Discussion Forums - Love & Romance Love & Romance

Topic: TBR reduction encouragement thread!

Club rule - Please, if you cannot be courteous and respectful, do not post in this forum.
Page:
Date Posted: 2/24/2012 9:18 AM ET

I actually paid .99 to buy one of my TBR books on Kindle. I don't normally do that but it was normally $5 and it was lendable but came up on the daily deal.  It's also an author I love and so something I might read again.  I'm not normally a rereader but I do sometimes.  Anyway, I figured it got me lending points for listing it on lendle.me and when someone borrows it, it'll get me another book for that .99 investment.  Now I just need to remember to dig it out and post it while it's still got a long WL line. 

I've also started double checking my WL offers that come at the library.  The other day I turned one down becuase my library had 1 copy.  I decided it wasn't one I wanted bad enough to own.  If the library copies goes missing then it's not a tragedy. 

Date Posted: 2/27/2012 3:26 PM ET

And yay another TBR print book popping up free on the Kindle.  That's about a dozen so far since I got it in November. Not counting library ones. 

This one was an old romance Powerful Magic by Karen Whiddon. 

Date Posted: 3/1/2012 12:44 PM ET

And 2 more!  Falling For You by Julia Ortolon and When Night Falls by Cait London.  Print copies being tossed in the donation box. 

I'm making my WL here more and more audio and non-fiction books (I like those in print if they have pictures).  Also ones that are just too expensive (to me) or not available in ebook. 

But mainly I've been trying to add fiction stuff just to my RL and my Amazon WL. 

Last Edited on: 3/1/12 12:45 PM ET - Total times edited: 1
Date Posted: 3/3/2012 9:11 PM ET

It pays to keep checking the library. I just pulled 25 books from my WL that  my library has.  Some are ones that I probably didn't bother to check but others are newer books that they didn't have before (I put a personal note on them when I check).

Of course I refilled it already but with books not at the library. I also removed a bunch where the library had 1 copy because I was wishign those before. I take the chance that I can get that 1 library copy.  I removed some that are reasonably priced & lendable for Kindle as well.  I didn't buy them but put them on my Amazon WL to consider later.

Date Posted: 3/5/2012 6:57 PM ET

I have just two reviewing obligations left, both by favorite authors so they shouldn't be a drag to read. After that, beautiful freedom! I will think twice before accepting any more review books. I hate being too burned out to write funny crap at GoodReads.

Date Posted: 3/11/2012 7:46 PM ET

Mary has been proved right yet again- only read one at a time, even if it's an author you like, just in case the series sucks.

I got Edge of Sight by Roxanne St.Claire last February. By Labor Day it hadn't made it to the top of my TBR, but there was the Borders book sale... so I bought the next two, justifying it as well, they're 2.10 each! Stupid me. 2.10 wasn't that big a savings from 2.47 for a credit. And the first book sucked. Didn't even finish it. The only good part is that 2 and 3 are WL'ed, but still... I could have not spent that 4.20. Those two, along with the 12 others that turned up on the Brooklyn Public Library website once I got my card (granted, we didn't know about the BPL then). On the flip side, there have been another 15 or 20 that were on my wishlist that BPL got in digital so they went off my WL and onto the RL (yay saving money!), but man, I hate wasting money in stupid ways like that, especially when I know better!

Date Posted: 3/11/2012 7:47 PM ET

Oh and part two- I got gifted with a B&N gift card at work. A pretty stout one. I bought 3 WL books with it from the used book listings and still have a stout amount left. Do I have to beat myself up over buying books if they were gifts like that? wink

Date Posted: 3/11/2012 8:00 PM ET

I watched a couple of episodes of "Hoarders" at the gym today and am now giving my keeper shelf a big clean out. [shudder]

Date Posted: 3/16/2012 8:41 AM ET

I used to watch it and then stopped.  I may have to start catching it more often. I watched a couple of episodes last week and it put me in the mood to clean and purge.  I ended up going through my pantry although there wasn't much to purge it reminded me of what was in there and is better organized now.  I also unburied my kitchen table, scrubbed my floors and moved furniture to get the dog hair and dust from behind and underneath.

Date Posted: 3/16/2012 9:02 AM ET

I decided to use my B&N card to pick up some print books that everybody seems to want in the games (including me) but no one ever seems to post. I'm going to get one a month until the card is gone.

Last Edited on: 3/16/12 9:03 AM ET - Total times edited: 1
Date Posted: 3/16/2012 1:11 PM ET

I've catalogued my 7 boxes of Harlequin Presents and they're all set up on my new bookcases. I actually found a few I'd already read, and some that were reissues which was weird because both editions were part of the HP "extra" books. Anyhow, I was able to cull about a dozen.

Also catalogued a non-Presents box of books and pulled 7 books from that box, refilled the box of 7 books that hadn't been catalogued yet.

I have 3 grocery bags to bring to GW tomorrow morning. I should have been doing more culling but I've been trying to get some reading done, too.

GAil

Date Posted: 3/17/2012 7:20 PM ET

Yeah another one of my TBR books popped up as a freebie on Kindle today: Kill The Competition by Stephanie Bond.  Another book to go into the donation box. 

Date Posted: 3/23/2012 11:25 PM ET

MY TBR just went under 50. Yea me!

Date Posted: 3/23/2012 11:59 PM ET

Go Nancy!

I've been reading some paper books, and since I'm not getting new ones much anymore, perhaps I may actually make a dent! Of course, I'm still getting ebooks, but since they don't lie around taking up space, I don't care. ;-)

Date Posted: 3/27/2012 12:14 AM ET

I just cleaned out my entire stash of Susan Johnson, 7 books. I looked them over and don't think I would enjoy her style.

My historicals cupboard actually has some gaps now! surprise

Date Posted: 3/27/2012 1:33 PM ET

Mary I've tried to like Stephanie Bond but just can't get into her stuff - the body movers was good the first book but with 3 guys she's interested in an dthe worthless parents starting to re-appear was just too much for me. I'm hoping my friend at work will read the resta nd tell me how it all ends up. mine went to usb a while back - wish it were still there so I could trade.

gearing up to load up more books and clear some more space - will look for another used bookstore ot herwise off ot the resale center that benefits the women's shelter - may take them there anyways. still have plenty to read.

debating suzanne enoch and nina bangs. already been tossing susan johnson  didn't like the2 of hers I tried to read - not sure why but just didn't care for them at all.

Date Posted: 3/27/2012 6:14 PM ET

I don't like Susan Johnson either. I got a  big box of her books from Ebay a few years ago. I read 2, hated them and got rid of the rest. I've been reading and posting a lot of print books lately.  I went a month or two reading mostly ebooks because WL ones came up on lendle.me and the library. But I've making an effort to only read on the kindle at work or when I'm out. 

Last Edited on: 3/27/12 6:16 PM ET - Total times edited: 1
Date Posted: 3/29/2012 6:29 PM ET

Dropped off big bag o' books at the library and resisted many romances at the library sale. (There is some mad purger in my area -- perhaps someone who got an ereader for Christmas.) My reward was to find one book I really wanted, Beyond Innocence by Emma Holly. :-)

Date Posted: 3/30/2012 5:08 AM ET

My reward was to find one book I really wanted, Beyond Innocence by Emma Holly. :-)

heh, that might have been my copy i donated around a month ago.  some of the other books i donated at the same time were on the FOL shelf up here the other day and i hadn't seen them until then.  :)  the older books reading challenge i participated in from games forum had me *finally* working my way through some of the books i've had sitting around forever.

Date Posted: 3/30/2012 12:38 PM ET

I have stopped downloading every free book I run across that sounds interesting.  Especially the Kindle books.  Most of the free ones lately have been crap.

Date Posted: 3/30/2012 12:55 PM ET

Me too, Sherri -- even free ebooks take time and energy to maintain.

So I guess you're the mad purger, Ellen? Good on ya! :-) Though somehow I doubt all the Stephanie Laurens came from you.

I wonder if all the books *I* donate are being snapped up be that donater?

Date Posted: 3/31/2012 12:35 AM ET

I've also cut wy back on the free ebooks..haven't read anything on my ereader ina while in fact and have enough to keep my reading a long time once I get started again.

Date Posted: 3/31/2012 2:49 AM ET

There's been a lot of dreck on the freebies lately. Dreck and also heavy, heavy on the Christian imprints.

Date Posted: 3/31/2012 2:49 AM ET

There's been a lot of dreck on the freebies lately. Dreck and also heavy, heavy on the Christian imprints.

Date Posted: 3/31/2012 5:02 AM ET

Though somehow I doubt all the Stephanie Laurens came from you.

nope, not those.  :)

but hey, i do have some room on my romance TBR shelves again!  the sf&f shelves are still having a slight overflow issue.  i could *probably* get them all on to the existing two shelves, except some of them would be sideways on top of the others and i like the way that right now NTM authors are separated.

i've also started being a lot more selective about which freebies i download for my Kindle.  a couple of weeks ago i finally broke down and instead of one 300+ book 'Romance' collection, i now have 3 collections - one for books i'd really like to read (authors/series i've read), one for books i'd probably like to read (mainly authors or books i've at least heard of), and the third (largest) tier is stuff i'm a whole lot less likely to ever get to.  after doing that, i'm much less interested in adding more stuff to that tier 3 pile.

Page: