Skip to main content
PBS logo

Discussion Forums - Mystery & Thrillers

Topic: 2019 Cozy Mystery Challenge Discussion Topic

Club rule - Please, if you cannot be courteous and respectful, do not post in this forum.
Page:   Unlock Forum posting with Annual Membership.
ASJ avatar
Alice J. (ASJ) - ,
Standard Member medalMember of the Month medalFriend of PBS-Double Diamond medalPrintable Postage medal
Date Posted: 8/25/2019 7:13 AM ET

I am reading Death Comes to Bath by Catherine Lloyd. I really like this series. Book 6 in the series. Set in 1822. This is in the Town of Bath.

Bama-Booklover avatar
Standard Member medalFriend of PBS-Silver medalPrintable Postage medal
Date Posted: 8/28/2019 2:25 PM ET

I'm reading my fifth traveling the world category book.  I just need a couple more drinks and my challenge will be completed.  I did find one on my TBR (broth).  I have plenty of tea, coffee, lattes in titles on my wishlist.  Maybe one of those wishes will be granted before the end of the year.

ASJ avatar
Alice J. (ASJ) - ,
Standard Member medalMember of the Month medalFriend of PBS-Double Diamond medalPrintable Postage medal
Date Posted: 8/29/2019 6:40 AM ET

I finished Murder at Dolphin by by Kathi Daley. It was just okay. Lacked detail seemed rushed.

I am now reading Murder at the Ice Ball by Leighann Dobbs. Set in 1816 England very good.

jannymarie avatar
Standard Member medal
Date Posted: 8/29/2019 8:41 AM ET

I just realized after reading Lynn’s post my only category left is the drink one also.  I never thought to use broth pretty sure I have something around here about soup I’ll have to search for it. 

Reminders for myself of possibilites  Death by Darjeeling (Tea Shop, Bk 1)Tea, Tiramisu, and Tough Guys (Cape Bay Cafe, Bk 2)Tempest in the Tea Leaves (Fortune Teller, Bk 1)No Use Dying Over Spilled Milk (Pennsylvania Dutch Mystery with Recipes, Bk 3),

MartieKr avatar
Date Posted: 8/29/2019 8:45 AM ET

I like the Lady Katherine series, Alice. Read them all through Kindle Unlimited.

I started a new series, Fear in February (Calendar Mysteries #2....#1 wasn't available at library) by Camilla Chafer. It's your typical cozy with the MC returning to her hometown to open her own restaurant after a scandal happens to her in New York. Low and behold the food critic dies in her restaurant and she feels compelled to insert herself into the investigation. Has a hint of romance. I thought it needed some work but was okay.

Bama-Booklover avatar
Date Posted: 9/1/2019 12:47 PM ET

Now reading two books I have of Maya Corrigan's Five Ingredient Recipe mystery series:

Scam Chowder and Final Fondue

The next three books of the series are on my wish list.

Last Edited on: 9/1/19 12:48 PM ET - Total times edited: 1
MartieKr avatar
Date Posted: 9/11/2019 1:30 PM ET

Just finished a new-to-me-author:  Who Shot the Serif? by Jessa Archer.  Jamie Lang has a hand-lettering business and finds herself a suspect in a murder when her competitor and nemesis is found dead after they argued. Lots of red herrings and nice tidbits about hand-lettering quotes, etc.  The story was evenly paced, the MC was very detail oriented and quickly picked up when people were lying, and the cast of characters was entertaining. We do get the obligatory beginning of a romance with the police chief.

Last Edited on: 9/11/19 1:30 PM ET - Total times edited: 1
ASJ avatar
Alice J. (ASJ) - ,
Date Posted: 9/21/2019 5:57 PM ET

I finished another fun parnormal cozy Fury Godmother by Annabel Chase book 2 in the series. Light and fun.

Bama-Booklover avatar
Date Posted: 9/23/2019 10:50 AM ET

Complete Connie Archers Soup Lover's Mystery series this weekend.   Last book was A Clue in the Stew

I have the second book of the series tied up in a game.  The third book is unpostable but going to offer as a freebie with the second book.  I also have the 4th and the 5th book of the series.  

Bama-Booklover avatar
Date Posted: 9/23/2019 4:45 PM ET

I read these two books today to catch me up on Rose Pressey's Haunted Vintage series.  Found they were set in Georgia where I live to fulfill my category of my choice.

1. Haunt Couture and Ghosts Galore (Haunted Vintage Bk 3) Rose Pressly
  2. Haunted is Always in Fashion (Haunted Vintage, Bk 4) Rose Presslly

I'm working on reading my "Halloween" cozies before the end of October.  November I'll begin reading my Christmas themed books.  That'll take me away from my cozies for awhile except for a couple holiday themed cozies I have.

I still need "one more drink" before my 2019 challenge is completed.

Bama-Booklover avatar
Date Posted: 9/27/2019 2:08 PM ET

Continuing on those "Halloweenish" cozies the last two days I've read these two.

1. Spells and Scones (Magical Bakery, Bk 6) Bailey Cates
  2. Potions and Pastries (Magical Bakery, Bk 7) Bailey Cates

I found they are also set in Georgia so a couple more for the state I live in.   I thought about using Potions and Pastires for a beverage in the title.  You drink potions don't you?  or would that be pushing it?  LOL.

I'm going to have some books pre read for Nicole's Oct/Nov TBR swap that the theme is mysteries/Halloween/Thanksgiving.......

Bama-Booklover avatar
Date Posted: 9/28/2019 1:37 PM ET

Two more Halloweenish books read:

1. Inspector Specter (Haunted Guesthouse, Bk 6) E. J. Copperman
  2. Ghost in the Wind (Haunted Guesthouse, Bk 7) E. J. Copperman

I put these in the water, water everywhere category as they take place on the Jersey shore.

Bama-Booklover avatar
Date Posted: 10/1/2019 3:20 PM ET

Caught up on another series (Ghost of Granny Apples).  I love Ish, the Granny ghost in the books.  Can't wait to get the newest in the series.

I read these over the last few days.

Ghost in the Guacamole (Ghost of Granny Apples, Bk 5) Sue Ann Jaffarian

Ghosts of Misty Hollow (Ghost of Granny Apples, Bk 6) Sue Ann Jaffarian

I believe but not sure this is all my cozies with ghosts or other Halloweenish themes.

Now I'm begining a new series.  First in the series is Button Holed (Button Box, Bk 1) Kylie Logan  I'm going to use the first three in the game for October This Book Has Been on My TBR Too Long

ASJ avatar
Alice J. (ASJ) - ,
Date Posted: 10/2/2019 6:39 AM ET

I am starting A Batter of Life and Death by Ellie Alexander. She is author of the month for one of the Goodread's cozy mystery groups. I read book 1 quite a while ago. I remember thinking it was okay. Anyone else read this series? I know there are lots of books in the series is it worth continuing? 

MartieKr avatar
Date Posted: 10/2/2019 7:38 AM ET

I read them all, Alice, and just found them average.

Bama-Booklover avatar
Date Posted: 10/2/2019 2:33 PM ET

Alice, I read that series.  I enjoy them.  I think I have one on my tbr one of the newer ones

ASJ avatar
Alice J. (ASJ) - ,
Date Posted: 10/6/2019 7:26 AM ET

I am reading Fatality in F by Alexia Gordon. Very good series set in Ireland. Strong woman lead, little paranormal with a ghost and lots of music talk. Highly recommend this series.

Bama-Booklover avatar
Date Posted: 10/8/2019 3:13 PM ET

I'm starting the fourth book of Kylie Logan's Button Box series:  Buttoned Up.  I have the first three tied up in October You've Been on My TBR Too Long game.   If not taken, all four books will be available on my bookshelf.  Another older series that I'm just getting around to reading.  Each book has some button history trivia.

ASJ avatar
Alice J. (ASJ) - ,
Date Posted: 10/11/2019 6:55 AM ET

I am reading A Grave Issue by Lillian Bell. It is one of the Good Mystery Group's book of the month. It is just okay for me. I am only a few chapters in. Book takes place in a funderal parlor. Has anyone read it?

MartieKr avatar
Date Posted: 10/11/2019 7:24 AM ET

I read it and liked it Alice.  Matter of fact, I just got the second one on my Kindle from the library.

I'm currently reading or just finished

• Mistaken Identity (Braxton Campus Mystery #4):James J. Cudney, a nicely written cozy with a male main character.
  • Molded 4 Murder (Sophie Kimball #5): J.C. Eaton..I really like this series. The MC's mother and her friends are a hoot.
  • Offed Off Broadway (Costal Mysteries #3): Jessa Archer

Last Edited on: 10/22/19 7:40 AM ET - Total times edited: 2
jannymarie avatar
Standard Member medal
Date Posted: 10/21/2019 1:47 PM ET

I just finished and enjoyed Murder, She Knit (A Knit & Nibble Mystery) by Peggy Ehrhart.  If you’d like to read a fun quick clean cozy by the old cozy definition this one will fill that desire.  Seems to me many of the currently tagged as cozies have language and/or sex added to the story.

ASJ avatar
Alice J. (ASJ) - ,
Date Posted: 10/22/2019 7:02 AM ET

I just finished a very good cozy. Murder at the Palace by Margaret Dumas

Takes place in San Francisco in an old movie house that just shows old movies. Lots of dicussion of old Hollywood and its movies/stars. Good Mystery too.

Thought I would share.

MartieKr avatar
Date Posted: 10/23/2019 6:51 AM ET

Just finished Christmas Cow Bell by Mollie Cox Bryant and enjoyed learning about cheese. Liked the characters. I did find the book overly long, however.

Also read Muffin But Trouble by Victoria Hamilton. I always liked this series and was glad to see another in the series after such a long time. However, Iwas a disappointed in this one. The story involves a cult at the edge of town and the story is darker than your average cozy. I also found the pace a little slow. Overall, this one was not my cup of tea.

Bama-Booklover avatar
Date Posted: 10/24/2019 2:23 PM ET

I have a couple "beverage" books enroute to me.  I'll be drinking those to finish the challenge for this year.  It's almost my time to begin reading holiday books.  I do have a few cozys included in those but I won't be reading many more cozies for the rest of this year.

ASJ avatar
Alice J. (ASJ) - ,
Date Posted: 10/27/2019 7:18 AM ET

I am reading  Tightening the The Threads by Lea Wait. I enjoy this series. Easy to read. Love the setting in main. Plots are well written.

Page: