Skip to main content
PBS logo

Discussion Forums - Questions about PaperBackSwap Questions about PaperBackSwap

Topic: What was my obligation?

Club rule - Please, if you cannot be courteous and respectful, do not post in this forum.
  Unlock Forum posting with Annual Membership.
audiolady avatar
Subject: What was my obligation?
Date Posted: 2/23/2012 3:49 AM ET

I received a request for one of my audiobooks recently. All info was correctly listed including that it was an mp3 format. I also sent a pm to requestor saying it was mp3. When she got it - on time and in good condition, she could not play it in her vehicles because of the format. She marked it RWAP and requested I return her credits. She would mail back to me. She suggested I contact pbs suggesting they create an mp3 category (I agree). I gave back her credits and she mailed the cd yesterday. I should get it soon. I also told her that she might check the format before requesting because it was correctly listed. Others might refuse a refund. What was my obligation in this case.

Last Edited on: 2/23/12 8:51 AM ET - Total times edited: 1
flfraidycat avatar
Date Posted: 2/23/2012 4:01 AM ET

I think you went over and above...if the ISBN and format description matched your product she shouldn't have been able to mark it RWAP, and the fact that she did, even though you also PM'd her to confirm , and returned her credit - you are a very nice person and she's out of line IMO, It is the requester's obligation to order the proper format

EmilyKat avatar
Limited Member medalTour Guide medalFriend of PBS-Silver medal
Date Posted: 2/23/2012 4:05 AM ET
I've seen the term Playaway at the library and on PBS. Would that be clearer to someone who is unfamiliar with MP3s?
kilchurn avatar
Member of the Month medalFriend of PBS-Gold medalPBS Cruise Attendee medal10th Anniversary PBS Cruise Attendee medalPBS Blog Contributor medal
Date Posted: 2/23/2012 6:13 AM ET

A playaway is an actual device similar in size to most thumb drives.  The Onus is on the requester to make sure that what they are requesting is actually what they need.  If your item matched the PBS listing as you specified, then I think you went above and beyond what was called for in this situation.

Generic Profile avatar
Member of the Month medalFriend of PBS-Silver medal
Date Posted: 2/23/2012 8:20 AM ET

I mail out a lot of MP3 CDs.  I would not have refunded the credit if the listing said it was MP3CD.  Now you better hope she is actually mailing it back to you or that it doesn't go lost.   Then you'll be out the 2 credits, the original postage you spend and the disc.   It's the senders responsibility to make sure the book listing matches what they are posting and the requestors responsibility to make sure they are ordering what they want and can use.

Generic Profile avatar
Date Posted: 2/23/2012 12:13 PM ET

There is no way in the world I would refund a credit (or two) for such a thing.  Your responsibility is to mail the accurate book in good condition.  Whether or not it works in her car is NOT your problem.

fangrrl avatar
Member of the Month medal
Date Posted: 2/23/2012 1:18 PM ET

The PBS database lists the book as MP3 and you PM'd?  I agree Vernessa, you went above and beyond.  It's the requester's responsibility to know what they need...this is worse than still shopping while the clerk is checking you out at the grocery store.

Plus a RWAP on your record for her format experiment? ... Grrrrr.

Spuddie avatar
Friend of PBS-Gold medalPBS Blog Contributor medal
Date Posted: 2/23/2012 1:28 PM ET

Yup, I agree too...you went over and above what was expected of you. I would not have refunded her credits...personally, I think even PM'ing her about it beforehad was above and beyond the call of duty...if the listing stated MP3CD on it and the ISBN and other information jived...you don't NEED to do anything else. To me that's kind of like posting a book and sending a PM to alert someone that it's an ex-library book...since ex-library books are not disallowed by PBS (unless they don't meet other posting guidelines) there is no need to send that PM, and anyone who wants to NOT get them needs an RC stating so.

Perhaps the requestor needs an RC stating, "if this is an MP3 CD set, please decline as they don't work in my CD player." Then you wouldn't have had to bother with all this crapola. I hope she actually sends back your CDs!

Cheryl

robdee avatar
Date Posted: 2/23/2012 1:34 PM ET

Vernessa, you did everything right; so there was no need to refund her credit.  She should have made the effort to check if it was in the proper format.

-RD

audiolady avatar
Subject: Thanks All
Date Posted: 2/25/2012 3:51 AM ET

I made the same mistake when I first joined PBS.  I was able to use the CD b/c I played it on my computer so I was not harmed. 

I just hope someone else requests the audiobook now.  wink