Discussion Forums - Questions about PaperBackSwap Questions about PaperBackSwap

Topic: Strange email from paperbackswap

Club rule - Please, if you cannot be courteous and respectful, do not post in this forum.
  Unlock Forum posting with Annual Membership.
Subject: Strange email from paperbackswap
Date Posted: 9/11/2017 6:20 AM ET

I just received an email from paperbackswap claiming that a book that was mailed on 9/6/17 was delivered on 9/7/17, and I should mark is "received".

Hello from PaperBackSwap! Have you received the book 'Among the Wicked (Kate Burkholder, Bk 8)' by Linda Castillo in the mail yet? The post office has recorded it as "delivered" on 9/7/2017.

I have not received this book.  When I check the details, it is still showing the book sitting in a USPS processing center in Warrendale, PA.  Luckily, the person sending it paid for the tracking thru the PBS system, or I'd be calling the post office asking them where my package ended up.

Has this been happening to anyone else?  Just wondering what is going on with this system.

Robin

Date Posted: 9/11/2017 8:54 AM ET

That is the type of message that another member might send. Not the pbs people.

Cathy A. (Cathy) - ,
Date Posted: 9/11/2017 9:16 AM ET

This message does come from PBS. I have gotten it a couple of times. Once was a mistake by USPS where they scanned it "Delivered" instead of "Accepted", which sounds like what might have happened here; and another time the sender mailed late so the book arrived after I'd already left for vacation and it was delivered a few days before I could get home and mark it received.

To see if this happened, take the tracking number that's on the details popup on your My Account page. Copy it and paste it into the search box at www.usps.com so you can see all of the original scans. If you see the word "Delivered" on the USPS page, that's why PBS is notifying you that you should mark the book received. It's an automated email that's sent based on the Delivered scan, so it's not harming your account or reputation in any way. If you don't see a Delivered scan, then something's gone haywire in the PBS system, and it would be nice to notify them that they have a bug there.

Date Posted: 9/11/2017 4:42 PM ET

That seems like a glitch in the system.  One day?

Last Edited on: 9/11/17 4:42 PM ET - Total times edited: 1
Date Posted: 9/11/2017 8:27 PM ET

Cathy, I took your advice and checked out the USPS site with the tracking number in the system.  This morning the book was shown sitting in Warrendale, PA.  Now the info has changed.  Looks like the problem is with USPS. 

September 7, 2017, 10:27 pm Delivered, PO Box LONGWOOD, FL 32779 
Your item has been delivered and is available at a PO Box at 10:27 pm on September 7, 2017 in LONGWOOD, FL 32779.
September 5, 2017, 6:49 pm Shipping Label Created, USPS Awaiting Item DERWOOD, MD 20855 

It shows the book delivered on 9/7/17 to a PO Box in Florida.  The problem is I live in Pennsylvania.  LOL.  Well, when I got home from work today, I found the book in my mail box.  I don't know if it took a vacation in Florida or if the scans were just screwed up. 

Last Edited on: 9/11/17 8:32 PM ET - Total times edited: 1
Cathy A. (Cathy) - ,
Date Posted: 9/11/2017 10:23 PM ET

Wow, that's a weird one alright. Glad you got the book!