Skip to main content
PBS logo

Discussion Forums - Paranormal

Topic: Stephanie Tyler--Dire Wolf Series--Too Bad for Me

Club rule - Please, if you cannot be courteous and respectful, do not post in this forum.
  Unlock Forum posting with Annual Membership.
norma6448 avatar
Standard Member medalFriend of PBS-Silver medal
Subject: Stephanie Tyler--Dire Wolf Series--Too Bad for Me
Date Posted: 8/10/2014 10:09 AM ET

I contacted ST site on FB asking if she would come out with another Dire Wolf Book.  This is the response I got.

FROM HER REP--"Hi Norma, she isn't writing anymore right now BUT you never know future wise. I will let everyone know if she decides to write a new one. -Shawnie

FROM ME--Now I am afraid to start another series! This is the first series I have read of hers and now I am afraid to start another. What if she leaves us up in the air again when she goes on to another project? Just not happy about this.

FROM HER REP--Well, I guess you are just going to have to take a leap of faith. She isn't contracted to write anymore Dire Wolves books and has no time to write and self publish them, because she is working on books for Sydney Croft and SE Jakes. Sorry you feel that strongly. Happy Reading with whatever you decide to do. -Shawnie"

Bizzy1 avatar
Friend of PBS-Silver medal
Date Posted: 8/14/2014 5:55 AM ET

OMG!  I don't actually read this series but this seems to happen a lot in the para world lately.  This has happened with several series that I've been reading.  Its so damn annoying too when you get to the last book published only to have no ending and the author states they will not be writing any more.  Its crap that more don't choose to self publish in this age.  I feel the same way as you do on this though its hard to start reading a series by an author whom you have read in the past who has not finished other series and moved on to other projects.  It makes you feel as though they will do so again, especially if they are repeat offenders.  I also get pissed when I stop reading an author because of this reason, and then accidently pick up a pen name by them only to find out after several book and another dropped series that it was a pen name.  I so hate pen names, and I hate getting hooked on a series only for the author to stop writing it with no ending!  I'll be writing this author down as one I wish to stay away from though mostly because her rep comes off a little rude in his last comment.  Most authors just say that the publishers didn't wish to purchase anymore of the series at the time and that if in the future that changes, or they get the time they might consider self publishing; instead of flat out stating that its never going to happen.  Personally I would find a new author for now.  You could always go back later and read a series of hers if you find out that there is one you are interested in that actually got finished.      

norma6448 avatar
Date Posted: 8/14/2014 5:43 PM ET

This happens with TV shows alot.  If the ratings are low they just junk the show!  With all the shows having cliff-hanging endings this is just rude!  Then when I find a good series and find it happening there also=========who can you trust to deliver a great story with a real ending!  I find my self with my trusted favorites:  Christine Feehan, Ilona Andrews, Bianca D'Arc, Christine Feehan.  There are really more excellant authors that know how to treat their readers and they have many wonderful books out.  Just really pisses me off about this series as I really liked the characters.

meadow27 avatar
Date Posted: 8/15/2014 8:24 AM ET

yea tv shows have gotten really bad at cancelling shows lately-in fact one show I really liked revolution was cancelled this season. and it got really bad reviews/ratings the first season so you would think that the writers would've had a kinda ending as opposed to the cliff hanger it was. I read Stephanie tyler dire wolf-I wouldn't bother. There is a lot of info dump and to be it wasn't that interesting. I also hate pen names cuz if I really like/dislike the author I know the name, I don't want to have to hunt it down (if I liked the author but the new name doesn't sell that well) or get tricked into buying it.

norma6448 avatar
Date Posted: 8/16/2014 9:03 AM ET

A NEW POST FROM STEPHANIE TYLER: 

"Well, here's the thing - it's not totally up to me. The publisher didn't feel the series had done as well as they'd have liked - partially because the PNR market tanked in general during the past couple of years. So I don't want you to think that I just drop series at a whim - I hate doing that and my editor and I didn't know it was going to happen, or else I wouldn't have left things open in DD. The Hold Series is complete. ACRO is complete. Shadow Force is complete. Section 8 is continuing. Defiance is continuing to completion. So I'm not happy to leave characters hanging either, but my publisher has the right to those characters for now, so I have to decide what to do. I'll never say never, of course, but it's going to be a little while (and hopefully the PNR market will pick back up :)"

Munchkin avatar
Date Posted: 8/21/2014 9:05 PM ET

I liked the Dire Wolves series and I'm glad the author responded with an explanation.  It would be nice if the publisher decides they don't want the remaining series to let the author publish it elsewhere.  The paranormal market has dipped?  Sounds about right, I discover a new genre and its old news:(