membership.
Generic Profile avatar
Subject: sent books without credit
Date Posted: 9/9/2009 1:52 PM ET

I communicated with someone and sent two books without any credit and I don't expect any.

However, it would be nice if I could enter in the system that I have mailed those books, so that nice tracking of how many times book traveled from one person to another is still in use.

Heather-and-Raven avatar
Standard Member medalFriend of PBS-Silver medalPrintable Postage medal
Date Posted: 9/9/2009 2:35 PM ET

How come you expect to be able to use the system without going through it's (safe, time-tested, well-used) processes? I guess you could find the book someone else has listed and make a "note" or a "tag" that says "I shipped this." But someone else may delete your personal tag. I suppose it's sweet that you sent books to someone with no credit, but that's kinda at your own risk there. Using the PBS system and process is *the* way to be able to take advantage of the features like tracking and mileage.

ETA: It's too late now, but in the future if you want to do this but still track, I would suggest going the usual PBS route of one credit per book. Then the books go through (and remain) in the system. If you really wanted them to be free, you could just buddy the two credits back to the person after they've been received and checked in.

Last Edited on: 9/9/09 2:36 PM ET - Total times edited: 1
Generic Profile avatar
Friend of PBS-Gold medal
Subject: I think there is a 'mail to a friend' option.
Date Posted: 9/9/2009 2:54 PM ET
sarap avatar
Member of the Month medalFriend of PBS-Silver medal
Date Posted: 9/9/2009 3:43 PM ET

Hi Sergei,

I think it was nice of you to send books without requesting credits. Although, most members of PBS certainly don't expect anything like that.

The only way to really do it and still have the tracking, etc, is to have the other person order from your shelf and then you buddy back the credits.

Hope that helps.

EmilyKat avatar
Limited Member medalTour Guide medalFriend of PBS-Silver medal
Date Posted: 9/9/2009 6:06 PM ET

There is another way.  There is the send books to a friend option from your bookshelf.  Go through your own bookshelf to the book's page and it is there.  This option does not work with WL books.  And you need to have the address.  I have used it for the free book in a deal when I did not want the long passport (footprint) to get lost.   If I remember correctly, the sender needs to mark the book recieved.

Generic Profile avatar
Member of the Month medalFriend of PBS-Silver medal
Date Posted: 9/10/2009 9:51 AM ET

I use the Mail to A friend option when sending game books.  But like Emily said you cannot use this for WL books.