Skip to main content
PBS logo

Discussion Forums - Love & Romance Love & Romance

Topic: Do we have a thread for this? A TBR type game?

Club rule - Please, if you cannot be courteous and respectful, do not post in this forum.
  Unlock Forum posting with Annual Membership.
Generic Profile avatar
Friend of PBS-Silver medal
Subject: Do we have a thread for this? A TBR type game?
Date Posted: 12/15/2009 5:03 PM ET

I'm using game but not in the sense of the games forum. I was thinking it might be interesting for people to post maybe 5 books from their TBR pile and then the first person to respond gets to tell them what book to read. I know my TBR pile is out of control and sometimes I jsut look and have no idea what to read next. The only rule would have to be that if you post a Wishlist book on your possible TBR books--so if you are at the top of the wishlist you can't tell someone to read that book. But as I said, maybe we have a thread for this already. Or maybe it's just a totally stupid idea!

willaful avatar
Date Posted: 12/15/2009 5:31 PM ET

People often post "what should I read next?" threads. I think it's a fun idea - go ahead and start. If people don't feel like playing, it'll die naturally.

Generic Profile avatar
Member of the Month medalFriend of PBS-Silver medal
Date Posted: 12/15/2009 5:47 PM ET

Sounds like fun to me.  People post WL books in the This On your WL thread.  you could maybe put a disclaimer at the top if you start it-and say something like "please don't beg for WL books here-this is just for fun" or something like that.

I've seen people post in the CMT "what should I read next" and people have responded with "read xxx because it's on my WL"-not to the book posted to them but to get the line to move faster.

I had a link in my signature for some WL TBR books that I tagged. I had 2 people PM with books they were looking for-I removed the link while I read some of those-don't want the PMs to pile up.

Generic Profile avatar
Date Posted: 12/15/2009 9:28 PM ET

I've seen some different c hallenges..thinking 'bout trying some this coming year..maybe the classical challenge since I keep meaning to read some classics though 10 is quite a bit LOL! romantictimes.com's message boards has a games section with different challenges. I've been doing the seasonal one - intending to use my tbr though I've used new acquisitions and library books..there's another I think 10/10/10 where you pick your genres, etc like 10 mysteries, 10 contemporary romance.. I just find my mood keeps changing as to what I want to read but for someone who's truly stumped this could be fun!

Generic Profile avatar
Member of the Month medalFriend of PBS-Silver medal
Date Posted: 12/15/2009 9:45 PM ET

That's why I don't do a more generalized challenge like reading by the alphabet or a theme.  I like to be able to just grab what I'm in the mood to read.  I really need to get rid of some books. That's why I chose a generalized reduce the TBR challenge. 

But it might be fun to say list 5 books and take votes on which to read.  Or the 1st to respond thing.  I don't know if I'd do it as far the book picking for me.  I always seem to have game books that need to be read.  But I might if I was stumped.  I actually have posted with a list of books and said what should I read next before.

Generic Profile avatar
Friend of PBS-Silver medal
Date Posted: 12/16/2009 8:28 PM ET

Thanks for the ideas! And since it's crazy busy around my house right now, I'm going to wait until I can actually--you know--get to my books! I figure between Christmas and New Year's Day I'll have some time to read and relax!