Skip to main content
PBS logo

Discussion Forums - Health & Fitness Forum Health & Fitness Forum

Topic: Weight Loss with Safflower Oil

Club rule - Please, if you cannot be courteous and respectful, do not post in this forum.
  Unlock Forum posting with Annual Membership.
BrokenWing avatar
Limited Member medal
Subject: Weight Loss with Safflower Oil
Date Posted: 1/6/2010 10:03 AM ET

I read in a women's magzine that there was an Ohio State University study where people took 2 tsp of safflower oil a day and lost weight even w/o dieting.  Does something to your body's hormones, supposedly.  I never thought it would work but thought it worth a try.  For nearly a year, I've been eating approx 1200-1300 calories a day with little weight loss, even though I exercise an hour a day and my RMR was measured at 1800 calories.

I can't believe that in about a week, my scale is down approx. 5 lbs.  This has NEVER happened happened before.  It's kinda miraculous almost.  I know there are pills you can buy, but I thought it would be cheaper to just  go to the grocery store & buy some oil for 5 bucks.  I just mix 2 (measured) teaspoons in with my morning oatmeal and flax seed.  Can't even taste the oil.   Just thought I'd share in case anybody else wants to try it.  I NEVER expected it to work and I've tried just about every weight loss supplement out there. 

Last Edited on: 1/26/10 11:42 AM ET - Total times edited: 1
BrokenWing avatar
Limited Member medal
Date Posted: 1/26/2010 11:41 AM ET

Since there have been no responses, I don't even know wether anyone has read this thread, but this works, honestly.

I'm now losing so much weight that I may have to acutally INCREASE my calories in order to avoid losing weight too fast :)

The article also says it's good for diabetes. 

http://www.ehow.com/facts_5828538_safflower-oil-weight-loss.html

Last Edited on: 1/26/10 11:41 AM ET - Total times edited: 1
upst8nygirl avatar
Date Posted: 1/26/2010 4:33 PM ET

Thank you Claudia!

How much have you lost since you started taking it? It sounds like something I may try. I'll let you know how it works. :)

BrokenWing avatar
Limited Member medal
Date Posted: 1/26/2010 8:41 PM ET

8.5 pounds in three weeks, total.  It's not that much weight, but I've read that it's not healthy to lose over a pound a week.  I don't want my skin to get saggy from too rapid weight loss.  That's based on following a 1200 calorie diet and 6.5 hours of exercise a week.  Perhaps I should increase the calories a bit, like one clinical dietician said? 

The study said participants lost weight without  changing their eating or exercis habits, but I don't believe that for a minute.  Since they didn't actually monitor the diet & exercise of participants, but simply asked them not to change it, I think participants may have known they were losing weight and were a little more cautious with their food intake in order to maintain or increase the results.

Last Edited on: 1/26/10 8:45 PM ET - Total times edited: 2
upst8nygirl avatar
Date Posted: 1/26/2010 9:54 PM ET

I stopped and picked up some up on my way home tonight. I've been keeping my calories under 1500 and exercising at least 5x a week. I figure it can't hurt so long as it doesn't make me gain, we all need the Omega 3s. I will keep you posted on how it works.Thanks for the tip! =)

Generic Profile avatar
Limited Member medal
Date Posted: 1/30/2010 11:14 AM ET

Sounds like you are doing great. Keep in mind that 8.5 lbs in three weeks probably means that the "weight" you are losing is mostly muscle and water, NOT body fat. Especially if you have a reduced calorie diet at 1200 and are exercising 6.5 hours per week. Be careful. Miracle cures are often dangerous.

Generic Profile avatar
Date Posted: 1/30/2010 3:11 PM ET

I haven't tried this deliberately but I do Weight Watchers and they have several healthy oils we're supposed to have 2 tsp of every day(I don't always make it) and Prevention magazine has a MUFA belly fat loss plan they've done in their magazine this past year and I just saw a cookbook at the grocery store with recipes..monounsaturated fats..think this is one of the oils..they also had nuts and avocado seems like.eta: I think they call it the 'flat belly diet'

Last Edited on: 1/31/10 10:15 AM ET - Total times edited: 1
BrokenWing avatar
Limited Member medal
Date Posted: 1/31/2010 7:14 PM ET

Scott,

What if, prior to starting Safflower oil,  I've been eating 1200 calories a day for a YEAR without losing an ounce?  Keep in mind that although I'm following a low calorie diet, I did not, repeat NOT change my diet or exercise after starting Safflower oil.  I really don't care so much if its fat, muscle or water I'm losing -- the point is, I'm losing weight and getting smaller.  I measured my waist today & I've lost 1.5 inches   :P:):):)

It sounds like its doing what the study said it does--reducing belly fat.   As a side benefit, it's also supposed to reduce total cholesterol & LDL cholesterol (the bad stuff).  I'm convinced, anyway.   

My friend who was on a hospital supervised weight loss diet several years ago (the kind where you only get shakes and meal bars) claims they made her eat 2 TABLESPOONS of Safflower oil daily.  I dunno.  It seems like an awful lot of oil.  Yech.  2 teaspoons I can handle. Perhaps she is mistaken and it  was really teaspoons?  Then again, I think I could force myself to drink down the whole bottle if I thought it would make me loseweight.  Unfortunately, my friend gained back all her weight and then some because she didn't learn how to change her eating habits.  She is now diabetic and facing gastric bypass surgery on the advice of her doctors. 

Last Edited on: 1/31/10 7:22 PM ET - Total times edited: 3
Cosmina avatar
Standard Member medalFriend of PBS-Silver medal
Date Posted: 2/1/2010 2:49 PM ET

Sounds like a harmless regime to try for weight loss. My partner has been doing the coconut oil and apple cider vinegar before meals and has lost 10lbs in four months without exercise.  I do think it helps one be more conscience of how we eat and what could be  wrong with that.

BrokenWing avatar
Limited Member medal
Date Posted: 2/3/2010 11:29 AM ET

So it turns out all the stuff we were being told about following a low-fat diet to lose weight was completley WRONG. 

Perhaps we should have been told to reduce or eliminate animal fats (from meat and dairy) and INCREASE polyunsaturated plant oils?