Discussion Forums - Love & Romance Love & Romance

Topic: What are we reading this week? 11-13 thru 11-19....

Club rule - Please, if you cannot be courteous and respectful, do not post in this forum.
Page:   Unlock Forum posting with Annual Membership.
Date Posted: 11/16/2011 10:27 AM ET

I finished Seduction of a Highland Lass by Maya Banks.  It was LOADS better than the first one.  I almost loved it!  I loved Alaric & Keeley... the only thing I *didn't* love was how long it took Alaric to put Keeley first.  I get the whole "put duty and loyalty to the clan above all else" and all that, but it's a romance novel.... I want him to put his LADY first!  lol

I have high hopes for Caelen's story... hope it doesn't disappoint.  I'm not thrilled with Rionna as the heroine (I don't even like trying to say that name in my head), but there's something about the bitter, sarcastic, unfeeling guy.... the tougher they are, the harder they fall.  While I wait for that book to get to me, I'm reading Bad Boys Do by Victoria Dahl.  I am loving Jamie, and the snappy dialogue, the uptight heroine and the older woman/younger man scenerio. 

Date Posted: 11/16/2011 6:11 PM ET

"the mouse and the motorcycle guy" -- what an awesome title that would be!

I DNF'd the first Banks highlander book, but will give the second a try.

Date Posted: 11/16/2011 6:46 PM ET

yep that would be a cute title Willa! I think the title is Simply Irrisistible! finished early this morning and it was pretty good - I still dont care much for her 2 half sisters - tara and chloe - maddie was 'the mouse' and chloe is 'the wild one' or something along those lines and tara's the 'steel magnolia' - what their mother sorta nicknamed them to her friends. tara has some sort of history with the guy who owns the bar and I hate prior history romances plus I didnt' care for her in Maddie's story..anyone read these other stories (if both are o ut!) and any comments?! otherwise I may go on to You Dont Know Jack by Erin McCarthy - it fits one of the RT challenges I'm doing..also have Shalvis' 2nd 'animal' title I may read..have a TON of library books - too bad I didn't get all these at Christmas when I have time off for reading!

Date Posted: 11/16/2011 7:07 PM ET

Susanna, Chloe's story is not out yet but should be soon- later this month, I think.  I did read Tara's story, and compared to the first one, it was just ok.  I had a few issues with it, not the least of which Tara is just, to me, an unlikeable character.  This is what I said in my Goodreads review: "Just ok for me. I *LOVED* Simply Irresistible, but did not like this one nearly as much. Tara was a rather unlikeable character in Simply Irresistible, and she really wasn't much better in this book. Even after finding out more about her past and what her issues are, I still don't like her. I found myself wondering what the heck the hero saw in her, apart from the obvious. Meh. "

Also, there is a facet to her story that is a common pet peeve that I see mentioned often in this forum, though I don't want to spoil it for those who haven't read it and want to, so highlight only if you want to know:  secret baby

I am actually looking forward to the third one- I didn't really have any problems with Chloe, and am curious to see if there's a guy out there who can tame her, lol.

Oh, and I really liked Animal Magnetism, more than the first one, I think.

Last Edited on: 11/16/11 7:08 PM ET - Total times edited: 1
Date Posted: 11/16/2011 9:00 PM ET

thanks Leslie- yep I was afraid I wouldnt' like Tara 's story - Chloe isn't as bad IMO just the daredevil stuff...I think I'll pm you about Tara.something I wanna know about in her book that's a definite deal breaker..

I've barely started You Don't Know Jack by Erin McCarthy - may not work out since there are already 4 women's names and 2's about my limit to keep straight! add in the hero and who knows who all else and I might get lost - plus it's deception from the sound of it..oh well maybe there's some good sex to make up for it!

lookingfo rward to Animal Magnetism then!

Date Posted: 11/16/2011 9:36 PM ET

Michelle, Bad Boys Do is my current book to read at work.  I just leave it there and read it on my lunch break and afternoon break.  I'm really enjoying it too!

My read at home book right now is Thrice United by Lauren Dane.  Started in on Monday night after I finished off No Place to Run (which was really good) but I haven't had a chance to read any more.  Loooooong day yesterday and I'm still really tired tonight so not sure I'll get to it.  I just wanna crawl in bed and sleep.

Date Posted: 11/16/2011 11:49 PM ET

Lesley, I so guessed that spoiler... I don't think you even need to have it as a spoiler. ;-)

I never read the 2nd book but just got the third from netGalley, will be reading it shortly and will report in. I didn't like either sister much either, but maybe I'll like Chloe more in her own book, like Eric in Real Men Will.

I need to finish The Other Guy's Bride -- haven't felt in the mood for adventure lately. Then on to the Shalvis and Eternal Rider by Larissa Ione.

Date Posted: 11/17/2011 10:25 AM ET

Yeah Willa, Susanna reminded me when she PMed me that they slipped it in at the end of book 1, but it's been a few months since I read either book, so I couldn't remember!  That's what's so frustrating about authors who space their books out so much, I can't retain enough detail between books!

Date Posted: 11/17/2011 11:33 AM ET

Finished reading The Bride Blunder by Kelly Marie Hake.  It was good - I cried.  Always the sign of a good book.  Not sure what I'm reading next

Reading Seal of My Dreams anthology....which Willa I got at NetGalley!

Last Edited on: 11/17/11 5:25 PM ET - Total times edited: 1
Date Posted: 11/17/2011 11:32 PM ET

I'm about 1/4 into You Don't Know Jack  - it's cute - multimillionaire hero who's trying to investigate illegal day trading at her work - she doesn't know he's her roommate's brother who rejected her proposal for funding. lots of sex focus but it' son both sides so not so bad - guess it'll be a light read which is good (cross my fingers!)

Date Posted: 11/18/2011 10:57 AM ET

I finished the SEAL of My Dreams anthology and it was very good. Some I liked better than others but I'd definitely recommend it.

Date Posted: 11/18/2011 1:17 PM ET

Started Eternal Rider... don't understand a word! Darn it, I have the next one to review. That's what I get for impulsive ordering.

Date Posted: 11/18/2011 2:51 PM ET
Date Posted: 11/18/2011 3:46 PM ET

I started Bring Me Home for Christmas by Robyn Carr.  Ehhh, just so-so for me at this point.  The heroine is kind of whiny and immature, hero is a big softie who is maybe a little bit too nice for her.  The highlight so far has been Preacher getting bad-ass on him about being nice to the heroine...gotta love when Preacher talks tough!  I don't know if it's enough to make up for the heroine though, who has several times now noted how she doesn't want her mom to find out about something...she's 25, not 15, geez grow up already.  Meh.  I'll finish it, because it's Robyn Carr, but I'm definitely not loving this one.

Date Posted: 11/18/2011 5:21 PM ET

I just notice my blank post above - wonder what I was thinking!?!?

I did finished a November Blaze that needed to be mailed today - it took me nearly a week to finish it off, the story didn't grab me and I wasn't crazy about the main characters.

Now I'm back to reading STICKY FINGERS/Nancy Martin which I had to renew as it was coming due tomorrow. Also still have 2 anthologies to-be-finished, hope to get them done by the end of the month. My reading urges still aren't up to par this month.

Gail

Date Posted: 11/18/2011 5:48 PM ET

Just finished Found by Evangeline Anderson and enjoyed it.

http://www.amazon.com/Found-Brides-Kindred-ebook/dp/B005VXOJ08/ref=sr_1_1?s=digital-text&ie=UTF8&qid=1321650025&sr=1-1 

Now reading Bitter Creek's Redemption by T. A. Chase

Date Posted: 11/18/2011 5:57 PM ET

Lesley I read that one a week or so ago - I didn't like the heroine either and it gets sappy sweet near the end with the Christmas stuff. I dont like her because she's practically engaged to antoher guy and takes off to check out the true love who dumped her unfairly(the dude was maybe 20 yrs old and had no family - his mom just died -and he rejoine the military in his grief and confusion..sheesh..she quit eating after he left and h as let her entire 'sensible' family blame him for being such an a$4hole...um yeah we all want happy ever after at 20 yrs old and hold grudges for years! nope didn't like her and only marginally liked her later but her clinginess to her mom is ridiculous just beyond ridiculous. at least mel was tolerable and I didn't have to see Vanni in it!

still reading You Don't Know Jack by Erin McCarthy - meh- sex and deceit - she's about to find out who he really is I think - right after lots and lots of nookie they just had..figures!

Date Posted: 11/18/2011 8:24 PM ET

Reading Songs of love and Death, an anthology of "star-crossed lovers"; reading it for the Diana Gabaldon short story about Roger Mackenzie's parents. Good so far!

Date Posted: 11/18/2011 9:00 PM ET

Finished off Thrice United by Lauren Dane today.  Good book, worth the read if you've read the other ones in that series.

Picked up an anthology next, Hot For Teacher.

Date Posted: 11/18/2011 9:08 PM ET

Sarah you're gonna have to come up for some air girl!

I'm still on the same book - probably finish tonight or in the morning if I stay up all night sewing.

Date Posted: 11/18/2011 11:20 PM ET

Someone just sent me 11 books that were on my WL.  Plus, I had the day off today and it snowed all day so I stayed in.  More snow tomorrow so I should get some more reading in!

Date Posted: 11/18/2011 11:53 PM ET

I just finished  Boots and Bullets by B.J. Daniels, a Harlequin Intrigue form 2010.  It took me almost 4 days to read it due to this darn cold I've caught!  Luckily I am now on Thanksgiving Break and all of my students papers are graded so I can concenrate on what I want to read for the next week or so.

Lesley was kind enough to send me Bad Boys Do by Victoria Dahl so I will definately be starting that this week.

Date Posted: 11/18/2011 11:59 PM ET

I haven't been reading as much, as I have been studying for a test. I will study really hard this weekend and take and PASS my test Monday and then I will resume my regular scheduled reading time.

Date Posted: 11/19/2011 1:29 AM ET

wow you hit the jackpot Sarah!

I finally finished You Don't Know Jack - Erin McCarthy -s imple story basically nothing like the description on the back. the back sounds like he's the heroine's roomie brother the mulitbillionaire who's following the heroine around because of some dangerous(possibly) guy in her oganization who's doing illegal daytrading with the funds. he's part of the charitable group that turned down major f unding for a program near and dear to her heart(we hear about this once and she's actually ok with that) but they basically have sex and she finds out who he really is(of course) and he tries to win her back figuring out in 5 seconds who the 'bad guy' is messing with her funds. ok overall a cute easy read which is right up my alley but I'm a bit pizzed at the description. not sure which is book 1 'cause I think this was book 2 and I guess the other 2 roomies will get a story each...maybe...didn't think she had any books I hadn't read or heard about so will have to check her backlist

Date Posted: 11/19/2011 6:45 AM ET

dang was looking forward to the janet chapman book I got frm the librry thinking it was book2 of another series and think it's the first book that I've already read darn it. so I started a blaze - royally claimed by marie donovan and dang is it a hot one! 3rd in a trilogy and so far it's a winner like the first 2 books!

Page: