Skip to main content
PBS logo

Discussion Forums - Questions about PaperBackSwap Questions about PaperBackSwap

Topic: Swappable?

Club rule - Please, if you cannot be courteous and respectful, do not post in this forum.
  Unlock Forum posting with Annual Membership.
javagerty avatar
Subject: Swappable?
Date Posted: 11/1/2011 6:15 PM ET

So I have a WL book that I ordered from another site. Upon arrival I noticed a small brown stain on the edge of the pages about the size of a dime. it does not bleed through to the pages or obscure the text, so I am wondering if it is postable? Thanks

-McKenna

farazon avatar
Standard Member medalFriend of PBS-Silver medal
Date Posted: 11/1/2011 6:45 PM ET

Try and use a Mr. Clean magic eraser on the page edges to clean it up. Mystery stains are always tricky. Remainder(?)marks are acceptable; but brown stains? we can hope that it was just a coffee or tea drip. 

melanied avatar
Standard Member medalMember of the Month medalBook Cover Image Group medalBook Data Correction Group medalTour Guide Leader medalBook Bazaar Coordinator medal
Date Posted: 11/1/2011 6:52 PM ET

No. Stains of any size or source are not swappable.

You can offer it in the Book Bazaar for a credit. You arrange how to transfer the credit and address, but the book cannot be posted into the system.

Last Edited on: 11/1/11 6:54 PM ET - Total times edited: 1
Generic Profile avatar
Standard Member medal
Date Posted: 11/1/2011 7:34 PM ET

I have had some success with "sanding" the edges with an emery board.

sarap avatar
Member of the Month medalFriend of PBS-Silver medal
Date Posted: 11/1/2011 8:10 PM ET

If it is a marker, it would be postable.

If it is a mystery substance, it's not postable.

I use sandpaper to sand the edges of books that are dirty on the edges. I know it sounds like it would tear up the page edges, but it really does not, and in almost every case, you can't even tell it was sanded.

Just squeeze the pages together in the area you want to sand (leave the cover outside of your fingers) and sand top to bottom. It takes nasty stuff right off.

Last Edited on: 11/1/11 8:11 PM ET - Total times edited: 1
robdee avatar
Date Posted: 11/2/2011 8:40 AM ET

Just spitballing here but the "stain" could be foxing and IIRC that's acceptable.

-RD