Skip to main content
PBS logo

Discussion Forums - USPS Postal Regulations USPS Postal Regulations

Topic: USPS not reading PBS DC scans

Club rule - Please, if you cannot be courteous and respectful, do not post in this forum.
Page:   Unlock Forum posting with Annual Membership.
MamaDragon3 avatar
Member of the Month medal
Date Posted: 2/5/2013 9:03 AM ET

Again, the workaround is for PBSers to not have to pay the additional 90 cents at the Register!

As referenced above, my workaround of having counter postage applied via the postage strip then having them charge you & apply a 20 cent stamp DOES work if they scan it into the system with the handheld scanners from the back.  However, if it is not scanned into the system there, you'd have to wait to see if it was scanned en route at the way stations.  That may or may not work--I've had it scanned, but Linda appears hers has not been, so your results may vary.

However, if you ARE able to get them to scan it the way outlined in my original workaround post that Richard reposted above, then it WILL be trackable at USPS.com and it WILL generate an acceptance scan.  It will NOT generate your quick credit here or be trackable here, though.

Conclusion--if you are using this method for quick credit--don't bother!  It's not working that way.  However, if you are using this as a method for games to track your mailings, then YES, it will work fine, since the numbers are still trackable at USPS.com and 50 cents (30 to PBS and 20 for e-DC) is cheaper than paying 90 cents at the PO.

In addition, I did get my quick credit today from PBS from sending in my feedback.  The books look like they may arrive today or tomorrow, so it wasn't really quick, and I did have to ask.  For regular FIFO books, I'd use either no extra services or pay for printed postage if you want the credit now.

Hope that helps!

Lillyj avatar
Date Posted: 2/5/2013 10:39 AM ET

I mailed 6 books and didn't get quick credit because they would not honor the PBS tracking number. Said I would have to pay 90 cents each for new numbers. PBS should refund the 30 cents each that we paid for DC numbers since they are no good any more. They should never have allowed the numbers to be printed out.

moonspinners avatar
Standard Member medal
Date Posted: 2/5/2013 10:57 AM ET

I see I really asked the wrong question................the last few things I've mailed that weren't swap books got a label attached that I didn't pay for that was a USPS tracking number.  I can't remember if the number appears on the receipt.   Are those any good for using in the swaps at all?  I don't know what color they are. 

BookLover4Ever avatar
Standard Member medalMember of the Month medalGame Moderator Coordinator medalFriend of PBS-Silver medalPrintable Postage medal
Date Posted: 2/5/2013 11:22 AM ET

Rose - I THINK the label/numbers you are asking about are "internal" generated at the same time as the metered postage strips - I believe they are only for post office purposes and I also believe they do not apply them to media mail only first class and parcel (they only came into "existence" within the last year or so).

moonspinners avatar
Standard Member medal
Date Posted: 2/5/2013 11:31 AM ET

Yes, I think those are the labels I'm asking about.  They do have a number but I think you're saying they aren't able to be checked on anywhere to track by users, right?  Just the USPS?

Richard-luvs-Reading avatar
Member of the Month medalFriend of PBS-Silver medal
Date Posted: 2/5/2013 11:35 AM ET

If ROSE is referring to the Pink and White Labels affixed at the Counter, then they are also used for Media Mail.

(I've been receiving multiple Fifo Orders with the Labels on them)

They start with 9549, and are trackable at the USPS Site, but I have come across a couple that have yet to show anything at USPS.

Lastly, if the numbers on the receipt do start with the 9549, then those would be the new Tracking Number.

(22 digits long)

Finally, I was wondering if the receipts for Retail Tracking does show the City and State and/or Zip Code the Package is being Sent to, and then the 9549 Tracking Number, and Thanks for anyone who has purchased the Retail Tracking, and has a Receipt handy).

eta: I receive a Reply via a Message, and here's the answer:

The Receipt shows the same as before, and except instead of the confirmation number appearing, it says USPS tracking and then the number

Last Edited on: 2/5/13 12:22 PM ET - Total times edited: 7
rainbowgirl28 avatar
Standard Member medal
Date Posted: 2/5/2013 11:50 AM ET

"Becca I haven't used the paypal is there a fee to do so?"

No fees to use PayPal for shipping, unlike Stamps.com, Endicia, PBS, etc. You would have to set up an account and link it to a bank account or credit card, so there will be some initial setup time, but no fees. PayPal charges fees when you receive money. 

"Also I looked on the Paypal site and its UPS if we don't have a UPS shipping box here so I'd have to drive 30min to the store to ship it I think.  Is there a way to look for a drop off box? "

PayPal lets you purchase postage through multiple services, including both UPS and USPS. Maybe what came up when you looked at it was UPS, but it will give you the option to select USPS. 

"Also Becca first class mail is discounted through PBS printed postage too for under 7 oz:

Current USPS First-Class Parcel rates:
Effective Jan 27, 2013
*Note USPS discount for printing First Class postage!
rates in red are less expensive than 1-lb Media Mail rate

1 - 3 ounces..............................$2.07.... 1.76 with Printable Postage
Between 3 and 4 ounces..............................2.24....1.93 with Printable Postage
Between 4 and 5 ounces..............................2.41..2.10 with Printable Postage
Between 5 and 6 ounces............................2.58 ..2.27 with Printable Postage
Between 6 and 7 ounces.............................2.75....2.43 with Printable Postage**"

Here are the current first class parcel rates when purchased with PayPal. These include DC and there are no other transaction fees and no fees to use PayPal.  

3oz or less $1.69
4oz or less $1.86
5oz or less $2.04
6oz or less $2.21
7oz or less $2.39
8oz or less $2.55
9oz or less $2.73
10oz or less $2.90
11oz or less $3.08
12oz or less $3.23
13oz or less $3.38

Media mail starts at $2.54 + $0.19 DC = $2.73
Date Posted: 2/5/2013 12:03 PM ET

I can never access PayPal Ship Now via the Site, and I always have to Google it:  "PayPal Ship Now"  

Paypal Ship Now  (for non-eBay Packages, and a PayPal Account is needed to Login to input your Sending/Shipping Info)

(I also receive discounts on sending Flat Rate Priority Mail, and I use Amazon's Shipping Weight, and for those that don't have a Scale )

Last Edited on: 2/5/13 12:10 PM ET - Total times edited: 5
fangrrl avatar
Date Posted: 2/5/2013 12:34 PM ET

Rose, those pink banded USPS tracking stickers (previously internal only) are exactly what we are discussing.  And yes, they are now valid on almost all mail rates including Media Mail.  If you purchase USPS tracking for .90, the tracking number is added to your counter receipt and you can track your package via USPS.com.  If you do not pay the extra charge, they still apply the trackiing label but the customer does not receive the tracking information.

Shelia, you are (very) lucky your postal staff was willing to work with you.  Mine are very nice, and still the clerk was distressed when I explained what I wanted.  I barely talked her into not selling me additional tracking for 2 of my 3 packages, but adding .20 instead....and to not cover the PBS DC barcode.  She even called the senior window clerk over and asked him about it.  It's interesting that she thought this was the new norm, and he thought it's temporary until the problem is fixed.  He didn't have a problem with what I asked, so she finally did it for me.  This clerk knows and likes me, is always sweet and polite, and yet she muttered, shook her head, and mumbled the entire time "this isn't right, this isn't right" ... so I didn't want to distress her further by requesting a special scan.  But I did notice that when I checked USPS.com, the packages had picked up an Acceptance scan, in addition to the one about routing to sorting center.

So yes, with the assistance of willing postal clerks there is a partial work-around.  I certainly wouldn't want to guarantee how many clerks will actually do this for you.  I'm not even sure mine will do it again for me.  And as previously mentioned, it still doesn't trigger the credit transfer (green check mark) nor is it trackable via PBS.

Last Edited on: 2/5/13 12:37 PM ET - Total times edited: 3
Lillyj avatar
Date Posted: 2/5/2013 12:41 PM ET

PBS should not be allowing DC numbers to be printed since the post office won't accept them.  I printed several out to only learn from the P.O. that the new numbers would cost me 90 cents. I did not buy them and I believe PBS should refund everyone's money that went for unusable numbers.

fangrrl avatar
Date Posted: 2/5/2013 1:15 PM ET

You don't have to buy the new .90 USPS tracking Lilly, but that's what staff has been trained to offer.  If you declined, how was it handled at your branch?  Did they apply their internal tracking over your PBS barcode or just leave it alone?

books4meme avatar
Standard Member medalFriend of PBS-Silver medal
Date Posted: 2/5/2013 1:19 PM ET

Got an nice & informative email yesterday from TPTB, they gave me quick credit for the books I used the PBS DC.

