Skip to main content
PBS logo

Discussion Forums - USPS Postal Regulations USPS Postal Regulations

Topic: Appropriate packaging for Media Mail?

Club rule - Please, if you cannot be courteous and respectful, do not post in this forum.
  Unlock Forum posting with Annual Membership.
reigners avatar
Subject: Appropriate packaging for Media Mail?
Date Posted: 9/20/2007 1:13 PM ET

My mother recently had 2-6lb boxes of books to send to me. She lives in a fairly large area -- Virginia Beach -- so I didn't expect her to have many issues. I told her to take them to the PO and tell them they only had books and that she wanted the Media Mail rate. Otherwise she'll tend to go the "easy" route and take 'em to fedex or something and pay out the nose. So, she goes to the PO, she tells them what I told her to say, and the first guy told her that she couldn't have Media Mail. Wouldn't say why, just that she couldn't have it. This was also after waiting 45 minutes. My mother is not a patient woman, so I'm surprised she waited. She then decides to go to a diff PO near where she works. She has to wait over an hour this time, and then she's told that her packaging isn't appopriate for Media Mail. I've never heard such a thing! She simply used Amazon boxes with the old UPS labels torn off and the address put on it. She sealed it up pretty good too. She ended up going to UPS and paying 3 times the amount she really needed to to get some books to me. Frustrating!

So, I'm curious what is appropriate packaging?

Thanks!

--Andrea

mpmarus avatar
Friend of PBS-Silver medal
Date Posted: 9/20/2007 2:33 PM ET

The Amazon boxes were appropriate. My guess is, because of the heightened awareness of folks trying to mail non-media items by Media Mail, the clerk would have found fault with any wrapping where s/he could not immediately tell it's a book.

The regs (DMM 173) don't specify a specific type of wrapper for MM, they do say it can be inspected to verify it's books. I'm quickly reaching the point where clerks can tell me something that I know is wrong and I say "Show Me" (as in, show me in the regs where it says that).I say it nicely, but I won't back down. Which is what your Mom could have done, that or offered to let them open the box for inspection right there.

Motleigh avatar
Date Posted: 9/20/2007 6:49 PM ET

the only thing I can think of is did the box have any priority mail markings on it?

Bravescatz avatar
Date Posted: 9/20/2007 8:46 PM ET

I don't think you can use any package with markings or advertisements for media mail. Wouldn't amazon.com boxes have their name on the outside which means no media mail?

Generic Profile avatar
Date Posted: 9/20/2007 9:27 PM ET

I have sent books Media Mail that I have sold through Amazon, and Amazon tells you to place the Amazon name on the package.  So, I am not sure if that is the reason.

Coffee avatar
Member of the Month medal
Date Posted: 9/21/2007 1:56 PM ET

Having Amazon on the box wouldn't affect it, using a box with Priority or First Class marked on it would.  With out seeing the box I really can't what the problem with it was, sorry.

Sleepy26177 avatar
Date Posted: 9/21/2007 8:34 PM ET
How strange, I use the Amazon boxes all the time when sending more then two books. Nobody ever had an issue with it.
Seagull avatar
Friend of PBS-Triple Diamond medal
Date Posted: 9/23/2007 12:37 PM ET

Last Edited on: 2/5/15 12:23 AM ET - Total times edited: 1