Skip to main content
PBS logo

Discussion Forums - Mystery & Thrillers

Topic: May Showers Bring Time to Read Mystery/Thrillers

Club rule - Please, if you cannot be courteous and respectful, do not post in this forum.
Page:   Unlock Forum posting with Annual Membership.
bkydbirder avatar
Standard Member medalFriend of PBS-Silver medal
Date Posted: 5/22/2017 9:33 AM ET

Geri - it sounds like you are doing just fine in your home so I would recommend you stay put. The heck with what other people think is best for us. I'm sure all of us know when it's time to ask for help or "go smaller". Most of our seniors in our seniors group down here still live in their own homes and they are doing just fine. One of our members moved to assisted living after his wife died and he loves it, so that was a decision he made for his own good and something he knew would work out better for him! Don't be pressured by other people who really have no idea what you want or need.

geejay avatar
Geri (geejay) -
Member of the Month medalPBS Blog Contributor medal
Date Posted: 5/22/2017 11:30 AM ET

Ah, I know it well Becky.  In the funeral home I had someone ask me when I was putting my house up for sale.  After all what do I need with a 3 bedroom house?  Up here homes that were built in the 1960s are three bedroom and even condos are three bedrooms.  You can't find a newer (25 years) house less than 2000 sq ft.  If I went further north, yes.  North of me I'd be able to find an older home.  My cousin lives in one that's 106 years old.  But, mercy he has fierce winters! 

I loved the Bruce Alexander series!

I'm actually reading a light, romance, cozy that has upped the language!  I had to look up a couple words.  I had an idea of what they meant by the context but double checked.  Such a pleasure to read something that isn't dumbed down.

Last Edited on: 5/23/17 11:45 AM ET - Total times edited: 1
mary2029 avatar
Limited Member medal
Date Posted: 5/23/2017 9:32 AM ET

Geri - I'm actually looking for a larger house. I'm tired of cramped rooms, I crave spaciousness. I also want one that was built prior to 1950 because the have more character. Comparatively speaking, the cost of housing in central South Carolina is much lower than Phoenix. The problem is that there aren't as many houses for sale. 

Becky - I'm not packing alone. I have a young man helping me as a gofer. If I weren't old enough to be his grandmother, I'd say he's also a "honey-do." Wish I could take him along to SC to help with the unpacking.

Generic Profile avatar
Date Posted: 5/23/2017 12:32 PM ET

My dream house would have a front and back porch and at least one room with a big fireplace. not too particular about the rest of it.

bkydbirder avatar
Date Posted: 5/23/2017 12:41 PM ET

That sounds good Charles! Where do you live? The front and back porch would be lovely here in Tucson but the fireplace would be an optional feature down here - LOL!

geejay avatar
Geri (geejay) -
Date Posted: 5/23/2017 12:51 PM ET

I have a small front porch but a 9 x 12 back porch plus a 9 x 12 sunroom.  Gas fireplace so I can set it low.  Mary, I agree I like being able to "stretch" in my house.  Lucky you have an almost honey do person to assist with the packing.   

Generic Profile avatar
Date Posted: 5/23/2017 5:52 PM ET

I live in Texas. Where I live most porches are screened to keep the bugs away.

When I was little I had a grandmother (my mother's mother) who lived in a small town in Georgia. We only got to visit for short times in the summer. I remember as a kid getting to sleep on her porch a few times. I thought that was the coolest thing. Of course it was just an ordinary thing to my grandmother. She did it quite often.

bkydbirder avatar
Date Posted: 5/23/2017 9:18 PM ET

Charles, we had a cottage on a lake in Michigan when I was a kid. It had a great screened in back porch facing the lake. I slept out there a lot! Like you, I thought it was great!

geejay avatar
Geri (geejay) -
Date Posted: 5/24/2017 9:10 AM ET

When I was a child we lived in the upper flat of my grandmothers house.  We had a porch above her back porch and she had a great front porch.  In the summer everyone sat on their front porches to visit.  At night my uncle would sleep on my grandmother's back porch and mom and dad would sleep on our porch.  My aunt had a cottage with a screened in porch overlooking the lake and my cousins and I got to sleep there.  Since it was on the second floor there were beds for the kids.  The adults used the ground floor screened in porch.

geejay avatar
Geri (geejay) -
Date Posted: 5/24/2017 10:09 AM ET

Since Mary is moving she's offering a deal on her books.  I've switched to eBooks and have 16 books left on my shelf.  Maybe something would appeal.  I'll offer the same deal just to get them to someone else.  Otherwise they will go to the library instead of a friend.  

