Skip to main content
PBS logo

Discussion Forums - Questions about PaperBackSwap Questions about PaperBackSwap

Topic: How Does Everybody Feel About The Change To The Bir List?

Club rule - Please, if you cannot be courteous and respectful, do not post in this forum.
  Unlock Forum posting with Annual Membership.
freeverse071681 avatar
Standard Member medal
Subject: How Does Everybody Feel About The Change To The Bir List?
Date Posted: 8/20/2008 1:09 PM ET

I just came on to add some books to my bir list and i can't find half of them. i had a total of 555 books listed on it and now i only have 200. why did they change this feature? i loved being able to see at a glance which books i had already read. because i read so many of the same kind of books. series romance. i like to be able to see what titles i have already read by which authors so i don't read them again. because of the number of books i read and the fact that a lot of the titles sound similar i don't always remember which ones i've read and which ones i haven't. so what does every else think? should they change this feature back to the old way or keep the new one?

melanied avatar
Standard Member medalMember of the Month medalBook Cover Image Group medalBook Data Correction Group medalTour Guide Leader medalBook Bazaar Coordinator medal
Date Posted: 8/20/2008 1:17 PM ET

They didn't automatically delete books from anyone's list as far as I know, did you not rate them and just hit the delete them all button?

I don't see a difference in the list now, but I did not like the rating of old stuff process at all. I ended up deleting a lot because it was just taking too long and all of the ones I did rate were reposted to the day I rated them. So now a lot of the old books I read are gone and seeing my books read in 2008 is pretty much impossible so the history on it is pretty much junk, but I haven't seen anything that will affect my using the list going forward.

As for changing back to the old way - not going to happen. They make changes that they believe will help the site as a whole, annoying or frustrating a few members is not going to change that.

CozSnShine avatar
Standard Member medalMember of the Month medalFriend of PBS-Double Diamond medalPBS Cruise Attendee medalPBS Blog Contributor medal
Date Posted: 8/20/2008 2:07 PM ET

I didn't want to rate mine because I don't remember half of them!  However, to keep them on the list it was required.  So, I just went down the list and marked all of them with one star.   Not helpful for anyone, but it got the job done.

cheezygirl avatar
Date Posted: 8/20/2008 2:26 PM ET

It didn't matter to me. I rated them all, removed the very few i hadn't read, and it was done in no time. I haven't been here long enough to worry about having 800 books on my BIR list. I think i had about 100 on mine.

I don't mind the site changes. Sometimes change can be annoying, as it has been to many on here, but for me, i am not having a problem with any of it.

Sianeka avatar
Sianeka - ,
Member of the Month medalFriend of PBS-Double Diamond medalPBS Cruise Attendee medalPBS Blog Contributor medal
Date Posted: 8/20/2008 2:48 PM ET

I just wish they'd hurry and get the glitches fixed, and let you add a book to BIR from book details page.  It keeps asking me to rate the book first, which I've already done, BTW, AND included a review, but will not recognize that I've rated it so will not add it to my BIR list.  I've only been able to successfully add a book when I go to my BIR page and choose the Add a Book tab.

I didn't mind the rating systems, and going through helped me to clean off some books that had jumped onto my BIR list by accident that I didn't realize were there, so it helped me to do this.  And I'm very much looking forward to the new Similarity Index that they will be instituting once the books have mostly all been rated!

So, once the admins fix the ratings glitches, I'm a happy camper.

Generic Profile avatar
Member of the Month medalFriend of PBS-Silver medal
Date Posted: 8/20/2008 4:56 PM ET

I found having to rate 482 books annoying and I just hit the 5th start on all of them. Several people have admitted to do this and so those star ratings are no longer going ot be very accurate.  I never paid attention to them anyway. 

I have been able to just rate a book and have it go on BIR problem so apparently that's not a glitch for everyone. Also as far as I can tell it didn't delete any of my BIR books before I rated them and I only got around to it the other day.

melanied avatar
Standard Member medalMember of the Month medalBook Cover Image Group medalBook Data Correction Group medalTour Guide Leader medalBook Bazaar Coordinator medal
Date Posted: 8/20/2008 5:03 PM ET

...and let you add a book to BIR from book details page.  It keeps asking me to rate the book first, which I've already done, BTW, AND included a review, but will not recognize that I've rated it so will not add it to my BIR list.  I've only been able to successfully add a book when I go to my BIR page and choose the Add a Book tab.

Robin - I found that even though it kept saying I still had to rate it, it was being added to my BIR, you weren't getting that?

blubonnet1 avatar
Limited Member medal
Date Posted: 8/20/2008 6:34 PM ET

unfortunately I didn't think i wanted my BIR list.  or needed it for that matter.  so i deletely all of them without rating them.  after reading all the good and bad threads about it, i regret doing that because I can see NOW how useful it would have been. 

ohh well!!! my impatience got the best of me....again.

gljeanne avatar
Limited Member medal
Date Posted: 8/20/2008 7:38 PM ET

For me, it's no longer useful.  I don't mind rating them - the ones I couldn't recall I just rated 3 stars - but I used mine to track not only what I'd read but when.  Since they removed the date posted from them, there's no way to sort them in date order.  Since we're more than half-way through the year, that destroyed all my goals and challenges for the year.  I'll start over next year with another site.

melanied avatar
Date Posted: 8/20/2008 7:41 PM ET

Jeanne - the date read is there and it remains sortable by that field. I think the field not showing was an oversight or glitch because I was able to sort that way even when the field was not there.

gljeanne avatar
Limited Member medal
Date Posted: 8/20/2008 7:50 PM ET

Yeah, I just now saw that they put back the date and note fields, although many of the dates are wrong now.  They must have changed it back today, yesterday it was still missing.  I'm a happy camper!  I'll just delete the ones that they dated in 2008 that I know shouldn't be.  As long as it keeps the right date going forward, I don't care quite as much about the months being wrong (yes, I'm compulsive, I want to track these things so I can force myself to take more reading time each month!).

You could sort successfully by date when the dates wern't there??  Not me.

dmkay avatar
Standard Member medalFriend of PBS-Silver medalPrintable Postage medal
Subject: Negative on the change to the BIR list
Date Posted: 8/20/2008 9:07 PM ET

I just finished rating over 350 books so they would show up on my BIR list.  Some of them were - for some reason - on the list two or three times.  The whole system seems to be running very slowly - I hope that is a temporary thing.  I'm withholding judgement on whether this was a good move.  I've tried looking at my "FABIL" list and many of the books on that list are already on my BIR list!  They even show my rating and the notation that they are BIR.  

So, I guess I can't yet see the value of this new system and since it seems to be making everything move more slowly, so far it's a negative for me.

Also, all the books I rated yesterday showed up as being added yesterday, even if I read them 2 years ago.

patticom avatar
patticom - ,
Date Posted: 8/21/2008 1:25 AM ET

I've always deleted my "I've read" and "to be read" lists because I don't like to use them and it just mucks up the site, IMHO.  I was rather dismayed to learn I suddenly have a long list of books on there again... will it hurt anything if I just delete them all again??  The new description on the top makes it sound like I don't have a choice anymore and I *have* to have a BIR list... ???  :(

willaful avatar
Date Posted: 8/21/2008 3:29 AM ET

The new system messes some with my previous organization method, but it does have some obvious advantages, so I think I'll be able to live with it.