Skip to main content
PBS logo

Discussion Forums - Fantasy

Topic: Armageddon's Children - Terry Brooks.

Club rule - Please, if you cannot be courteous and respectful, do not post in this forum.
  Unlock Forum posting with Annual Membership.
Generic Profile avatar
Subject: Armageddon's Children - Terry Brooks.
Date Posted: 8/16/2007 2:48 AM ET

So I went to Waldenbooks today and forked over the cash to buy this book. 

I sit down thinking I would start reading it because I love the Shannara series.  As soon as I open it, I start reading and the words look so familiar.  I keep reading the first 3 pages and come to the realization that I have definately read that part before.  I look at the back of the book to see if I might have already read the book from the library. 

I notice this quote "Bestseller Brooks effortlessly connects the Tolkien-infused magic of his Shannara books....with the urban, postapocalyptic world of his Word and the Void series..."

WOW.  That is a big connection from the two worlds.  Does that mean since the Word and the Void is post-apocalyptic and now Shannara is connected that Shannara books should really be Sci-fi? lol.

Generic Profile avatar
Date Posted: 8/16/2007 2:22 PM ET

There were definitely scifi elements in the "Voyage of the Jerle Shannara" series.  Remember the technological entity from a long gone society that the characters were saving the world from?  It's been a while since I've read it, but wasn't it called the Morgawr, or something like that? 

I need to catch up on those books.  The Jerle Shannara set was the last one I read.  I haven't read the High Druid or Word and Void sets yet.  Then it sounds like will need to get the Armageddon's Children too!

Generic Profile avatar
Date Posted: 8/16/2007 5:28 PM ET

Yeah I noticed the elements of technology too. I was just shocked when I read that he was connecting the two worlds. 

Armageddon's Children is just the first of 3 books to make the connection.  I thought the same thing...time to reread The Word And The Void series lol.  Now I just have to finishe the 3 other books I picked up at the same time before going back to those.