Simply Wonderful Mexican Beans
||Fun & Easy
||2 / 10
||4 - 6
Cup 2 - dry pinto beans
Slices 4 - bacon, cut in 1" pieces
Clove 4 - 5 - garlic
Cup 5 - boiling water
Always buy the freshest pinto beans. The lighter the color, the fresher the beans, and the better your dish.
- Sort the beans, removing the broken beans and stones.
- Rinse the beans with cold water and drain (do not pre-soak)
- Add the beans and boiling water to the crock pot and turn it on High.
- Add the garlic & raw bacon.
- Cover the crock pot & cook on High for about 2 1/2 hours, stir periodically, or until the beans are soft.
After the beans are done, add salt to taste. Use as a side-dish, or for a complete meal, serve over a bed of hot white rice and top with chopped onions, tomatoes, grated cheese, and salsa.
I've prepared beans all my life, but learned this secret in the past few years: Never add sugar or tomato products before or while cooking; these inhibit softening of the beans. This seems to apply to all legumes, including lentils.