I'm going to try and send off some books this week using it again.  They say it's working now.  I will also save my receipts JIC!

moonspinners avatar
Standard Member medal
Date Posted: 2/5/2013 1:29 PM ET

Thanks for the PayPal Ship Now info.  That is what I will use for now.

fangrrl avatar
Date Posted: 2/5/2013 1:37 PM ET

OK, I complained to USPS.com and just received their reply...clueless as usual:

"...Since third party authorized vendors create their own programming to provide services, I can not troubleshoot any problems with downloading, paying, printing or services offered. You would need to contact the support for the company you purchase online labels/postage from to assist you.

If you are purchasing Delivery Confirmation and then the local Post Office is not accepting it, then I need to provide you with the number to Consumer Affairs as this service is available and working properly. The problem would be an operational error on the end of the specific local Post Office you are taking your packages to. To provide you with the number, I would need the zip code of the area you ship from...
"

Wow, nationwide problem and this is the reply?

kilchurn avatar
Member of the Month medalFriend of PBS-Gold medalPBS Cruise Attendee medal10th Anniversary PBS Cruise Attendee medalPBS Blog Contributor medal
Date Posted: 2/5/2013 3:47 PM ET

This is the official update from the team that was provided to the PBS Tourguides:

• We are hearing from members that some POs are still insisting that eDC can't be used to mail at the counter.  We are working with our USPS liaison to solve this issue, which appears to be a problem with individual Post Office education. Members who have this issue should be referred to the Help doc My PO says that I can't use PBS-DC! How can I prove that I can?
    • Note the USPS DMM link included in that Help doc, that has the current USPS information about e-DC.
  • Just to keep things fun, USPS was also not transmitting DC scan information reliably to us in the last few days, but that should be working again reliably soon.
Date Posted: 2/5/2013 3:53 PM ET

MARY, Thank You, and here's the Link to the Help Doc:    Link

(I understand the delay in issuing the information, and as it would take some time to compile the info)

Lastly, it is also obvious that it was 2 separate Errors (the Scanning, and the Quick Credit)

Last Edited on: 2/5/13 4:54 PM ET - Total times edited: 2
Bizzy1 avatar
Friend of PBS-Silver medal
Date Posted: 2/5/2013 3:55 PM ET

Hum thats a little intersting Denise.  It sounds like they are saying its been fixed and postal clerks are still not sure its fixed so they might still be declining them.  So when you went to the PO yesterday did the counter staff try to scan your barcodes at the register or did they refuse so you just made them do the work around.  I'm not really in the mood to try this out.  I know my PO would attempt to scan at the counter for me but I just don't have the energy to try again.  Has anyone printed today or yesterday and had the barcode scanned at the counter and it still not working?  I know the day I mailed I made the counter staff attempt to scan it but they couldn't get it to ring up for a price or something like that.  So it was not working on the first (2/1) 

Lilly when do you print off the label, did you have them try to scan it, and did they cover it up? 

Bizzy1 avatar
Date Posted: 2/5/2013 3:58 PM ET

So it was a combo of things that took it down.  First the usps issued faulty tracing numbers, and then they failed to send info to pbs.  Hopefully it really will be back up soon.  I hate not having the assurance that my package is going out with correct postage on it.  Printable postage is confusing for me.  Thanks Mary!

MamaDragon3 avatar
Date Posted: 2/5/2013 4:29 PM ET

We are hearing from members that some POs are still insisting that eDC can't be used to mail at the counter.  We are working with our USPS liaison to solve this issue, which appears to be a problem with individual Post Office education.

Mary, I'm not sure if they are understanding the problem correctly.  This statement makes it sound like improper PO education, and the Help Doc seems to imply that it's a matter of the USPS workers not scanning the barcode.  That's not it at all.  When the counter workers attempt to scan the barcode, it comes up as a 90 cent charge--NOT the 20 cents that e-DC is supposed to be charged.  Since they cannot get the barcode to generate the correct charge, some have refused to scan it, or alternately they have pushed customers to purchase the 90 cents DC from the PO since that's the charge generated by scanning the package.  If they refuse to scan it, it will then generate the pink label that they have been using for internal tracking (like you got if you mailed a book from the PO with no additional services), and many PO workers are putting this label OVER the PBS barcode.  If a customer is talked into the necessity of the 90 cents charge, again, a pink label is generated and usually put over the PBS barcode, the only difference is that this number will be printed on their receipt since they paid for tracking.

