Discussion Forums - Young Adult

Topic: What YA book are you reading? April 2010

Club rule - Please, if you cannot be courteous and respectful, do not post in this forum.
Page:   Unlock Forum posting with Annual Membership.
Date Posted: 4/26/2010 4:36 PM ET

Specials by Scott Westerfeld

It's frustrating. I just want things to go back to the way they were in the first two books!

Date Posted: 4/26/2010 5:33 PM ET

I am completely LOVING Will Grayson, Will Grayson so far!!!!

Date Posted: 4/26/2010 5:53 PM ET

I'm almost finished with Hunger.  I love this series by Michael Grant!  I need to get my hands on Lies soon.  I have no clue what to read next though.

Date Posted: 4/26/2010 6:06 PM ET

I am completely LOVING Will Grayson, Will Grayson so far!!!!

Yay!  I loved it, too.

I finished Before I Fall over the weekend and was a little disappointed. 

I'm starting Memoirs of a Teenage Amnesiac today.

Date Posted: 4/26/2010 6:56 PM ET

I really love that series too Kelly. I decided to put Hold Still down. The writing style was driving me nuts. 

I am starting Wings now. 

Date Posted: 4/26/2010 9:34 PM ET

I just returned Will Grayson, Will Grayson to the library unread.  I really need to read books I own and the library books are stressing me. :(

But I went to the library to see Melissa Marr tonight and I may have purchased Radiant Shadows while I was there.  She's a great speaker, by the way - I had a great time.

Date Posted: 4/26/2010 10:31 PM ET

Britney, this is exactly how I feel: I really need to read books I own and the library books are stressing me.  I realized today that our main library has almost 200 of the books on my Reminder list.  I'm lucky our county has such a great library but it stresses me out too, knowing there's all these books I want to read just sitting there waiting on me.....

"I may have purchased" is an odd statement...did you leave there with a copy or not?  Was she nice/cool/fairy-ish?  Authors are to me what rock stars and movie stars are to other people....

There's a scene in The Astonishing Adventures of Fanboy and Goth Girl by Barry Lyga where "Fanboy" meets his comic book idol and is completely dumbstruck...that would be me!

Date Posted: 4/26/2010 11:00 PM ET

You may have purchased it? LOL You either did or you didn't! I got that in the mail from the publisher, but I am completely not interested. 

Date Posted: 4/26/2010 11:28 PM ET

Yup, pretty much all of the Melissa Marr books after the first haven't been that great.

Date Posted: 4/27/2010 6:05 AM ET

Melissa Marr is really cool.  Someone asked her to show her tattoos and she did. :)  And she read from the spoilery prologue to the fifth Wicked Lovely book that her editor is making her rewrite, which was fun.  And yes, before the event I purchased the new book since I haven't read it and decided I'd get it signed.

Yeah, Kim, I can get pretty much everything I want from the library, which is great because it's a hell of a lot cheaper than buying things (I'm a big supporter of the library).  But yesterday I was reading this blog The Happiness Project and the author said something like, "I used to only have three unread books at a time" and I just thought three would be perfect (because I'd know that I needed to go to the library to supplement the books I had to read) but I have lots and lots of unread books, and I'm trying to read 113 of them this year.  I'm currently at 32, which isn't quite where I should be 4 months into the year...

Last Edited on: 4/27/10 6:09 AM ET - Total times edited: 1
Date Posted: 4/27/2010 9:39 AM ET

Swap books are starting to stress me out, so I'm finishing up most of the swaps I'm in and then not joining anymore.  I'm in 4 or 5 right now and that's fine with me.  My goal is to read the books I own and read whatever I want to.  I pick books I want to read for swaps and then the time comes that I have to actually read them, I decide I don't want to read the book and the it becomes a chore to finish.  I'm crazy, I know!  lol

I finished Why I Let My Hair Grow Out by MaryRose Wood last night and I loved it.  It was short and a very easy read.  I'm looking forward to reading the next two books in the series.  I love Ireland and faerys & such.

I am almost halfway through Getting Revenge on Lauren Wood.  It's good so far. 

Date Posted: 4/27/2010 9:53 AM ET

Aaaah Kristen that's too bad. I know what it's like when the books start to pile up. Sounds like you've got it figured out, though! Good Job!

Date Posted: 4/27/2010 9:53 AM ET

Kristen, I too am taking a swap game break until June at least.  I feel like I'm rushing through books simply bc they're wishlisted and I can get a credit or use the book in a swap game if I don't want to keep the book, thus missing the point of ENJOYING reading in the first place!

Maybe it's something in the air?  Or a phase of the moon?  Or a result of toppling TBR piles.....

I seriously have no clue what to read right now...and way too many choices.

Date Posted: 4/27/2010 10:18 AM ET

I have quit doing so many swaps as well, I was feeling the same way. I am only in the YA WL box because I dont have a time limit. I will join a swap every now and then, if I have a book I can use that I have already read. 

Date Posted: 4/27/2010 10:33 AM ET

I'm another on a swap break.  I'm only doing the nonfiction box, and that's enough for me. :)  (Plus the rules keep changing and that's getting annoying and it's discouraging me from joining the swaps in the first place!)

Date Posted: 4/27/2010 12:17 PM ET

I am really liking Wings. It's....weird, but I guess that was to be expected. 

Date Posted: 4/27/2010 12:31 PM ET

I only use books I have already finished or am currently reading in swaps....  I tend to not enjoy a book as much if I feel I HAVE to read it next, ya know???  Although, I have not really been participating in many swaps that don't GUARANTEE me books that I want in the last bit because I went several swaps in a row without getting something that was on my WL....  That's why I like the YA WL VB....  I can always pass if there's not something I really want or if I don't have anything finished that I can put in....

Date Posted: 4/27/2010 4:23 PM ET

Well, Will Grayson was TERRIFIC from start to finish!!!!!  LOVED IT!!! 

Now I am starting The Unwritten Rule.....

Date Posted: 4/27/2010 4:28 PM ET

I'm still officially undecided...and playing World of Warcraft to keep from having to make a decision, tee hee. 

Although I think I mailed out the largest number of books ever today--20 total, including 2 swap game books.  I've gotten heartless about my "keepers" as well as realizing that I am not meant to be a seamstress.  I am determined not to die by my toppling TBR pile!

ETA: Oh, and I managed to pare my wishlist down by 27 books today too!  Spring cleaning!

Last Edited on: 4/27/10 4:31 PM ET - Total times edited: 1
Date Posted: 4/27/2010 6:59 PM ET

I just finished Forget You by Jennifer Echols! Wonderful book!!!

Date Posted: 4/28/2010 7:00 AM ET

I am almost done with Getting Revenge on Lauren Wood.  It's storyline is similar to The Karama Club and I'm not sure if I really like books like this.  Lauren Wood is good, but not great. 

Next up is Hearts at Stake.

Date Posted: 4/28/2010 10:07 AM ET

I finished Fragile Eternity the other day...it was ok. I forgot about the short story the author added at the end so when the book ended I thought there was still more to it! Still planning on reading the next one I guess but like others have said the story isn't really getting too much better as the books progress.

Hey Colleen are you excited?! The cliff hanger we were so upset about is finally going to be resolved!....and probably followed up with another one. lol

I was in the bookstore yesterday on my lunch break picking up The Reckoning and one of the workers stopped by me and said the new P.C. Cast book was in and she was just going to put them on the shelf so I had to pick it up. Funny she mentioned it though because I've only been in there one other time (just started this job) so it's not like we know each other....probably just because of the genre I was already buying but I still got a chuckle out of it. =)

Date Posted: 4/28/2010 10:56 PM ET

I just started Faery Rebels: Spell Hunter by R.J. Anderson

Date Posted: 4/29/2010 11:40 AM ET

I finished Wings. I really liked it. I am surprised about that too. I went in expecting to hate it. I think it was much better than Marr's take on Fae. 

I am starting The Reckoning next. YAY!

Date Posted: 4/29/2010 8:13 PM ET

I just started Jekel Loves Hyde by Beth Fantaskey

Page: