Skip to main content
PBS logo

Discussion Forums - Mystery & Thrillers

Topic: 2020 Cozy Mystery Challenge Discussion Topic

Club rule - Please, if you cannot be courteous and respectful, do not post in this forum.
Page:   Unlock Forum posting with Annual Membership.
Bama-Booklover avatar
Standard Member medalFriend of PBS-Silver medalPrintable Postage medal
Date Posted: 7/31/2020 4:47 PM ET

That ones on my wishlist.  Title sounded familiar but I haven't read it

ASJ avatar
Alice J. (ASJ) - ,
Standard Member medalMember of the Month medalFriend of PBS-Double Diamond medalPrintable Postage medal
Date Posted: 8/6/2020 7:32 AM ET

I am reading 

Murder She Knit by Peggy Ehrhart  I belong to the Goodread's group Cozy Mystery Corner and this is the book of the month.  Very typical cozy. it is set in New Jersey, lots of good knitting discussions and sleuthing.

jannymarie avatar
Standard Member medal
Date Posted: 8/6/2020 11:29 AM ET

Murder She Knit by Peggy Ehrhart. I really enjoyed this one its been a while back that I read it but I remember thinking this is the way cozy use to be written. 

Bama-Booklover avatar
Date Posted: 8/9/2020 12:51 PM ET

Completed another series (only three in the series).  Read A Crime of Poison (Silver Six, Bk 3) Nancy Haddock.    It was a fun cozy with the MC being involved with a group of six senior citizens who make crafts to sell in her shop.  It wasnt as entertaining as some other series about senior citizens but it was a good read.......

ASJ avatar
Alice J. (ASJ) - ,
Standard Member medalMember of the Month medalFriend of PBS-Double Diamond medalPrintable Postage medal
Date Posted: 8/27/2020 1:53 PM ET

I just finished Murder with Honey Ham Biscuits by A.L. Herbert. Love this series. Characters are fun and make you laught. You never know what will happen next. Great mysteries and food discussions. Start with book 1 in the series. 

Bama-Booklover avatar
Date Posted: 8/27/2020 2:39 PM ET

I've read the first of that series.  I added the others to my wl.  They all sound so yummy...

Bama-Booklover avatar
Date Posted: 8/31/2020 11:17 AM ET

I started a new to me series.  First book read was A Crafty Killing (Victoria Square, Bk 1) Lorraine Bartlett.  I have all 7 in the series so glad I enjoyed this first one.  I'm reading the second one now.

Looks like the only categories I can use them for are Colorful Letters or Next in Line unless something else comes up as I read them........Oh, this one I can use for fall.  Guess I can double up on my seasons......Lol.   

I havent figured out what state they take place in.......if anyone has read them and knows please share.......Updated.....location is New York

Last Edited on: 8/31/20 6:25 PM ET - Total times edited: 1
ASJ avatar
Alice J. (ASJ) - ,
Date Posted: 9/1/2020 6:36 AM ET

Lynn, I recently read that one too. It was quite good. I am not sure what state it takes place in

Bama-Booklover avatar
Date Posted: 9/1/2020 9:28 AM ET

I found out the series takes place in New York;  I already have a New York book but maybe I can move it into a different category.

Bama-Booklover avatar
Date Posted: 9/14/2020 11:32 AM ET

I'm still reading the Victoria Square series by Lorraine Bartlett with a coauthor.

I started the 5th one today and have two more after it.   I'm trying to read them all as I am adding them to the Oct/Nov Mystery TBR list for Nicole's swap.....I'm reading a Christmas one now Yule Be Dead......I know I usually save all my Christmas books until November/December but reading it to keep the series going.  I havent tired of them yet and actually interesting enough I want to read the next to see where the romance is going, etc...

I've also started another series that I have the first four of (and maybe the fifth one if I can keep it in a swap)......the first one is

Murder with Lemon Tea Cakes (Daisy's Tea Garden, Bk 1)  Karen Rose Smith.  These tea books will help fulfill my beverage category......

FYI:  The Lemon Tea Cakes book, first of the series, is an ARC>   I'm going to offer it as a freebie to anyone who requests at least one more of the series from me, thru FIFO or the Oct/Nov Mystery TBR swap

Last Edited on: 9/19/20 3:53 PM ET - Total times edited: 2
ASJ avatar
Alice J. (ASJ) - ,
Date Posted: 9/19/2020 7:54 AM ET

I am enjoying the latest in the latest in Alyssa Maxwell's Gilded Newport Mystery series  Murder at Kingscote.

ASJ avatar
Alice J. (ASJ) - ,
Date Posted: 9/26/2020 8:52 AM ET

I finished Lowcountry Boondoggle by Susan M. Boyer. Very good. Love this series. This one is one of favorites in the series.

Bama-Booklover avatar
Date Posted: 9/27/2020 1:44 PM ET

Reading Daisy's Tea Garden Mystery series by Karen Rose Smith and read a book out of sequence.  I have the first four and waiting for the fifth one from a swap.  Read book one, read what I thought was book two, until I went to get book 3.  No, I'd just read book three.   So I'm skipping book two.....I dont want to go backwards with the extra storylines in the series........

All of these will be on my Oct/Nov Mystery TBR for Nicole G's swap......except the first book, Murder with Lemon tea Cakes.  My copy is an ARC but I'll hold it and offer as a freebie to anyone who requests one or more of the other books of the series, whether from her swap or later when posted FIFO.

ASJ avatar
Alice J. (ASJ) - ,
Date Posted: 9/29/2020 4:23 PM ET

I am in the mood for a light historical cozy. I am reading Murder Flies the Coop (A Beryl and Edwina Mystery) by  Jessica Ellicott

I greatly enjoy this series. Nice historical facts, amusing well written characters, charming location and a good mystery. What more could I want. I need to get the next one in line after I read this one.

ASJ avatar
Alice J. (ASJ) - ,
Date Posted: 10/7/2020 7:01 AM ET

I am enjoying a new series by Amanda Flower    Dead-End Detective

I like most of her books and this one is well written, interesting characters. Set in Seneca, NY.

ASJ avatar
Alice J. (ASJ) - ,
Date Posted: 10/21/2020 7:18 AM ET

I am reading Assault and Pepper by Leslie Budewitz.   Leslie Budewitz is the author of the month on Goodread's cozy group. This book really isn't grabbing me. I know it is the first book in the series and there is a location setting and piles of characters. I will finish. Anyone read this series?

4buttercup avatar
Standard Member medalPrintable Postage medal
Date Posted: 10/21/2020 7:50 AM ET

I have read all but the most recent in the Spice Shop series. I wasn't too happy with the first one because I felt it was a bit preachy but the rest toned it down a little. In the second and third books the MC grew on me but the fourth one seemed to fall flat. The plots seemed ok. I liked her Food Lover's Village series better.

Bama-Booklover avatar
Date Posted: 10/22/2020 10:33 AM ET

I preferred her Food Lover Village series also.

Looks like I'm going to be short in the traveling outside the USA and the magic categories for this year's cozy challenge.......

frogslady avatar
Standard Member medal
Subject: My progress
Date Posted: 10/22/2020 11:32 AM ET

I only have one in the magic category so far... but I just picked up the first five in the Jayne Frost series from Half Price Books, so one day I'll binge through those and that category will be knocked out.

I also don't have the cat books started, but again... I have a series for that, and I am waiting till I have time to read several in a row. This will probably not be till December, but finals are over December 5, so there is plenty of time to read.

I am low on items in the out of USA. I did read Buried to the Brim.

I also only have one in the bookstore category. I need to find a series in a bookstore!

Last Edited on: 10/22/20 11:35 AM ET - Total times edited: 2
Bama-Booklover avatar
Date Posted: 10/22/2020 12:16 PM ET

I've just pulled books to read next and finish my bookstore category and one more out of the USA.   If anyone has a couple "magical" books and one outside the USA to post that are on my wishlist, feel free to do so.......anytime you post and it's on my wishlist, go for it.

Last Edited on: 10/23/20 12:14 PM ET - Total times edited: 2
Bama-Booklover avatar
Date Posted: 10/24/2020 5:11 PM ET

Is a haunted painting considered magical??  Well, I've decided this book is magical.  Pretty magical how secret designs are showing up in the paintings and how the lady leaves the painting to talk with the MC.  And the chapter I just read talks about magic.   Yes, I found a book for the magical category.

Murder Can Mess Up Your Masterpiece by Rose Pressey

Last Edited on: 10/24/20 7:25 PM ET - Total times edited: 1
Bama-Booklover avatar
Date Posted: 10/24/2020 9:44 PM ET

I need one more out of the USA book to declare my challenge completed (one is in progress but still need to find that 5th book).....and 20-25 states.......and I'd like one more spring book as I have two each of the other seasons.   I like to keep things even......

Update:  Good to go except for out of the USA books and state books.

Last Edited on: 10/25/20 1:09 PM ET - Total times edited: 1
ASJ avatar
Alice J. (ASJ) - ,
Date Posted: 11/7/2020 7:52 AM ET

I am vacation Thanksgiving week and will put up the 2021 challenge.

Suggestions on categories you would like to see?  new or repeating is fine.

Bama-Booklover avatar
Date Posted: 11/8/2020 12:02 PM ET

dogs on covers

new series

holiday theme

Last Edited on: 11/8/20 12:03 PM ET - Total times edited: 1
frogslady avatar
Standard Member medal
Date Posted: 11/8/2020 2:22 PM ET

Color?geographical thing like mountains, water, river, exc?
punny title

Continuer a series

Pub a certain year or range?

Page: