Skip to main content
PBS logo

Discussion Forums - Questions about PaperBackSwap Questions about PaperBackSwap

Topic: wish list offer, but must buy the book

Club rule - Please, if you cannot be courteous and respectful, do not post in this forum.
  Unlock Forum posting with Annual Membership.
Generic Profile avatar
Standard Member medal
Subject: wish list offer, but must buy the book
Date Posted: 6/27/2017 5:29 PM ET

I have been getting some emails telling me that one of my wish list books is being offered by another member".  When I sign into my account, the book is for sale, not offered by another member.  Anyone else notice this?  It's quite annoying and misleading.  

Cathy avatar
Cathy A. (Cathy) - ,
Date Posted: 6/27/2017 6:48 PM ET

There are 4 different types of wish list emails. Only one of them guarantees that the book is yours. The four types are:

- Wish List Offer

- Similar to Wish

- Wish List Item Added to PBS Market

- Item Similar to Wish List Item Added to PBS Market

I'm guessing that the emails you got fall into one or more of the last three categories. If you don't want those, then you can turn them off in Email Settings section of your My Account / Settings page.

Generic Profile avatar
Standard Member medal
Date Posted: 6/27/2017 9:26 PM ET

I believe some of the offers read "similar to your wish list".  In those cases, it usually is a hardcover instead of a paperback that I may have wished for.  I don;t feel that an offer to purchase a book is "similar to your wish list".  Thanks for the clarification, though.

melanied avatar
Standard Member medalMember of the Month medalBook Cover Image Group medalBook Data Correction Group medalTour Guide Leader medalBook Bazaar Coordinator medal
Date Posted: 6/28/2017 8:53 PM ET

The "similar to wish list" offers go out to everyone who has the alternate copy wish listed when the book gets posted. If you are being directed to buy the book, then likely someone else beat you to the posted copy and that is why there wasn't one available in the PBS system to request.

bookbuggg avatar
Standard Member medalBook Cover Image Group medalBook Data Correction Group medal
Date Posted: 6/29/2017 11:20 AM ET

"The "similar to wish list" offers go out to everyone who has the alternate copy wish listed when the book gets posted. If you are being directed to buy the book, then likely someone else beat you to the posted copy and that is why there wasn't one available in the PBS system to request."

This!! This happens to me all the time! We have some serious night owls at PBS :-)  I'm sleeping, they're picking up books! LOL