Skip to main content
PBS logo

Discussion Forums - Questions about PaperBackSwap Questions about PaperBackSwap

Topic: Wish List Wishers

Club rule - Please, if you cannot be courteous and respectful, do not post in this forum.
  Unlock Forum posting with Annual Membership.
Generic Profile avatar
Standard Member medalPrintable Postage medal
Subject: Wish List Wishers
Date Posted: 2/13/2019 3:27 AM ET

Is there a way to see who is wishing for a certain book? Is there a way to post a WL book to a certain person or is that not legal?

mistyks avatar
Limited Member medalFriend of PBS-Silver medal
Date Posted: 2/13/2019 8:46 AM ET

The only way to know what a member is wishing for is to look at that member's WL.  Some members have their WL set to private.  I think you can sort a member's WL to make it easier to see if they have a wish for the book you want to post. 

Yes, I believe you can post a WL book directly to a member. I'm not sure how this is done, but I think the member has to be on your friends list for this to happen. I have never done it, and I think the book has to match exactly to the book on their WL.

Generic Profile avatar
Pat O. (PatinCO) - ,
Standard Member medalFriend of PBS-Diamond medal
Date Posted: 2/13/2019 9:41 AM ET

You can post directly to another member. All you have to do is look at their WL and if they have that book on their WL, then you just post it to them. A message will come up saying something like "you're posting this book to Mary A".   If you know a "Friend" has a particular book on their WL and you have a copy of that book, then you can go to your "Friends" list, find the book on their WL and post it directly to them. 

broomhilda222 avatar
Standard Member medalFriend of PBS-Silver medalPrintable Postage medal
Date Posted: 2/13/2019 10:30 AM ET

when you go to post the book, a list with your friends name will pop up and you can either post it to them or send FIFO.

I personally make a list (from my friends list) of who wants what book and wait until i have at least 2 books they want and post it to them so i can save on postage. i also recommend they do that for me. I don't mind waiting for the books.

MSCOZY avatar
Friend of PBS-Diamond medal
Date Posted: 2/14/2019 4:28 AM ET

Jane, that is an excellent idea to wait until you get two WLed books for the same person before mailing thus saving on postage.

broomhilda222 avatar
Date Posted: 2/14/2019 7:59 AM ET

It really works well for me. I have 4-5 friends that I do that with and vice-versa.

The book bazarre post for multiple wish list order kinda confuses me. I thought thats what you had PBS friends for.  If you are reading the same books as your friends, why do you have lists of 20-30 wish list books  sitting on your shelf?  I understand the saving on postage, who doesn't want to save money. I always have enough credits to accept 2-3 books at a time so I just don't get why they don't post their books.  I read romance and there are few on there so it really doesnt effect me, just a curiousness bouncing around in my head.

IlliniAlum83 avatar
Standard Member medalPBS Cruise Attendee medal
Date Posted: 2/14/2019 11:13 AM ET

I rarely get requests for more than 1 book. Probably less than 3% of the requests I get are for 2 or more.

Generic Profile avatar
Pat O. (PatinCO) - ,
Standard Member medalFriend of PBS-Diamond medal
Date Posted: 2/14/2019 2:04 PM ET

I post to friends when I can, but I buy books from thrift stores, FOL, etc., so don't necessarily read all the books I have posted or have picked up, so a lot of th books I have aren't read by my Friends. I try to send WLed books out two at a time when I can. 

sarap avatar
Member of the Month medalFriend of PBS-Silver medal
Date Posted: 2/15/2019 1:59 PM ET

The book bazarre post for multiple wish list order kinda confuses me. I thought thats what you had PBS friends for. 

Example: So let's say I have a WL book that I want to send to someone, and it is on your Wish List.

I can post it to PBS, and it goes to the first person in line.

If I am your friend, I can post it to PBS, and PBS will show me that you are wishing for it, and I can post it to you directly, OR to PBS (first in line).

If I an not your friend but I still wanted you to have this book, then I could post it directly to you as long as I have some way of seeing your Wish List, in this case, you have a Wish List icon under your name in the forums so I could post it directly to you that way.

In all these cases, the person getting the book, whether it is you or the first person in line, does not know the book is coming to them before I post it, and also, I have no easy way to save money on postage by seeing if a particular person (friend or not) wants more than one book ... except by checking individual Wish Lists one by one, to see who wants 2 books that I have ready. That coudl easily take hours for a single package,

So ... let's say that I have a pile of books ready. I make a list and post it in the Multiple Wish List thread. Now, anybody on PBS can see that, (not just my friends) and they do all the work themselves by seeing what I have available and requesting what they want, saving me TONS of work trying to look through individual Wish Lists and figuring out who wants what myself.

If you are reading the same books as your friends, why do you have lists of 20-30 wish list books  sitting on your shelf?  I understand the saving on postage, who doesn't want to save money. I always have enough credits to accept 2-3 books at a time so I just don't get why they don't post their books.  I read romance and there are few on there so it really doesnt effect me, just a curiousness bouncing around in my head.

Generic Profile avatar
Date Posted: 2/16/2019 7:52 PM ET

Thank you to everyone who answered my questions. I've been a member here forever, but still don't know how to do all these "extra" things. 

Generic Profile avatar
Standard Member medalFriend of PBS-Gold medalPBS Blog Contributor medal
Date Posted: 2/22/2019 8:15 PM ET

Every time a book is requested from me I check that individual's WL because I like to send two books at a time whenever I can.  So many of the books on my shelf are not posted since I haven't read them yet.  I send them anyway and keep a list to check out from the library if in the future I want to read some of those I send to others.  And, of course, sometime I just haven't managed to post a book I've read.  

Last Edited on: 2/22/19 8:12 PM ET - Total times edited: 1
Generic Profile avatar
Subject: Thank you!
Date Posted: 2/25/2019 10:39 PM ET

Thank you to all who answered. Your answers were very helpful. I posted  3 of books in the wish list multiples.

broomhilda222 avatar
Subject: No Books for me :(
Date Posted: 3/1/2019 9:18 AM ET

it has been 30 days since I have gotten a wish list book. I got credits to burn people, send me some books. LOL

bookbuggg avatar
Standard Member medalBook Cover Image Group medalBook Data Correction Group medal
Date Posted: 3/1/2019 12:24 PM ET

I'm with you Jane..

I just don't get very many WL books..if it wasn't for games, I would be an a la carte member