Skip to main content
PBS logo

Discussion Forums - October Hot Topics

Topic: Smoke smell in books

Club rule - Please, if you cannot be courteous and respectful, do not post in this forum.
  Unlock Forum posting with Annual Membership.
Generic Profile avatar
Subject: Smoke smell in books
Date Posted: 10/21/2008 4:25 PM ET

Does anyone have a remedy to rid a book of the cigarette smell other than leave it open to air out? I really need a quick remedy if possible.

Thanks for your input.

Linda

justcyn avatar
Limited Member medal
Date Posted: 10/21/2008 11:00 PM ET

Try putting a fabric softener sheet inside the book in a ziploc. Make sense?

Generic Profile avatar
Date Posted: 10/22/2008 11:20 AM ET

Thganks for the idea. Never thought of that. They are laready in the bag.

Thanks,

Linda

Generic Profile avatar
Date Posted: 10/22/2008 2:04 PM ET

I've also had good luck leaving it outside in the sun and wind. Takes time, and you have to keep an eye to the sky :). You might try shaking baking soda into the pages, then shake it back out again. Does anyone know if that would create problems? It's certainly more work than a fabric sheet in a bag.

Generic Profile avatar
Date Posted: 10/22/2008 2:08 PM ET

Oh- I might use baking soda in a paperback, but not a coffee table book, for instance.

pinksparkleme avatar
Date Posted: 10/23/2008 1:04 PM ET

Someone told me to put the book in a plastic tote (the kind with the snap lids) with some kitty litter.

kats4me avatar
Subject: Smake
Date Posted: 10/24/2008 7:18 PM ET

How about Fabreeze. It is suppose to take the smell out of anything.

Generic Profile avatar
Date Posted: 10/26/2008 1:55 PM ET

Try putting them in the freezer. I know it sounds crazy but it works on other things so I don't know why if won't work on books.

EmilyKat avatar
Limited Member medalTour Guide medalFriend of PBS-Silver medal
Date Posted: 10/30/2008 1:24 AM ET

Fabric softener sheets are nasty!  Try sunshine and baking soda first.   A dark plastic bag full of baking soda sitting in the sun.  I use those fridge packs so the powder doesn't get in the pages.  Nothing starts migraines for me quite like fabric softener sheets.  Instant pain.  And unlike smoke, the smell never leaves.  (Freezing would work as it removes the moisture, just like sun or baking soda.  A dry book smells less.)

Generic Profile avatar
Subject: Smoke smell in books
Date Posted: 10/30/2008 11:12 AM ET

Thanks for all your suggestions. I've been leaving it open in the cool garage and it has helped. The fabric softener didn't hjelp much as it is a large book. Will try the freezer. That sounds iinteresting. I'll let you know which works best for future reference.

Thanks again for all your ideas.

Linda

snowkitty avatar
Friend of PBS-Silver medal
Date Posted: 11/4/2008 2:37 PM ET

I asked about this before. One of the women told me to put in a garbage liner with kitty litter. I got a large one, filled a shoe box with CLAY LITTER, not scoopable, placed a sheet of paper over the litter and filled the bag with books, and add as I read. Any books on my shelf are in the bag, but I still refuse anyone requesting the books not be around smokers. She also told me sometimes it's because people are allergic, and these people might also be allergic to fabric softener sheets, so not to use them. Putting baking soda may cause someone to wonder if it actually is baking soda. The freezer could dampen them. I don't use the garage in fear they would pick-up other smells.

SunnyOK avatar
Limited Member medal
Date Posted: 9/1/2009 12:12 PM ET

I'm one of the ones with smoke allergies. I use a dryer sheet in a zip bag, but I only buy the perfume free dryer sheet. They still work, both for smoke and musty smells. I also put them on my dryer in the garage to "cure".

I have received books that have had scented dryer sheets in them and the smell does trigger allergy problems.

ripley avatar
Lori M. (ripley) - ,
Standard Member medalBook Cover Image Group medalBook Data Correction Group medal
Date Posted: 9/13/2009 11:44 PM ET

I have heard the kitty litter idea works. You can also stand the book up in a box, fanning the pages open somewhat, and put one of those solid air fresheners in with it for a few days. Then give it another day or so to air out after you remove the air freshener.

Generic Profile avatar
Subject: Kitty Litter Solution
Date Posted: 9/21/2009 10:59 AM ET

Kitty litter is the best solution for the problem of any smells in a book.Use the unscented natural clay kind.  As a book seller of many years I have used this a number of times for smoke or that musty smell old books pick up in storage. Place the kitty litter in the bottom of a plastic tote. About an inch will do. Place the books in a open topped cardboard box & place in on top of the kitty litter. Snap the lid of the tote on. It usually takes about 3 weeks to do the job, so it isn't instant. I wouldn't use the dryer sheets as the book will pick up the scent of those. Kitty litter is a cheap natural solution.

SmiLynnLady avatar
Date Posted: 10/6/2009 3:16 PM ET

I spray with Lysol as I flip through the book ... then open it out in the fresh air.

The FREEZER DOES WORK  with musty books, at least.  Have used that trick several times & salvaged special books.

I'll try the kitty litter next time I get a smokey book ... I suppose burying it in Shadow's litter box wouldn't be a good idea tho, huh?

Generic Profile avatar
Subject: Two cents
Date Posted: 11/21/2009 11:29 AM ET

If a book I received smells of smoke, I throw it away. My 'conditions' note is very clear that such books are not wanted. I would be quite upset if someone sent me a smoker's book that they had tried to deodorize. If you are a smoker and want to send your books out, please don't be selfish and send them to people who don't want them just to get yourself a credit.

I say that because while there are so-called rules/conditions, they are toothless, because the website can't really enforce them. They just make a note, and if the sender won't return your credit voluntarily, you're out of luck, and have a book you can't use and one less credit.

Generic Profile avatar
Subject: smoke smell
Date Posted: 7/5/2010 10:14 PM ET

try fanning the pages in front of an air ionizer for a few hours or overnight, if you have one.

A different topic - does anyone know if there's a way to undo an accidental cancellation - I clicked cancel when I meant to click print wrapper!

dkstevenson1 avatar
PBS Cruise Attendee medal
Date Posted: 10/13/2010 3:45 PM ET

I've had good luck placing the book in a paper bag with newspaper wadded up surrounding it.  I just left it for about a week and when I took it out - no smokey smell.  We use newspaper for stinky shoes too.

Good luck!