Discussion Forums - Science Fiction

Topic: Unusual post-apoc. new book

Club rule - Please, if you cannot be courteous and respectful, do not post in this forum.
Subject: Unusual post-apoc. new book
Date Posted: 10/25/2011 11:13 AM ET

This book is new: "End of Days" and unusual. It involves nmuclear amageddon, which happens about half-way through the book.

But.....it makes the bombs like real people, with personalities, and they talk. So do animals---some animals play an important role throughout, and the animals also talk and have their own thing going. And, the Greek gods  make appearances, very contemporary language and demeanor! (It reminds me very much of a John Barth book from the  '80s.)

It's been reviewed as being unusually "literary" for this type of fiction, and while I love post-apocalypse books ---and see lots of interest here---I think this writer got caught up too much in being literary, to the detriment of being more readable and fast-moving.

I was disappointed in the apocalypse part, but the technique and the writing were interesting, at least.

Date Posted: 10/25/2011 1:41 PM ET

Betty, is that Robert Gleason's End of Days, or a different one? I love post-apocalyptic fiction; Gleason's seems like it may be one of those you either love or hate (well, based on the Amazon reviews, anyway).

Date Posted: 10/25/2011 3:52 PM ET

Yes, Robert Gleason is the author. I should check those amazon reviews to see if I'm all alone in my opinion!