Skip to main content
PBS logo

Discussion Forums - Questions about PaperBackSwap Questions about PaperBackSwap

Topic: Ads showing up

Club rule - Please, if you cannot be courteous and respectful, do not post in this forum.
  Unlock Forum posting with Annual Membership.
Generic Profile avatar
Standard Member medalBox-O-Books medalPrintable Postage medal
Subject: Ads showing up
Date Posted: 2/11/2021 1:02 PM ET

Is anyone else that is a standard member having alot of ads show up?  I thought it was supposed to be ad free.

Theresa

IlliniAlum83 avatar
Standard Member medalPBS Cruise Attendee medal
Date Posted: 2/11/2021 4:02 PM ET

Someone mentioned in another thread that the ads were tied to the sign on problems/ glitches happening. 

hardtack avatar
Standard Member medalPrintable Postage medal
Date Posted: 2/17/2021 9:32 AM ET

If you're using Firefox, click on Tools then Add-ons, then Ghostery. Then you get several options.  You can select the FREE option and it will instantly block ads. I did it the other day and and very happy to see no ads on the sites I visit. There are also two, low-cost, paid options, which I am considering.

Under Options, you can also select Privacy and Security, where you can also add sites where you want to allow cookies and ads. See the Manage Exceptions icon on the right side of the screen after selecting Privacy and Security.

The only thing you'll see after adding Ghostery is a small circle in the lower right hand corner, which displays the number of trackers on the page.

Since Ghostery is part of the approved Firefox add-ons, you don't need to worry if you are installing software with hidden features you might regret. Thank you Firefox.

Last Edited on: 2/17/21 12:36 PM ET - Total times edited: 3
rebeccam avatar
Date Posted: 2/17/2021 5:09 PM ET

Theresa, are the ads showing up before or after you log in and what pages are you seeing them? I haven't seen any ads so that is why I am asking.

rutabaker avatar
Standard Member medal
Date Posted: 2/17/2021 5:40 PM ET

I see ads on the log in pages. A few are adverts for PBS which I don't really mind but there are others as well both above and below the log in button/blank. Forum pages and book pages are ad free --- for now.

Generic Profile avatar
Standard Member medalBox-O-Books medalPrintable Postage medal
Date Posted: 2/17/2021 5:55 PM ET

I see the ads on the page where you would log in.

rebeccam avatar
Date Posted: 2/17/2021 6:04 PM ET

It sounds like once you log in and the site knows you are a paid member the ads are gone. I will try it later to see if I can see the ads too.

edit: thanks for letting me know where you were seeing the ads as I usually don't log in from the homepage but I did see some ads.

Last Edited on: 2/17/21 8:18 PM ET - Total times edited: 1
starvinArtist avatar
Date Posted: 2/19/2021 12:56 AM ET

I am a standard member and even though I cleared my cookies as advised, I still get ads on the log in page!  Still driving me crazy.  I have remember me checked off so I don't have to log in,  but it doesn't matter.