Skip to main content
PBS logo

Discussion Forums - Love & Romance Love & Romance

Topic: What are we reading this week? - 1/24/10 - 1/30/10

Club rule - Please, if you cannot be courteous and respectful, do not post in this forum.
Page:   Unlock Forum posting with Annual Membership.
libsbooks avatar
Subject: What are we reading this week? - 1/24/10 - 1/30/10
Date Posted: 1/24/2010 8:58 AM ET

New week. New thread!

I just started Caleb by Sarah McCarty (TY to Jacqueline C. for granting my wish!). This is the 1st in McCarty's new Shadow Wranglers series. Shapeshifters and vamps masquerading as ranchers! Yum!

Colleen

mkmbooks avatar
Standard Member medalPrintable Postage medal
Date Posted: 1/24/2010 9:25 AM ET

I finished Feehan's Street Games. Overall I enjoyed the book, not one of her strongest, but not as bad as the last couple have been. I am looking foward to some of the next installments. Next up, I am thinking of SEP's What I Did For Love.

lighthouse-lady avatar
Date Posted: 1/24/2010 9:49 AM ET

Colleen - I almost picked that up (Caleb) last night to start, but went with something else instead.  I'm curious to see what you think of it.

I'm reading Tasting Fear by Shannon McKenna.

Generic Profile avatar
Date Posted: 1/24/2010 9:55 AM ET

I'm curious about Caleb too! I have a couple of hers in my TBR including thise one..ok a few I guess..stil have Sam's Creed, Tucker's Claim, the other werewolf one, and Caleb..so hurry up and let us know how it is LOL!

I'm still reading a christian mystery (I knew the author wrote christian but didn't know if this series was but yep it is!) The Wedding Caper by Janice Thompson. It's ok but I liked Fools Rush In a lot more!

lighthouse-lady avatar
Date Posted: 1/24/2010 12:44 PM ET

Susannah, I have Tucker's Claim on my TBR, too, but I've been holding off until I get Sam's Creed.  I'm #6 on the WL for it, so hopefully it won't be too much longer.  I loved Caine's Reckoning and I like to read series books in order.  lol

rubberducky avatar
Friend of PBS-Silver medal
Date Posted: 1/24/2010 12:51 PM ET

I'm reading Scoundrel's Kiss by Carrie Lofty.  Seems really good, but I'm forcing myself to slow down & not blast through it like I usually do.

willaful avatar
Date Posted: 1/24/2010 3:58 PM ET

Just finished skimming Storm of Shadows by Christina Dodd. Bad as only Dodd can be bad, though more readable that the first one. I'm kicking myself for not voting for that as the worst romance of 2009, but I wanted to burn Linda Howard's Ice. ;-)

I-F-Letty avatar
Member of the Month medalFriend of PBS-Silver medalPBS Blog Contributor medal
Date Posted: 1/24/2010 6:55 PM ET

I am reading The Bride Finder by Susan Carroll.

RedWingHockeyFan avatar
Date Posted: 1/24/2010 7:27 PM ET

I read / finished THE SHEIK AND THE BOUGHT BRIDE by Susan Mallery

sfields avatar
Date Posted: 1/24/2010 8:23 PM ET

I'm finishing up Brides of Prairie Gold by Maggie Osborne. Very good story. I just loved reading about these women on the wagon train. Oh, the drama...lol. I don't know how she does it but she creates these snooty characters that I hate but gets me to sympathize with them anyway.

I also am reading the anthology Must Love Hellhounds. I pretty much wanted to read it for the Ilona Andrews story, which was good. There was one by Meljean Brook that was just kinda eh, and now I'm reading the one by Charlaine Harris and it has nothing to do with Sookie's world (or any other of her series I know about) so it's kinda interesting to see where this one goes, I'm just a few pages in so far.

willaful avatar
Date Posted: 1/24/2010 9:07 PM ET

Started Dogs and Goddesses and it wasn't doing much for me so switched over to the third Sookie Stackhouse, which isn't doing much for me either. :-\ One of those days.

mamadoodle avatar
Date Posted: 1/24/2010 9:12 PM ET

I finished Ravyn's Flight by Patti O'Shea and loved it.  Also still reading (slowly) Lisa Kleypas's Smooth Talking Stranger.  
And I'm skimming Linda Ford's Dakota Child.  Its a Love Inspired and not as good as I'd hoped it would be.

NewRuth avatar
Date Posted: 1/24/2010 10:02 PM ET

Thirty Nights with a Highland Husband
by Melissa Mayhue

I'm just starting it.  I'm hopeful.

Generic Profile avatar
Standard Member medal
Date Posted: 1/24/2010 11:10 PM ET

Hi, everyone!  I'm about to start book three of Larissa Ione's Demonica series--I enjoyed books 1 and 2 quite a bit, and am looking forward to this brother's story, Wraith.  I just finished the second book in the Blaze Dressed to Thrill miniseries, Samantha Hunter's Caught in the Act.  I've definitely read better from her; it was a cute story, but some of the secondary characters bugged me and I wasn't thrilled with this particular heroine.  It might have something to do with my skimming, but I'm not entirely sure reading more slowly would have helped either.  Have begun book three, Hold on to the Nights, by Karen Foley, and I'm liking it so far.

bibliobuff avatar
Date Posted: 1/24/2010 11:12 PM ET

The last story in the Immortal Bad Boys anthology that I finished this morning was pretty good, one of the better ones in the book, actually. It was by Linda Thomas Sundstrom, and it doesn't look as if she has written much else, which is a shame.

I've moved on to One More Time by Celia May Hart, my first by this erotica author. Not my favorite plotline (time travel), but it's made even worse by the fact that the heroine doesn't even question the fact that she traveled back to Regency England. Not a "how did this happen" or "I need to get back now!" mindset at all. She just settles herself right in and starts having sex. I guess I've come to expect too much from my erotica authors.

mamadoodle avatar
Date Posted: 1/25/2010 8:58 AM ET

I skimmed Dakota Child by Linda Ford.  Ugh.   Quick synopsis:  heroine TSTL, secret baby plot, beta male, see-through plot.

Going to try and finish Smooth Talking Stranger  today or tomorrow.  I'm off for 2 days and have so much to do!

ncflyergal avatar
Date Posted: 1/25/2010 9:16 AM ET

I just finished Kiss of Crimson by Lara Adrian and I must say I wasn't too impressed. Does the series get better? I have four more in the series to read and I'd really hate to waste my time if they're not good.

lovetocruise avatar
Date Posted: 1/25/2010 9:20 AM ET

Finished Wild Oats by Pamela Morsi. Is is hard to beat  one of her Americana type books. 

Scholli avatar
Date Posted: 1/25/2010 9:23 AM ET

Well, I got hooked into the Virgin River series by Robyn Carr. I requested the second and third book in the series from my library, so over the weekend I read Shelter Mountain and I'm now reading Whispering Rock. I'm really enjoying these books - I love the characters and the pacing of the romance and just everything about it. It's a nice change from the other contemporary romances I have been reading.

redmama87 avatar
Date Posted: 1/25/2010 11:25 AM ET

I Love the first three in Robyn Carr's Virgin River series.  The rest are good as well but the first three are the best imo. I am reading Liz Carlyle  One Little Sin,Two Little Lies, Three Little Secrets.  I like One Little Sin but I had to get over the ick factor of the age difference and the whole I am the father of your sister thing that went on. I also think the way it was resolved was stupid.  I am trying to get started on Two little Lies right now but there is some over lapping story here and I hate that.

rubberducky avatar
Date Posted: 1/25/2010 11:56 AM ET

I'm going into the final third of Scoundrel's Kiss, and it's dragging a bit.  It's a good story, but a little melodramatic.  Not as good as What a Scoundrel Wants, unfortunately.

willaful avatar
Date Posted: 1/25/2010 1:45 PM ET

I just finished Kiss of Crimson by Lara Adrian and I must say I wasn't too impressed. Does the series get better? I have four more in the series to read and I'd really hate to waste my time if they're not good.

None of them has really stood out for me, so I'd say no.

bibliobuff avatar
Date Posted: 1/25/2010 3:49 PM ET

I ended up completely enthralled with the storyline in Celia May Hart's One More Time, despite my original judgement. A unique plot, with lots....and I mean lots.....of sex. That was one HOT book! I think I'll start another of hers, Show Me, which will finish off another short TBR-stint for a trade. I'm not sure my brain is up for another round of Hart's debauchery, though, lol.

flchris avatar
Member of the Month medalFriend of PBS-Silver medalPBS Blog Contributor medal
Date Posted: 1/25/2010 4:36 PM ET

Hello all!  I've been taking a little break from Romance and concentrating on some HF and CF, but Elizabeth Hoyt's Four Soldiers series finally worked its way to the top of my TBR.  So I'm reading To Taste Temptation....nearing the end and I love it. The characters make sense.  I like the way that the little "who-dun-it" thread weaves its way through the book, not just tacked on to the end as we've seen recently in some other popular Romance.  Just enough humor, just enough heat for me...looking forward to the rest of the series!

mamadoodle avatar
Date Posted: 1/25/2010 5:58 PM ET

OMGGGGGGGGGGGGG I just finished Smooth Talking Stranger by Lisa Kleypas.  I'm leaving my husband for Jack Travis.

Page: