Discussion Forums - Questions about PaperBackSwap Questions about PaperBackSwap

Topic: What is....

Club rule - Please, if you cannot be courteous and respectful, do not post in this forum.
  Unlock Forum posting with Annual Membership.
Subject: What is....
Date Posted: 9/14/2009 11:02 PM ET
Member Since: 1/8/2009
Posts: 54
Back To Top

a "remainder mark?" 

Date Posted: 9/14/2009 11:07 PM ET
Member Since: 5/14/2009
Posts: 6,852
Back To Top

It is generally in black and it looks like a strike / slash mark on the edge of the book.  Generally at the top or bottom edge though I had one on the side edge.

Date Posted: 9/14/2009 11:25 PM ET
Member Since: 8/10/2005
Posts: 4,601
Back To Top

It's put on the books, generally by discount booksellers or when the book is sold at a bargain price in a regular bookstore--it is a mark that alerts clerks in bookstores so that people can't return a book they bought at a bargain price for full price somewhere.


Subject: thanks for the info!
Date Posted: 9/14/2009 11:56 PM ET
Member Since: 1/8/2009
Posts: 54
Back To Top
Date Posted: 9/15/2009 1:51 AM ET
Member Since: 1/17/2009
Posts: 10,125
Back To Top

I've seen them in all different colors as well as things like marker dots on the edge of books.

Date Posted: 9/15/2009 3:23 AM ET
Member Since: 6/13/2009
Posts: 433
Back To Top

Sometimes it's an 'X' or similar through the ISBN / bar code box on the back of a book. 

Doesn't affect the text and as far as I know does not make the book unpostable