Skip to main content
PBS logo

Discussion Forums - Mystery & Thrillers

Topic: Septembre hombre. Read any good mysteries lately

Club rule - Please, if you cannot be courteous and respectful, do not post in this forum.
  Unlock Forum posting with Annual Membership.
Generic Profile avatar
Subject: Septembre hombre. Read any good mysteries lately
Date Posted: 9/1/2018 12:15 PM ET

I am not reading any mysteries just now. I have some travel books I want to get to. I have a book that has 3 mysteries by Mary Roberts Rinehart. I hope to get to that eventually.

SusanG avatar
Date Posted: 9/2/2018 10:27 PM ET

Always try to combine mystery and travel. 

Now reading: An Aegean April (Chief Inspector Andreas Kaldis Mystery) set in Athens and the Greek Isands.  Written by Jeffrey Siger, the books in this series give you a close up view of the history, the people and the settings of some of the lesser known islands.

Still reading more of the Cynthia Riggs' series set in Martha 's Vineyard. Victoria Trumbull, 92 year old poet/sleuth knows everything about everybody on the island.

Starting Widows by Lynda La Plante.

Last Edited on: 9/6/18 5:01 PM ET - Total times edited: 1
clariail avatar
Friend of PBS-Silver medalPBS Blog Contributor medal
Date Posted: 9/5/2018 10:52 AM ET

I caught up reading the Miss Fortune series by Jana Deleon this weekend. Finished Hook, Line and Blinker (Miss Fortune, Bk 10)Change of Fortune (A Miss Fortune Mystery) (Volume 11) and Reel of Fortune (A Miss Fortune Mystery) (Volume 12). Decided to re-read Louisiana Longshot (Miss Fortune, Bk 1) :: Jana DeLeon since it had been a while. Was trying to remember Fortune meeting Gertie and Ida Belle.

Before reading those, I read A Tale of Two Kitties (Magical Cats) :: Sofie Kelly which is my top favorite cozy series. Just love Owen and Hercules.

ASJ avatar
Alice J. (ASJ) - ,
Standard Member medalMember of the Month medalFriend of PBS-Double Diamond medalPrintable Postage medal
Date Posted: 9/6/2018 11:12 AM ET

I am reading Wolf Whistle by Marilyn Todd. Set in Ancient Rome. Good series

ASJ avatar
Alice J. (ASJ) - ,
Standard Member medalMember of the Month medalFriend of PBS-Double Diamond medalPrintable Postage medal
Date Posted: 9/10/2018 10:24 AM ET

I just finished The Prisoner in the Castle by Susan Elia MacNeal. I love this series, but didn't care for this one too much. I know she is trying to show all the different things that happen in WWII, but I didn't like play off the old Agatha Christie novel.  Hopefull the next one is better

ASJ avatar
Alice J. (ASJ) - ,
Date Posted: 9/20/2018 6:56 AM ET

I am reading a good Historical mystery No Cure for the Dead by Christine Trent. It is set in 1853 England. Book is about Florence Nightingale and nurse she finds dead. Interesting information about the days of early nursing.

Generic Profile avatar
Date Posted: 9/23/2018 4:54 AM ET

Pardonable Lies by Jennifer Winspear.

Generic Profile avatar
Standard Member medalFriend of PBS-Gold medalPBS Blog Contributor medal
Date Posted: 9/27/2018 7:30 AM ET

Read Thrice the Brinded Cat Hath Mew'd (Flavia de Luce, Bk 8) by Alan Bradley, acceptable but certainly not inspiring.  Really quite a disappointment.  Guess I'll go away from this series.

Last Edited on: 9/30/18 1:11 PM ET - Total times edited: 2
beanie5 avatar
Standard Member medalBook Cover Image Group medalBook Data Correction Group medal
Date Posted: 9/28/2018 8:10 PM ET

Jacqueline Winspear = Maisie Dobbs --- easy to mis-type

Generic Profile avatar
Date Posted: 9/28/2018 8:25 PM ET

Actually I lost interest in that book fairly quickly. Didn't get very far in it and gave up. Developes too slowly for me. I have gotten spoiled by Ross MacDonald. Often his mystery starts on the first page.

Last Edited on: 9/28/18 8:27 PM ET - Total times edited: 1
Generic Profile avatar
Date Posted: 9/30/2018 8:53 AM ET

The Drowning Pool by Ross MacDonald. non stop. Sat all day with the book and finished in mid afternoon. RM became interested at some point in the possibilities within the dynamic of a family unit. Many of his novels revolve around family problems.

Last Edited on: 9/30/18 6:49 PM ET - Total times edited: 1