My PO requires that all mail brought to the counter must be scanned when accepted.  The barcodes also will not generate an acceptance scan from the registers, so this is problematic.  The only way around getting them scanned is to mail from home or drop them in a blue box, but that will only work for items under 13oz if they have stamps.

In addition, if we DO mail with e-DC, the barcodes are trackable in the USPS system, but not here at PBS.  They are NOT generating quick credits at all, and people are wasting 30 cents each time they use it.  Yes, many of us have sent in feedback to get our credits, but we have not gotten refunds for the DC fee we paid, nor have we had any word from PBS when this would get fixed.  A suggestion was made above that PBS should shut the e-DC only option down until this is fixed--otherwise they may as well refund everyone who used this option since 1/27. 

I do wish PBS would get this fixed, as regardless of what they claim, it is still not working as of my last experience. 

Date Posted: 2/5/2013 4:48 PM ET

SHELIA, I was also wondering about the Scanning at the Register, and if the USPS is still going to resolve that, or is the workaround the new norm?

Although, proving that the Bar Code is Valid is important to provide some Post Offices, and so only the 1st Step in a full Resolution.

Last Edited on: 2/5/13 7:24 PM ET - Total times edited: 2
Grnemae avatar
Standard Member medalGame Moderator medalPrintable Postage medal
Date Posted: 2/5/2013 6:37 PM ET

Heading spinning here.  This is a great deal of information to absorb.

I am so glad that I use PBS printable postage with DC but I like to stay on top of what is happening so that I can tell my swap players.  

rainbowgirl28 avatar
Standard Member medal
Date Posted: 2/5/2013 6:55 PM ET

All you need to remember to ship with PayPal is: 

1. Log in to your PayPal account. 

2. Type paypal.com/shipnow into the web browser, that will take you to the proper page, once you are logged in. 

Bizzy1 avatar
Date Posted: 2/5/2013 6:59 PM ET

I went to the PO Today to mail the books I used printed postage on yesterday and I am the only customer currently using e-DC here so they have not had anyone use it since I tried on the first.  I was told by my usually very informed and nice staff that they believed that e-dc was no longer in use and that only printable postage with tracking or their tracking would be allowed.  My staff said if I had any to mail that they would try to scan the e-dc for me and If it didn't work at the .20 cent rate that they would do the workaround shelia suggested and scan it in the back for me while I was there.  I won't be mailing again until I get Blood Law read for the double limbo swap which should be some time next week though so I won't try again until then.   

eclecticfirefly avatar
Standard Member medalFriend of PBS-Double Diamond medal
Date Posted: 2/5/2013 8:14 PM ET

Finally, I was wondering if the receipts for Retail Tracking does show the City and State and/or Zip Code the Package is being Sent to, and then the 9549 Tracking Number, and Thanks for anyone who has purchased the Retail Tracking, and has a Receipt handy).

Richard - the receipt does show the zip code of each package sent.  There are actually 2 sets of numbers being generated at the counter.  When the 90 cent tracking number is paid for, a 9500 number is generated.  This is trackable on the USPS website.  If the 90 cent tracking is NOT purchased, the 9549 series number is generated.  These numbers historically have not been trackable at USPS.com.  We can usually find out tracking info on them at the PO using our internal website that is not available to the public.  Both sets of numbers are being printed on customer receipts.

I wasn't at work today, so not sure what info, if any, has been given to the clerks.  Guess I'll find out tomorrow.

Date Posted: 2/5/2013 8:35 PM ET

CINDY, I've seen Tracking info for a few 9549 Numbers at USPS, but not for a 9552 Number?

(the Player is OOT, and will be double checking their Receipt by Tonight/Tomorrow)

9549010487843029347111   (this shows as a USPS Tracking Number on a Pink and White Label on a Fifo Book Order I received, and links to USPS)

Lastly, would the Tracking or Internal Number be printed on the Tracking Label, and Thanks.

eta: CINDY, I also just searched the Game's Forum for Players that Posted 9549 Tracking Numbers, and all but a couple of the dozen I checked DO have Tracking Details via the USPS Site, and it appears they now are mostly trackable, or do you think they only become trackable when the 90 cents is paid at the Counter?   

eta2: only a handful of the 9552 numbers are Posted in Games, and none of those have Tracking Details (but no 9552 numbers were Posted after 2/2).

(Also, I don't otherwise see any other 95** being used or Posted in any Games, and after a Quick Review of Games in their Mailing Stage)

Last Edited on: 2/5/13 9:15 PM ET - Total times edited: 6
Page: