Discussion Forums - Love & Romance Love & Romance

Topic: What are we reading this week? July 19-25, 2009

Club rule - Please, if you cannot be courteous and respectful, do not post in this forum.
Page:   Unlock Forum posting with Annual Membership.
Date Posted: 7/20/2009 9:48 PM ET

I'm currently reading Survivor in Death by JD Robb.

Date Posted: 7/21/2009 12:30 AM ET

Tonight I read Dirty Sexy Knitting by Christie Ridgway, third in a trilogy. I was a little disappointed. It wasn't bad, just  not as good as I was expecting. I also thought the part of the story with Reed was kind of lame.

Yesterday I gave Dark Lover by J.R. Ward a shot. I've really had a hard time liking any vampire books. I've tried several including,IIRC, a book from this series. Anyways I found 4 books from the BDB series in great condition  while used book shopping this weekend so I thought  I'd try one  before posting. I thought Dark Lover was good and am planning to read the next one , Lover Eternal.

Date Posted: 7/21/2009 2:05 AM ET

I started Nauti Boy.  Hero and heroine are step-siblings which is causing major squickage with me.  That's not my only issue with the book, but I don't feel like getting into the others.  It's entertaining enough to finish at this point.  I just have to not think about them being semi-related.

I also started Julia Quinn's Dancing at Midnight since I wasn't going to bring Nauti Boy to work (didn't feeling like getting a hard time for the man titty on the cover. LOL).  Good start.

I brought Fern Michael's Captive Passions (maybe? or Captive Embraces... I can't recall and I'm not getting up right now to check) to work also and read about 10 pages before deciding that I wasn't in the mood for an over-the-top bodice ripper which I think this might be (just going by what I've heard before).  So I started the JQ book which suits my mood better tonight.  Believe it or not, every now and then I'm in the mood for those kinda books, but not right now.

Date Posted: 7/21/2009 2:11 AM ET

well bummer Jennifer..I took DIrty Sexy Knitting off auto and have my acct on hold..I wanted to finish that trilogy but if it's not good well I dunno..I didn't care that much for the 2nd book either. Oh well.

I'm still reading that long titled novel..it's a novel 'cause it says so on the cover 'a novel'! :-) so guess it's like women's fiction or something. It's pretty good but kinda slow reading..the woman is 'perfect'..so diplomatic with everything and it's kinda hard to keep all the people straight...but I'm still enjoying it so far though I probably would've been better off with something simpler for night shift...

Last Edited on: 7/21/09 2:12 AM ET - Total times edited: 1
Date Posted: 7/21/2009 6:53 AM ET

I am reading Sweet Persuasion by Maya Banks, and loving it.

Date Posted: 7/21/2009 7:41 AM ET

I finished The Beach Street Knitting Society and Yarn Club by Gil McNeil. It was ok..IMO there wasn't enough focus on the knitting society or any yarn club. the book is told in first person and sort of skipped around..it kept my attention and interest for the most part but I didn't really feel like anything had been accomplished by the end of the book..and no romance though it said there was a romance - um, closed door one night stand then a kiss with another guy at the end doesnt' count as 'romance' to me! I didnt like her kids either and they're in prime form in this story! overall a decent read but glad it's a library book.

Date Posted: 7/21/2009 9:54 AM ET
Wow, busy weekend, so I didn't get much reading done. I'm still rereading "Show No Mercy" by Cindy Gerard, but only have a few chapters left before I move on to the next book, "Take No Prisoners." I did finish a Noelle Mack book, "Red Velvet." It was pretty empty. This was the second Mack book I read and I haven't been that impressed. She needs some work on her dialogue. Everything that comes out of her characters' mouths seems forced. I still have another of hers to get through, "Juicy," which I may start tonight, just to get it off my TBR. We shall see.
Date Posted: 7/21/2009 9:54 AM ET

Finished A Stranger's Wife by Maggie Osborne.  Enjoyed it, but not my favorite of hers.

Date Posted: 7/21/2009 10:14 AM ET

Finished The Duke and I by Quinn, I've only read 5 or so books by her so far but I'm still enjoying her writing style. I think what I enjoy the most is the lack of excessive drama, sometimes I just needs a break from all the angst. Speaking of drama, also finished The Demon You Know by Warren, her storyline is getting a bit repetitive, esp. the love's magic saves the day bit.

Date Posted: 7/21/2009 5:49 PM ET

I finished Untamed by Emma Wildes, the 2nd story wasn't that bad at all. I liked the hero a lot. Now I'm reading The Broken H by J.L. Langley. A m/m cowboy book. It's not the best, but its quick and entertaining.

Date Posted: 7/21/2009 5:55 PM ET

I'm reading another Love Inspired except this one isn't a winner like the last 2 were! It's still good enough to continue reading though..but there's already been 'preaching' in it LOL and I think it's funny in places but the heroine comes across as young and silly and impulsive while the hero's 'seriousness' makes him seem to be much 'older and wiser' than her. But as I said parts are funny and it's interesting learning about coffee and small businesses..The Perfect Blend by Allie Pleiter. He's a loan officer at the bank and has just refused her loan for starting up a Christian coffee house - Sacred Grounds? something like that with grounds in the name. She has the option of completing  his small business course then re-applying for the loan again. I'm only about 75 pages or so into it so she's still taking the course but not seeming to take it too seriously. I'm getting the feeling with her that she wants her big dream yet doesn't have much sense to get from point A to B! maybe she'll surprise me though.

Date Posted: 7/21/2009 7:20 PM ET

Sacred Grounds....that made me LOL

*sigh* I'm not reading anything because I'm trying to get us all ready for a road trip - if I pick up a book I'll get behind for sure!

Last Edited on: 7/21/09 7:21 PM ET - Total times edited: 1
Date Posted: 7/21/2009 8:06 PM ET

Only 30-odd pages left to read in Sharon Kendrick's His Baby!, a December 1997 Christmas HQ Presents.

Next up is Joanne Fluke's Sugar Cookie Murder, to break up the same-old of the holiday romances I'm reading this month. Promised myself I'd read Fluke's series in order, but just about all the holiday mysteries I have are part of a series so it won't matter which mystery I pick it'll out of order.

Gail

Date Posted: 7/21/2009 8:12 PM ET

I finished Don't Tempt Me by Loretta Chase.  I didn't love it.  It was an ok read for me - there was just something missing in this story for me.  I started reading Bound by Your Touch by Meredith Duran and I'm not loving it yet.

Date Posted: 7/21/2009 9:36 PM ET

ha ha..sorry..the coffee shop she wants to open is called Higher Grounds! :-) Iknew it had'grounds' in the title..kinda catchy though haven't gotten far enough in the story to know what exactly t hey're gonna do while they drink coffee...

Date Posted: 7/22/2009 5:05 AM ET

gosh where is everyone?! :-)

I just finished The Perfect Blend by Allie Pleiter. It was pretty good but the heroine was pretty stupid IMO. I did like some things better about her towards the end but overall I think she needed to get real. But I couldn't identify with her at all since I'm more practical like the hero and have never had a big dream that I knew was my life purpose. Hers is to open a christian coffee house(yep visit and witness while people are trying to relax over their coffee) but she had other stuff planned like storytime for kids,etc. The real kicker with her is that she has this dream and is going on faith only with no interest in taking a business plan seriously. This book is great if you love coffee - and even tea since the guy's a tea drinker only-or have an interest in a small business..lots of discussions 'bout these things(and I loved the tea part!) She's impulslive and single-minded and he's sorta by-the-book trusting facts and figures. HEA of course. I think I just have trouble identifying with someone willing to take on a huge loan and not understanding why her family won't co-sign for crying out loud and just in general not being practical about something like a business!

oookkay I guess I"m getting too serious about a freakin' romance but hey if there's no nookie there's not much else to critique! actually this woman reminded me a bit of the heroine who's being chased by terrorists and has a SEAL lover yet thinks she can handle it and wont' listen to sensible advice like 'hide'! :-)

Date Posted: 7/22/2009 8:29 AM ET

Susanna, I get critical like that of my stories too - even if there is nookie. :)  You should have heard the discussion my sister and I had over One 5th Ave by Candance Bushnell.  Man I didn't like those characters.

lol, I think I like your store name better - sacred grounds.  lol.  I think that is how most people feel about their coffee.  I am not a coffee drinker so I can only go by what I hear.  ;)

Date Posted: 7/22/2009 8:43 AM ET

wow another non-coffee drinker! I like tea ok but not coffee. the title of the book fit though - he was a tea drinker only and she was coffee fanatic.

Date Posted: 7/22/2009 9:13 AM ET

I also like tea but not a fanatic about it.  I drink it occasionally.  I am afraid to say I am a Coke drinker and have my large McDonalds coke each morning on my way in to work. 

Date Posted: 7/22/2009 9:31 AM ET
I've FINALLY moved on from rereading "Show No Mercy" and am about 100 into Gerard's "Take No Prisoners," which I'm liking so far. I'm kind of anxious to get through these next two books. I think I need a break from romantic suspense for a while. I'm in the mood for a good paranormal, I believe. :-)
Date Posted: 7/22/2009 9:47 AM ET

Count me in as another non coffee drinker - can't stand the stuff.  I'll take my Diet Coke anyday.     Finished my keeper shelf read and now I'm starting on A Military Match by Patricia Davids. 

Date Posted: 7/22/2009 2:02 PM ET

have you read the others in that series Sherri? I liked the Hometown Heroes('cept ofr the last book LOL!) and think I'll go by ubs today and see if she has any more by Brenda Minton(the one I read the other day and really like) I think there's 2 or maybe even 3 before the one I read so I KNEW there was a story I'd missed! THere's also a series in their romantic suspense line I'm kinda wanting to read..actually the one I just finished had some cute stuff so she's a good writer..just couldn't  understand that stupid heroine :-) can't understand anyone willing to take ona ton of debt to open a business and not have the slightest concept of a business plan..hoo boy...

I'm sorta reading/skimming a non-ficiton book about awakening the inner reader in a kid..some teacher decided to teach reading by letting the students pick their own books to read. sure wish we could've done that in school!

Date Posted: 7/22/2009 8:42 PM ET

I'm reading/skimming a non-fiction book I saw on the 'new arrivals' shelf at the library - The Book Whisperer. How to awaken the reader in children. she's a reading teacher who came up with the brilliant idea to let kids pick from a bunch of books and read..duh..what a novel idea for a reading class! actually I wish I'd been able to do that in school instead of reading all the assigned crapola they forced on us. she goes on and on so I'm sorta skimming but s he was describing herlove of reading and I could identify with a few statements she made about how she buys a purse based on if she can fit a paperback in it(been there done that) and that books are the first things in the suitcase when packing(done that too!)

not sure what I'll start next..went by ubs and found some more Love Inspired..I have to say I've been on a roll with those lately(3 in a row and the last was good even if I couldn't understand that woman LOL!)I found more by Brenda Minton (the one with the cowboy book) and a few others that sounded good so I'll see. they're pretty easy to read at work and before bed and some have been really good and 'thought provoking'  I guess! I also have Gotcha by Christie Craig and humor sounds good right now as well!

Date Posted: 7/22/2009 10:51 PM ET

Read Joanne Fluke's Sugar Cookie Murder today - it was weird how much of a quick-read this one was. Probably because it was so simplistic. I've read the first two books in her series so far but jumped to this one (#6) because it fell into my Christmas-theme for July but it didn't ruin any previous stories with spoilers - I'm kind of disappointed in the books in general. Not quite lighting my fire.

Not sure what I'm going to read next - didn't expect to read this one in one day so didn't set aside a "next read" so to speak.

Gail

Date Posted: 7/22/2009 11:19 PM ET

I'm half way through What Happens in London by Julia Quinn and although I like it, I'm a little bothered by how comtemporary the bickering is between the H and h.  It seems like some of the dialogue is too close to today.

Is anyone else here having problems mailing books with the post office hours?  I've had to be late on mailing several times because I can't make it to the post office by the time they close due to traffic.  It's really frustrating.  Our post office is open from 9-5:30 and I work 8-5, so getting there by 5:30 can be troublesome.  There are two post offices in my area that stay open later, but they are both 10-15 miles away and I just dont' have time to run over there after work with two kids.    Just a small post office rant :-)  I'm only complaining because these hours are new due to cutbacks.  They used to be open from 8-7. 

Sometimes I have to time the acceptance of book requests to give me an extra day so I can mail them in the allotted amount of time, usually Saturday.  I wish PBS gave us more leeway, but I do understand why they have time restrictions. 

Page: