Skip to main content
PBS logo

Discussion Forums - USPS Postal Regulations USPS Postal Regulations

Topic: Does USPS have to take ALL of my mail?

Club rule - Please, if you cannot be courteous and respectful, do not post in this forum.
  Unlock Forum posting with Annual Membership.
srslysarah avatar
Subject: Does USPS have to take ALL of my mail?
Date Posted: 1/26/2015 3:01 PM ET

I used the metered mail option to mail out 6 packages of books on Saturday. From my understanding, regardless of the weight, they will take it because it is metered. I have not had a problem with sending 4 or 5 at once, as long as I got all of the mail at the front of the box.

However, this time, I put 3 in the back and 3 in the front. My entire box was full, but they were obviously contained in the box. When I went out to check my mail, the mail person only took the front 3 and left the back three. There was my regular mail at the front of the box.

Are they not obligated to empty the entire box, if my flag is up? I've googled this and can't seem to find an answer. To remedy this, I "scheduled a pick up" of 6 packages in my box (I had 3 more to mail out today). I am hoping this will force them to empty my whole mailbox.

Has anyone else run into trouble with this? I just started listing books, so that's why I have so many going out so quickly. I hope I won't have to send as many at one time anymore, but I hate that I packaged all of those books for the recipients, only to have it delayed by two days because the mail person didn't pick up all of them.

Any other advice, aside from scheduling a pick up?

Note: Going to the post office is not a viable option due do a new neurological disorder that has left me mostly unable to drive, which is why I am using PBS instead of my library.

Motleigh avatar
Date Posted: 1/26/2015 4:21 PM ET

more than likely, the carrier just missed the packages that were clear in the back of the box. Carriers are on a tight schedule most of the time, and this carrier probably just grabbed the packages he saw, and delivered what he had for you. His vehicle might be higher or lower than yours and he couldn't see in the box. Just an honest mistake in not double checking the box.

Your best bet is to schedule the pickup, that way the carrier knows how many packages to look for. 

fangrrl avatar
Member of the Month medal
Date Posted: 1/26/2015 4:27 PM ET

Or call and discuss it with the branch postmaster.  They can probably help you with a solution.

srslysarah avatar
Date Posted: 1/26/2015 7:40 PM ET

I felt bad about scheduling at first because before I realized the metered mail and 13 oz thing, I scheduled a pick up for a single package--my first PBS packages--and the poor guy got out of the truck and came to my door to get it, even though I had marked "in the mailbox" on the website.

I scheduled a pick up for today's books and tomorrow's. It seemed to help today. Letting him know how many there will be, especially if it isn't just one really obvious one, is how I'll do it from now on. He didn't ring the bell today, so I didn't feel bad.

Thanks for the info on their schedule. I was reading another thread just now about a similar topic. I didn't realize that they were on tight schedules, so I will definitely schedule pick up to be respectful of their time.

justloux avatar
Standard Member medalMember of the Month medalBook Cover Image Group medalBook Data Correction Group medal
Date Posted: 1/26/2015 7:49 PM ET

Last Edited on: 2/17/15 8:49 PM ET - Total times edited: 1
rainbowgirl28 avatar
Standard Member medal
Date Posted: 1/26/2015 9:34 PM ET

Is it metered mail or printed online postage? Those aren't the same thing...

justloux avatar
Standard Member medalMember of the Month medalBook Cover Image Group medalBook Data Correction Group medal
Date Posted: 1/28/2015 1:47 AM ET

Last Edited on: 2/17/15 8:49 PM ET - Total times edited: 3
Bizzy1 avatar
Friend of PBS-Silver medal
Date Posted: 2/16/2015 2:27 AM ET

We have a mailbox attached to our house and my carrier refuses to take anything I put in it for outgoing no matter how small it is even the Netflix dvd's.  He balked when I walked out and asked if he could take a book I'd used printed postage on once.  We do have a blue box not even a block away but I have to go over a hwy to get to it so sometimes I just drive over to it to offload crap at night, or take them in during the day to the po.  When I called and asked they told me that since they walk they are not required to take the mail from the box only deliver the new mail, and I was informed I was supposed to use the blue box that I do use to send out stuff.  We don't have a carrier who drives though, he has to leave his truck and walk most of the route, then he walks back to his truck and does another section.  He'll walk our whole little subdivision which is about 5-6 block, get back in his car and do the next subdivision until I've only seen that much ; )

Is your mail box at the road and they drive?

CozSnShine avatar
Standard Member medalMember of the Month medalFriend of PBS-Double Diamond medalPBS Cruise Attendee medalPBS Blog Contributor medal
Date Posted: 2/21/2015 12:24 AM ET

The only mail that should be scheduled for pick up is priority mail.

My mailman picks up NO packages except scheduled priority.  When I complained at the post office I was told mail person pick up mail as a courtesy.  Their job is to deliver mail.

Now I know MOST mail persons do pick up mail.  But mine does not pick up packages.

Fulltimer avatar
Date Posted: 2/25/2015 11:32 PM ET

I thought maybe you would like to hear about great PO delivery. My sister lives in a small town in OK and if she gets mail with postage due the mail person pays for it. Of course when my sister finds out she pays her back but still how great. When we are there they have even brought our mail over to our RV for us!! 

broomhilda222 avatar
Standard Member medalFriend of PBS-Silver medalPrintable Postage medal
Date Posted: 2/26/2015 9:27 AM ET

blue-arrow.gif

Sending and Receiving Mail

Here are some useful mailing hints for senders and recipients.

Sending Mail
You can send mail by:

• Dropping it into a blue collection box.
  • Leaving it in your home mailbox.
  • Scheduling a pickup.
  • Taking it to a Post Office.

If your item weighs more than 13 ounces, and you have affixed postage stamps, you must take it to an employee at the retail counter of a Post Office.

this was copied from the USPS website. So YES, your mail person is supposed to pick up mail from your home. Thats why they put those cute little red flags on the mail boxes.

Last Edited on: 2/26/15 9:28 AM ET - Total times edited: 1
Fulltimer avatar
Date Posted: 2/26/2015 11:49 AM ET

I wonder if the leaving it in your home mailbox is the out that if it is too big for your mailbox you either have to schedule a pickup or take it in?

Grnemae avatar
Standard Member medalGame Moderator medalPrintable Postage medal
Date Posted: 3/7/2015 1:14 AM ET

I put book packages in my mail box all the time and my carrier picks them up when he delivers my mail.  One, three, seven - however many are in the box he takes them.  I use to put a rubber band around them and make stacks of  2 or 3 books until he left a note and asked me not to do that anymore as he needs to scan each package.  I have also left packages for returns for items I have ordered online when a USPS return label is in the original shipment.   I do live on what is considered a rural route where the carrier drives a truck.  

merivel avatar
Printable Postage medal
Date Posted: 9/29/2015 3:09 PM ET

My mailman drives a truck, and will generally (not always) pick-up outgoing letters. Yesterday he took the outgoing letters and left the package (over 13ox but with PBS label; no stamps). Sometimes he delivers mail but refuses to take any to the truck which blows my mind because he has to walk back to the truck anyway, and it's not like he'll have to haul it for blocks on his shoulder. I've already complained about the spotty (at best) service with little result. My husband and I have talked with the mailman about it (he was incredibly rude) and we're at a loss about what to do next. The USPS site is a quagmire where we've been unable to find a regulation that definitively supports either one of our stances. I'd LOVE to be able to post Rule 9.3.a that says you have to take my mail on my mailbox, but I just can't find it. =(

This is the best I've got, but it doesn't really have an air of officiality:

"Sending Mail
You can send mail by:

• Dropping it into a blue collection box.
  • Leaving it in your home mailbox.
  • Scheduling a pickup.
  • Taking it to a Post Office.

If your item weighs more than 13 ounces, and you have affixed postage stamps, you must take it to an employee at the retail counter of a Post Office."

Do we just have to wait for this grumpy old goat to retire?

Last Edited on: 9/29/15 3:11 PM ET - Total times edited: 1
rainbowgirl28 avatar
Standard Member medal
Date Posted: 10/5/2015 2:35 AM ET

Amanda, you need to schedule a pickup for that package via USPS.com. You no longer need to have any Priority package to do so, you can schedule it for First Class. Then he HAS to pick up the package. He's being a jerk by not picking it up right now, but he does not HAVE to unless you schedule a pickup. They also have a mobile app, it is super easy. 

merivel avatar
Printable Postage medal
Date Posted: 10/6/2015 11:36 AM ET

I would absolutely do that, Becca, but PBS postage is not first class, it's media mail. It's frustrating when USPS guidelines say I can mail small parcels from home, PBS says I can mail small parcels from home, but my postman won't take them. frown

Momof2boys avatar
Standard Member medal
Date Posted: 10/7/2015 11:48 AM ET

Have you tried speaking to the postmaster for your post office? I've found that that's the single best way to get issues resolved. Every time I've gone in person with an issue or complaint, the clerk automatically gets the postmaster, and I've found that my issues were resolved after speaking with the postmaster...at least until the letter carrier changes again...