I've just finished six of a six book series, more romance than mystery.  Not a cozy but light - the Divorced, Desperate and Delicious series.  Three divorced young women form a club and meet every Friday to talk, drink and have fun.  Swear they're off men.  Three books, then three guys form their club to meet and play basketball, drink and have a great time.  Swear they're off women.   No, the three women don't marry these men but the six couples do know each other.  Not necessary to read in order but somethings make a bit more sense if you do.  Yep, I read them (the horror) out of order!

Reading a 19 book series by Terri Reid.  For the first time I've read several books one after another without suffering burnout!  Mary O'Reilly sees and talks to ghosts.  She was a Chicago cop who took a bullet meant for her brother.  She died on the operating table, heading for the light when she hears a voice telling her she can go back but things will be differnt.  The difference is the ghosts.  She's helping people to see the light and go home to heaven.  Another light series.  I'd call them cozies and they do have a mystery - most of the ghosts have been murdered.  These should be read in order.  They do progress since Mary is single in the first book and the books progress through a year in time.

Last Edited on: 5/25/17 2:45 PM ET - Total times edited: 2
vintagejoy avatar
Standard Member medalMember of the Month medalBook Cover Image Group medalBook Data Correction Group medalTour Guide Leader medalFriend of PBS-Silver medalPBS Blog Contributor medalPrintable Postage medal
Date Posted: 5/25/2017 2:36 PM ET

It is my goal in life to have a screened porch on my house!  I have an open, small deck now, maybe someday I'll have the extra money to turn this into a screened porch.  My grandmother had a wonderful screened porch and we loved to sit out there, read and sit on the glider.  It is so very sad today, however.  The people who bought the house have let it go downhill to the point that the front of the house is sagging badly in the middle.  My grandfather built the house and it was a place of joy and love.  At least I have pictures and lots of memories in my heart.  :)

Spuddie avatar
Friend of PBS-Gold medalPBS Blog Contributor medal
Date Posted: 5/26/2017 9:18 AM ET

In print, I finished up The Vault by Peter Lovesey, #6 Peter Diamond mystery and thoroughly enjoyed it. I couldn't nail down the killer, kept changing my mind as those red herrings flew right and left. Diamond has become one of my favorites...why do I like grumpy old men so much? LOL Now reading The Bee's Kiss by Barbara Cleverly, #5 Joe Sandilands historical mystery in print. Also finished Death of a Chancellor by David Dickinson, #4 Lord Francis Powerscourt historical, that was on the Kindle...now have borrowed Stange Tides by Christopher Fowler, one of the most recent Bryant & May Peculiar Crimes Unit mysteries for the Kindle from the library. My audio is yet another fantasy epic, a new-to-me author translated from Russian. So far liking it a lot!

I need to review my wish list and make sure none of these books I've borrowed from the library recently is still on there!

Cheryl

beanie5 avatar
Standard Member medalBook Cover Image Group medalBook Data Correction Group medal
Date Posted: 5/29/2017 2:15 PM ET

If any of you, and I know there are some, do the Historical Fiction category, you will see that this is a duplicate post.  Of late I have been reading mostly mysteries, many of which are historical.   There is cross over between the two groups, so I wanted my pals here to know about "Asylum" specifically.

I have finished off 4 books lately:  "Treachery at Lancaster Gate", Anne Perry, "Asylum" by Jeannette de Beauvoir, "The Harlot's Tale", Sam Thomas and on Kindle, "Yield Not to Misfortune", Suzanne Downes. 

The Suzanne Downes books are Kindle only but I do enjoy them.  Set in England with am amateur sleuth whom is a former Cambridge Don.

Anne Perry was a Thomas & Charlotte episode and i enjoyed it.

"Asylum" was a very good book.  Someone here, I think, recommended it and I conur.  Set in Montreal and switches from modern day to a time during the Cold War.  It is based on a true situation having to do with orphans, the Catholic Church and the CIA.

Sam Thomas does a good job in this, the second book, of the Midwife series. 

With the exception of Montreal, the others are alll situated in England.

Last Edited on: 5/29/17 2:27 PM ET - Total times edited: 1
Generic Profile avatar
Date Posted: 5/31/2017 1:14 PM ET

Never read an Ian Rankin book. What do you think of him? Can you recommend one?

Page: