Skip to main content
PBS logo

Discussion Forums - Questions about PaperBackSwap Questions about PaperBackSwap

Topic: When it rains, it pours......

Club rule - Please, if you cannot be courteous and respectful, do not post in this forum.
  Unlock Forum posting with Annual Membership.
IlliniAlum83 avatar
Standard Member medalPBS Cruise Attendee medal
Subject: When it rains, it pours......
Date Posted: 4/27/2019 11:52 PM ET

Wow, just got offers for 5 WL books, ALL from the same person......I wonder if they posted one, then searched my WL to see what else they could send to save on postage?

daisymau avatar
Standard Member medal
Date Posted: 4/28/2019 9:44 AM ET

Yea for you. I'm sure that's what happened. In fact I just did the same thing with someone, but it was only 2 books.

bookbuggg avatar
Standard Member medalBook Cover Image Group medalBook Data Correction Group medal
Date Posted: 4/29/2019 8:32 AM ET

Hey, that's great, congratulations!

berd avatar
Standard Member medalPrintable Postage medal
Date Posted: 4/29/2019 4:19 PM ET

I've sent 3 books to the same person due to that reason.  I wish I had 5 to send to someone at the same time, but I never seem to have that kind of luck!

IlliniAlum83 avatar
Date Posted: 5/5/2019 1:13 PM ET

Received the batch of 4 WL books and 3 of them smell horribly of smoke which is my only RC, other has just slight smell, probably from being packaged with the other 3. The box did not smell so it's not from PO.  So now I'm in a fight with the sender who says there are no smokers in her house and they smelled 'ok' to her.

I am trying one of the solutions recommended here in the threads.......unscented dryer sheets placed between multiple pages that pulls out the smell.  This has worked for me before so hope it helps this time.

mistyks avatar
Limited Member medalFriend of PBS-Silver medal
Date Posted: 5/5/2019 2:05 PM ET

I hope it works!!!

rutabaker avatar
Standard Member medal
Date Posted: 5/6/2019 9:01 AM ET

Jeanne, be sure not to send on the dryer sheeted books to anyone with a smells RC of any kind. My RC is only about tobacco smells but I've received some real stinker perfumed books that had to air weeks in the breezeway before I could read them. Those dryer sheets might be marked fragrance free but they still have an odor.

Last Edited on: 5/6/19 8:54 AM ET - Total times edited: 1
lionrose avatar
Standard Member medalFriend of PBS-Silver medal
Date Posted: 5/6/2019 3:01 PM ET

My go-to is unscented clay cat litter. Seal a few tablespoons in a bag with the book and shake periodically to get it between the pages. It works, so does airing out the book. I have a sensitive sense of smell so I can vouch that both of these methods work but both take time.

sarap avatar
Member of the Month medalFriend of PBS-Silver medal
Date Posted: 5/6/2019 5:55 PM ET

I toss books that smell like dryer sheets. I don't think they should be mailed out at all, much less to anyone with an RC.

Best way to get rid of the smell is to put the books on a porch or near an open window and let the breeze air them out. I open them up as best as I can, you can put things between clumps of pages to get the air in there ... pencils, spoons, small pieces of cardboard, basically anything to open up the pages a little, then let the breeze fix it.

Anything that is applied to the book just leaves another layer of smell on the book and does not cover up the original smell. 

Honestly, I woudl not want a book that has been immersed in cat ltter either. Clay cat litter is pretty dusty, and once that gets in the pages I don't know how you would get it out, and the dust is even more likely to make me want to toss a book in the trash than a smell.

IlliniAlum83 avatar
Date Posted: 5/7/2019 8:25 AM ET

Humidity is too high here to leave books outside, they get 'warped' pages from absorbing the moisture in the air.  Tried that when we first moved here.