Skip to main content
PBS logo

Discussion Forums - Questions about PaperBackSwap Questions about PaperBackSwap

Topic: A Third Time?! Please Help!!!

Club rule - Please, if you cannot be courteous and respectful, do not post in this forum.
  Unlock Forum posting with Annual Membership.
Litwolf avatar
Standard Member medalFriend of PBS-Silver medal
Subject: A Third Time?! Please Help!!!
Date Posted: 10/11/2009 2:20 PM ET

So, I posted this thread yesterday (http://www.paperbackswap.com/forum/topic.php?t=182877) and, like everyone suggested, denied the book a second time, saying that they were requesting from the same person as before and should remove their conditions if they wanted it.

Well, its happened a third time: same conditions, no change at all, same member. This is starting to get annoying. What should I do? They obviously are not reading what I am writing to them because they won't stop requesting the book of which there is only one copy, my copy. Should I remove the book from my shelf for a time? Should I just accept the request since the book is in postable conditions, it just not perfect so I wanted to error on the side of caution.

Please help me! This is starting to get on my nerves! I get all excited when I see that one of my books has been requested and then get distressed when I see its the same member.

Generic Profile avatar
Limited Member medalPrintable Postage medal
Date Posted: 10/11/2009 2:51 PM ET

That's really bizarre!  Hopefully the third time's a charm, eh? :(  I DO remember this happening to me at least twice... (that is to say, the same person requesting the same book but it didn't meet their requestor conditions for whatever reason).  It IS annoying.  But having been on the other end of this, where actually my requestor conditions couldn't be met by the copy that was offered, I would eventually (after the second or third time things backfired?) get an e-mail from pbs saying something like, "Okay, this copy was the only one available, and it doesn't meet your requestor conditions.  We're going to put your request for this book on your reminder list, so the book can be offered to a different person..."

Then it says something about how if this happens to much with books (that one's requestor conditions seldom are met) a person might want to think of changing their requestor conditions! :)

But that's also annoying about the lack of communication.

I would say that things are going in their natural course of things (this shouldn't happen more than 3x) -- but if it happens a fourth time, I would contact pbs.

I would NOT take it off your shelf, because probably someone else would want it.

But the person who keeps rejecting your book and then gets offered it SHOULD, God willing, have their request put on the "reminder" list...

Good luck!  How annoying!  But it doesn't happen that often, so that's good...

Kate

Generic Profile avatar
Member of the Month medalFriend of PBS-Silver medal
Date Posted: 10/11/2009 3:51 PM ET

Maybe if you contact PBS about this they can send a message to the requestor that they need to remove their RCS if they want your copy or stop ordering the book for a bit.

Bucky1of1 avatar
Date Posted: 10/11/2009 3:55 PM ET

This happened to me once, and I took the book off my shelf for a while.  I actually received two or three requests from the same person.  I waited several weeks and reposted when I saw the wishers had gone up to 8 people.

starvinArtist avatar
Standard Member medalPrintable Postage medal
Date Posted: 10/11/2009 5:04 PM ET

What book is it?  Maybe some one here will want it.

EmilyKat avatar
Limited Member medalTour Guide medalFriend of PBS-Silver medal
Date Posted: 10/11/2009 5:19 PM ET

Just keep declining it.  They are getting a PM about the RC.  They are also getting an email from PBS telling them to wait for another copy to be posted.  It is frustrating to be stuck in a loop.  But until they change, you will be.

Cathy avatar
Cathy A. (Cathy) - ,
Date Posted: 10/11/2009 5:21 PM ET

Make sure you are clicking "My Book Does Not Meet Requestor's Conditions". Do not click "I Cannot Mail" and then repost your book.

If you are clicking the correct button, then you should use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the page and send a feedback message. You may be caught in a loop where two people have posted the book, but neither copy meets the requestor's conditions and he is getting bounced between you.

booklover33 avatar
Friend of PBS-Gold medal
Date Posted: 10/11/2009 6:52 PM ET

I had this problem too.  I got my third request yesterday with the same exact conditions that I turned down two other times.  This time instead of just giving the reason I turned it down, I also said I was getting tired of them requesting this book over and over.  They asked that the book not smell musty and I find it pretty subjective.  It does have a smell--it smells like a book to me. It's 24 years old and it doesn't smell musty to me but maybe it would to them.  The book is Teddy Bear Tales by Joan Walsh Anglund, BTW. 

royaltech avatar
Member of the Month medalBook Cover Image Approver medalBook Data Coordinator medalFriend of PBS-Gold medal
Date Posted: 10/11/2009 7:18 PM ET

Send in feedback to PBS, this is not the way it's supposed to work. I think if yours is the only copy and they have conditions, it is supposed to be removed from their WL and put on their RL until another copy is posted or yours is requested. Don't quote me on that, as I didn't look it up in the Help Center for sure, but that's what I think it says there somewhere. So, if you send in Feedback, the PBS Team will take care of it for you.

melanied avatar
Standard Member medalMember of the Month medalBook Cover Image Group medalBook Data Correction Group medalTour Guide Leader medalBook Bazaar Coordinator medal
Date Posted: 10/11/2009 9:00 PM ET

What Sherry says is what's supposed to happen, but the person can just ignore the note from PBS to wait until the available copy has been ordered and reorder immediately. It used to be that once an RC was declined, that person couldn't request that copy again, but they changed that.

I would continue to decline the request stating that you will not accept the request with those RCs and they need to remove them before requesting the book.

I think the site will probably recommend you remove the book from your shelf until she gets a copy, but the puts the burden on you to watch the system. IF you are OK with that, then go ahead and remove it. If not, continue to decline until she gets it, or another copy gets posted and her request gets passed on.

Litwolf avatar
Date Posted: 10/11/2009 9:58 PM ET

Thanks for the tips guys. I have declined it a third time, saying what I have said before, that this is the same book and they should wait for another copy or remove their conditions. I dont want to remove the book from my shelf if I can avoid it but, if it keeps up, I may do so for a time.

I hope I get out of this loop soon!

Generic Profile avatar
Subject: hey , didn't I see an "ignore this member button somewhere" is that just fo
Date Posted: 10/12/2009 8:39 AM ET

forums? Could you use that?

Litwolf avatar
Date Posted: 10/12/2009 10:04 AM ET

*Groans* I woke up this morning to see that the member requested it a fourth time, still no changed to the RC. I'm going to contact the site because this is getting out of hand.

prtybrd avatar
Date Posted: 10/12/2009 10:35 AM ET

Just because it gets put on the person's reminder list doesn't mean they can't go back in and keep requesting it.  Maybe they don't understand it keeps going to the same person?  I'd just take it off my shelf for a while.

Generic Profile avatar
Date Posted: 10/12/2009 10:42 AM ET

What book is it?

Maybe do what Kelly suggested and offer it in the forums.  Maybe then someone can add it to their WL and you can post it right to them.  You could post it in the BB, explain why you can't just post it to your shelf.  If the person with the RC in the mean time adds it back to their WL, the 2nd person can add it to their WL and you can post it right to them.  If there's still no copies in the system and the RC person has it on their RL then person 2 can still WL it and you post right to them.  Then you can get rid of the book without having to do this over and over again.

EmilyKat avatar
Limited Member medalTour Guide medalFriend of PBS-Silver medal
Date Posted: 10/13/2009 2:56 AM ET

Can't we put a book on our bookshelf on hold without removing it? 

Generic Profile avatar
Date Posted: 10/13/2009 7:02 AM ET

Yes you can put a book on your shelf on hold. But then it doesn't get requested.  And she wants to send the book out.  Also it doesn't move up in FIFO if it's on hold.

Litwolf avatar
Date Posted: 10/13/2009 12:35 PM ET

I sent a message to PBS two days ago. No answer yet.

The request for the book was cancelled on its own, by the sender. Perhaps he finally realized he kept ordering my copy?

The book is called 'Fantasy Life'.

Thanks for all your advice!

saber avatar
Date Posted: 10/13/2009 3:24 PM ET

the same thing is happening to me right now too, Erin.  Today was the fourth request.  If I get request #5 I guess I will contact the site administration

saber avatar
Date Posted: 10/13/2009 3:24 PM ET

the same thing is happening to me right now too, Erin.  Today was the fourth request.  If I get request #5 I guess I will contact the site administration