Discussion Forums - Love & Romance Love & Romance

Topic: What are we reading? July 27 - August 2

Club rule - Please, if you cannot be courteous and respectful, do not post in this forum.
Page:   Unlock Forum posting with Annual Membership.
Date Posted: 7/28/2008 4:19 PM ET

yesterday i read 50 Ways to Hex Your Lover by Linda Wisdom.  there wasn't a whole lot of romance in it since the two main characters have been on & off repeatedly over the last 300 years so they already know each other quite well, but it was entertaining enough i think i'll try the next one that comes out later this year.  i think my favorite characters were Fluff & Puff - the bunny slippers that will eat anything they can get their rather sharp teeth into and mutter a lot.

Date Posted: 7/28/2008 4:38 PM ET

Love your avatar, Ellen!

Date Posted: 7/28/2008 5:06 PM ET

Love, Come to Me - Lisa Kleypas. 

Enjoying it.  Unfortunately, although it's got 37 people on the WL for it, it's an unpostable (very badly warped and water damage?), so guess I'll post it as an unpostable when I'm finished with it.  Finished it and it's on it's way to a new home.

Just started - CAPTIVATED - an anthology.  Pat

Last Edited on: 7/30/08 12:25 PM ET - Total times edited: 1
Date Posted: 7/28/2008 6:03 PM ET

I finished listening to 'agnes and the hitman' - hilarious! of course there were 'disposable people' as I call them when they have to kill someone and had to read that in the humor it was intended..sigh..wish I didn't take things so serious! might have to re-listen to the ending 'cause a lot was going on then and not sure who all were the 'bad guys'!

now I'm trying another download - not as good a system since It hink these delete or disable even on the mp3 player after 21 days...not sure and couldnt' get a straight answer from the help desk...but all 3 of my libraries use Overdrive where it's 14 days and they stay on themp3 after that date but one library also has 'netlibrary' I think it's called and its 21 days and you download the 'license' to play it .didnt' think it transferred but I saw an 'unknown' on the menua nd that was one of the books so figured I'd start listening to it and even if it disappears at least I'll have listened to it and just have to download again if I want to listen to it on a trip or something - dixie cash's 'since you're leaving anyways, take out the trash'...supposed to be funny but it's 10 plus hours so it better be LOL!

Date Posted: 7/28/2008 6:11 PM ET

I finally got started on His Every Kiss by Laura Lee Guhrke.  It's pretty good so far.  Have to say that overall I'm really enjoying her books.  Been picking up some of the rare ones here & there through thrift store finds & half.com purchases.

Date Posted: 7/28/2008 6:20 PM ET

Brenda - yep, I said dragons!  LOL    There's a few I've read that have been pretty good.   Gena Showalter had one as part of her Atlantis series - "Heart of the Dragon".  Deborah Cooke's "Kiss" series. Shana Abe's "Thief" series.  I know there's others too, just can't think of them right off.

Sherri

Date Posted: 7/28/2008 7:06 PM ET

Ellen-I LOVED Fluff and Puff! They were the best characters in the book, IMHO. The book was ok, I'll read the next one too.

Finished Darkness Everlasting and am now reading Bones to Ashes by Kathy Reichs.

Date Posted: 7/28/2008 7:57 PM ET

Love Come To Me

Pat I would be interested in ordering from you to get this book as an upostable , when you are finished reading it of course. I have been on the wish list for this book since 2/20/2007. I'll be watching for your offer.

Sally

Date Posted: 7/28/2008 8:17 PM ET

Now I'm feeling like picking up His Every Kiss, Kim. I really like LLG...my only bad experience with her was the sequel to HEK and it wasn't a bad book per se, but my most hated plot.

I'm currently reading The Lost Duke of Wyndham. It's going OK but I feel that something's missing.

Date Posted: 7/28/2008 9:15 PM ET

I've listened to about an hour of 'since you're leaving anyways, take out the trash' by dixie cash on my mp3..didn't have time to walk today :-( might here at work but not sure with the person I'm working with plus it's hot :-( but I listened to it in the traffic driving to weight watchers then while taking the 'back roads' to work so all that added up to close to an hour..about 48 min I think by the time the guard opened the gate at work LOL! I'ts pretty good so far.think it's more of a mystery adn one of these strong willed couples who divorced over stupidity that wasn't stupidity at the time...he wanted her to give up rodeo and she told him to pack up and get out and he did..and she had to give up rodeo to make a living and didnt' even miss it...sigh...but all that flashed back in the first 20 min or so..it starts off with her in her hair salon s he owns getting a late notice on her truck payment and the heat of west Texas and gossip that the town slut married to the richest man/family in town 'done run off to fort worth' but turns out she's deader than a doornail...anyways, it has my interest enough to keep listening at least for a while longer!

also still reading 'face the fire' by nora roberts and not sure if I'll ever get this book finished LOL - been too complicated for work!

Date Posted: 7/28/2008 9:15 PM ET

I finished Guardian's Keep by Lori Devoti this morning, and started the next one, Wild Hunt.  I have really enjoyed the series so far and this one looks like it'll be good too.

Anne

Date Posted: 7/29/2008 1:13 AM ET

i just finished The Undead Next Door (Love at Stake, Bk 4) by Kerrelyn Sparks.  enjoyable, and on par with the rest of the series.

Date Posted: 7/29/2008 1:24 AM ET

I took a walk and listened to another 30 min of the Dixie Cash book - it's funny! :-)

also read a little more in 'face the fire'. just gonna have to suck it up and plow through this one LOL! understanding or not!

Date Posted: 7/29/2008 6:29 AM ET

D.G. - Regarding the Lost Duke of Wyndham - I was more interested in the 2 supporting characters (that will end up getting their own book) than in the main characters.

Date Posted: 7/29/2008 10:17 AM ET

You know Susan, I think that's the problem. There was just too little emphasis on the couple because there were other people fighting for our attention. Thomas has a 'next hero' sign in his forehead and I don't like how careful JQ has been with him for us to like him (he was a friend of the current heroine, he's starchy but a good man, blah, blah, blah.) He doesn't seem real to me - it amazes me that we don't know what he looks like, just that his figure is similar to Jack's - and I really don't care for Amelia either.

I really don't know why Jack & Grace fell in love, they just did and I really don't care. I don't feel a real conflict - the business of 'I can't marry a Duke' is ridiculous and although I understand that for Jack would be difficult to be a Duke (given his temperament and other problems), worse things could happen to people than to be handed fortune and power. He supposedly cares so much about the maimed soldiers and their families, well, now this will be a chance to help them!

Date Posted: 7/29/2008 11:53 AM ET

Well, I finished His Every Kiss late last night.  My final opinion of it is that it's good, but there were parts of it that I thought could have been much better.  For one thing, I thought the internal conflict between Grace & Dylan was a little contrived.  I liked the scene where he finds out about the paintings, and appreciated that for what it was.  It conveyed his feelings and his jealousy of her late husband very well, IMO, and the excerpt of that scene that Willa posted in the Guess the Book thread is what made me order the book.  On the other hand, the action that Dylan took afterward - the way he behaved toward Grace - seemed pretty over the top to me.  And when he tries to make ammends... I dunno, if that had been me, I think I would have bent him over and crammed those roses up his butt - thorns & all.  Overall, I felt that the last couple of chapters were a little thin because of this.  The conflict comes in so late in the story, which probably contributes to the contrived feel of it as well.  Both characters had so many emotional obstacles in the way of their HEA, and the conflict - Dylan's reaction to it and subsequent actions - seemed somewhat unworthy of everything that had come before it.  Just MHO.  I gave it an A-.  Mostly because I think I might read it again at some point to see if some of it goes down a little easier.   Initially, I was leaning toward a B.

Date Posted: 7/29/2008 1:10 PM ET

I just finished Shadows at Sunset. Pretty typical Anne Stuart, but she's kinder to her less sympathetic characters than usual. And I liked the ghosts. Still slogging through Out of Control by Shannon McKenna. Also finishing Indiscreet by Candace Camp.

Date Posted: 7/29/2008 1:11 PM ET

I'm currently reading The Undead Next Door by Kerrelyn Sparks. It's moving along at a decent pace, but I'm ready for something to happen.

Next I'll probably read...another vampire book on my shelf in preperation for Breaking Dawn by Stephenie Meyer.

Date Posted: 7/29/2008 2:23 PM ET

Finished up The Colonel's Daughter by Merline Lovelace.  It was pretty good....typical western.  Not sure what I'm reading next....going to see what comes in the mail today first.

Sherri

Updated......tried to read Parallel Heat by Deidre Knight but just couldn't get into it.  Now I'm going to see if The Secret Soldier by Jennifer Morey holds my interest.

Last Edited on: 7/29/08 5:17 PM ET - Total times edited: 1
Date Posted: 7/29/2008 6:28 PM ET

Well! I got off work at 5 am and decided to stay up and finish 'face the fire' by nora roberts to end that trilogy! not sure that was the best idea I've had ina while though it DOES feel good to have finished it! However with being so tired and that storlline I had bad dreams about evil then woke up with this other dream that m ust have spun off of that one but it would make a great book what I can remember this guy was brutally murdering women..cutting them up, torture etc but first he would have the best sex ever with them so any witnesses heard screamso f, um , happiiness! then they'd be found dead. and these 2 cops,one young and blond who would sometimes get sarcastic.anyways turned out I ended up in the damn dream and realized the cop was the one doing it and then right before waking up I was flipping pages in a book to see what happened ot me LOL..crrazy and no I don't remember the best sex ever dammit..woke up too soon! but at least Id idn't get cut up and mutilated...

hee hee anyways, Face the Fire was a bit intesne for me and I'm still not sure I understood at the end how the current witch fulfilled what she was s upposed to but o h well..she got her guy and finally understood that a 19 yr old or anyonefor that matter could possible be as confident and secure in the f uture she managed to see and accepted that and took the present instead of dwelling on the past..still not my fave character..as strong and stubborn as this woman was I'm s uprised the man actually go to get on top! :-)

want to listen tomore of the dixie cash story - it's pretty f unny so far but I'm not quite 2 hours into it yet. these audiobooks are pretty cool once I got used to them!

Date Posted: 7/29/2008 6:41 PM ET

I finished Whiskey Sour and I'm currently reading Craving Kismet by Jamie Craig.

Date Posted: 7/29/2008 9:01 PM ET

Loved No Control by Shannon Butcher.  I think there's going to be more than 1 more in this series.  I'm sure Grant Kelly will be next. But she introduced 5 more potential heroes in the book. 4 were fellow Special Forces guys and then there was a cop that I thought would make a good hero. 

I started On Thin Ice by Cherry Adair today.  Not far enough into it to offer an opinion yet.  I'm kind of wondering how she's going to handle the sex scenes since it takes place on the Ididirod.  Talk about blue balls. 

Date Posted: 7/29/2008 11:43 PM ET

Oh my gosh, you guys.  I was at Kroger today and I saw the new Sherry Thomas book, Delicious in the book aisle, so I snagged a copy.  I am sooo into it:P  I started it late this afternoon & I'm halfway through.  It's really good.  I mean, really exceptionally original & cool in terms of story, super-hot on the romance, even though we're talking about another back & forth time-jumping, story unfolding through flashbacks type of book, like Private Arrangements was.  And there's this neat secondary romance popping up in here in a somewhat unexpected place, and I love it too:P  I'm crossing fingers & toes & anything else I can get to cross that it stays this good, because I like it about 10 times better than I liked Private Arrangements, and it has all of the early signs of being a keeper.

Date Posted: 7/30/2008 5:59 AM ET

Kim, I hope it holds out for you!

I listened tomore of  the Dixie Cash book on audio while driving to and from a friend's house..it's funny! a lot of descriptions going on but parts are LOL funny to me..maybe 'cause I'm from Texas and 'get' the stuff..I laughed when she went to hermom's for some leftovers and her mom reached in the space between the fridge and cabinet and pulled out a paper sack and proceeded ot fill it with assorted margarine containers..my mom and whole family used those and cool whip containers for years to hold leftovers! now shejust got back from her first date in years since her 3 yr old divorce and her ex and his new gf showe dup....ex and newbie stayed sober while she and her date got drunk so he drove them home and nail glued the g uy's zipper shut!(they still love each ot her only too stubborn to talk it out) they g uy had to cut his pants to take a leek and was hurting everywhere since he fell down teh stairs at the restaurant...he though debbie s ue had just been too much woman for him or something and threw his back out! really cute in places.

also read more of 'triple play' by rhyannon byrd before going ot my friend's..it's a darn wonder I made it there!

Date Posted: 7/30/2008 8:26 AM ET

Well I finished up The Secret Soldier and for a short (and getting shorter) Harlequin it  was pretty good!  But then again, I'm a sucker for an alpha male soldier story. LOL    I also finally finished up the anthology by Joan Johnston I was reading called Hawks Way Grooms.  That was really good too.

Today I'm going to start reading With Every Breath by Lynn Kurland....its her new one.

Sherri

Page: