Skip to main content
PBS logo

Discussion Forums - Historical Fiction

Topic: 2018 Historical Fiction Challenge Discussion

Club rule - Please, if you cannot be courteous and respectful, do not post in this forum.
Page:   Unlock Forum posting with Annual Membership.
hannamatt52 avatar
Friend of PBS-Gold medal
Date Posted: 2/16/2018 10:12 AM ET

I've got two new entries for the challenge that I just finished up-

Year 3  #4 Where Wolf?:  The Werewolf of Bamberg by Oliver Potzsch.  This is yet another in the Hangman's Daughter series; lots of wolves and dogs of all kinds in this one!  I've been picking away at this one on my kindle for a long time at all my clinic appointments.

Year 4 #5 Riddles Everywhere:  Elegy for Eddy by Jacqueline Winspear.  This is another interesting entry in the Maisie Dobbs saga.  Maisie revisits her past to deliver justice to an old acquaintance.

mary2029 avatar
Limited Member medal
Date Posted: 2/16/2018 11:05 AM ET

Finished my fifth and sixth books for the Hufflepuff level of the challenge - The Red Moth by Sam Eastland (historical mystery set in WWII Russia under Stalin)  and The Girl With the Pearl Earring by Tracy Chevalier (17th century Netherlands with artist Jan Vermeer). Both were very good. I will be forging ahead to the next level!

hannamatt52 avatar
Friend of PBS-Gold medal
Date Posted: 2/27/2018 10:52 AM ET

Year Seven #3- Sad To See You Go

For this entry I chose The Autumn Throne by Elizabeth Chadwick.  This was the third and final book in the author's trilogy about Eleanor of Aquitaine and I thought it was the best of the three.  Eleanor or Alienor as she is called in the book, would have been a remarkable woman in any era.  To have lived as long as she did, born as many children as she has and survived and wielded political and personal power in a time where men and the Church controlled all aspects of daily life is nothing short of amazing.  She is certainly my favorite female ruler of all time.  I recommend this book highly but be sure to read the two previous volumes first.  Four and a half out of 5 stars!

MartieKr avatar
Standard Member medalFriend of PBS-Silver medalPrintable Postage medal
Date Posted: 2/28/2018 12:35 PM ET

Just finished The Gate Keeper by Charles Todd. I love this series. Ian feels unsettled after his sister's wedding and sets off for a drive. He comes upon a woman in the dead of night standing along side of the road with blood on her and a dead man on the ground. She claims someone stood in the road and shot him. As Ian investigates, he finds the young man well-liked, except by vicious his mother, and is baffled as to why someone wanted to kill him. Two more murders occur until he finds the thread that links them together. Very well written, atmospheric, and intriguing. A little less of Hamish in this one.

sulock avatar
Standard Member medalPrintable Postage medal
Date Posted: 6/14/2018 9:21 AM ET

I have been reading but Most weren't very memorable but here are some I enjoyed (didn't love)  Wicked Temptation and Sweet Revenge by Zoe Archer a Nemesis Unlimited series.  Didn't make much sense and wouldn't continue.  A few Sherlock Holmes -Cry of the Innocents by Scott, The Army of Doctor Moreau by Adams, The Holmes Affair by Moore and Warlock Holmes -My Grave Ritual by Denning.  A few unexciting historic romances , westerns and Victorian.  I am reading the newest Laurie R King book Island of the Mad and it is outstanding so far.  I also read Why Kill the Innocent by C S Harris both  authors are among my favorites. 

ASJ avatar
Alice J. (ASJ) - ,
Standard Member medalMember of the Month medalFriend of PBS-Double Diamond medalPrintable Postage medal
Date Posted: 11/27/2018 7:23 AM ET

Does anyone know if Carolyn is still at PBS? I was wondering if she is going to do a 2019 Historical Fiction Challenge or if someone else wants to pick it up?

Page: