Skip to main content
PBS logo

Discussion Forums - Contemporary Fiction

Topic: What Contemporary Lit is everyone reading this week?

Club rule - Please, if you cannot be courteous and respectful, do not post in this forum.
Page:   Unlock Forum posting with Annual Membership.
megt avatar
Date Posted: 1/9/2012 7:05 PM ET

Carole - I liked "Summer House", that was one that stayed with me; I can still remember the storyline.

I am reading "Every Last One", it is really engrossing.  Quindlen writes everyday things in such an interesting way.  Not sure f it qualifies as Contemporary or Chick Lit, I would say Contemporary because it is not “light” subject matter, but I have trouble classifying books.

craftnut avatar
PBS Blog Contributor medal
Date Posted: 1/10/2012 6:55 PM ET

MegT, I did like it.  Since you remember the story, you might enjoy reading our discussion of The Summerhouse now that we are discussing it.  See the book club posts in the September Hot topics forum, we hijacked it for the basement book club.

Started A Reliable Wife for next month's discussion.

megt avatar
Date Posted: 1/10/2012 9:17 PM ET

Thanks - I will look into that, I have read Reliable Wife too!

megt avatar
Date Posted: 1/13/2012 7:14 PM ET

I have finished Don’t Breathe a Word and then Every Last One, both were really good.  I just started Garden Spells.  I keep picking up small books; I will have to tackle some of the larger historical fictions on my TBR soon.

janete avatar
Date Posted: 1/18/2012 9:01 PM ET

Just finished Jennifer Weiner's Best Friends Forever, for the Crabgrass Frontier category of the challenge.

This is a fun and fast read about friendship, the trials of growing up, surviving adolescence and navigating the challenges of young adulthood.

I first heard about Jennifer Weiner on one of Maureen Corrigan’s book reviews on NPR, and listened closely because she’s introduced me to many really good writers, and she reads widely and eclectically, as a good reader does.  I’ve since learned that Jennifer Weiner is a prolific writer and I will track down her other novels (at least one of which has been made into a film). Highly recommended, with 3.5 stars.

Page: