Skip to main content
PBS logo

Discussion Forums - Historical Fiction

Topic: August HF Reads

Club rule - Please, if you cannot be courteous and respectful, do not post in this forum.
  Unlock Forum posting with Annual Membership.
Generic Profile avatar
Standard Member medalFriend of PBS-Gold medalPBS Blog Contributor medal
Subject: August HF Reads
Date Posted: 8/1/2020 6:30 PM ET

Beginning the month reading The Paris Spy by Susan Elia MacNeal.  Very well done and an award winner, too.

Last Edited on: 8/4/20 10:20 AM ET - Total times edited: 2
ASJ avatar
Alice J. (ASJ) - ,
Standard Member medalMember of the Month medalFriend of PBS-Double Diamond medalPrintable Postage medal
Date Posted: 8/2/2020 6:52 AM ET

I am reading 

Three Hours in Paris by Caro Black. Set in 1940 Paris about the assissination attempt on Adolf Hitler. Very interesting.

ASJ avatar
Alice J. (ASJ) - ,
Standard Member medalMember of the Month medalFriend of PBS-Double Diamond medalPrintable Postage medal
Date Posted: 8/4/2020 7:16 AM ET

I am reading the Sleeping Dictionary by Sujata Massey. Set in 1930's interesting. I know very little of India at this time so I am finding the history and culture quite interesting.

ASJ avatar
Alice J. (ASJ) - ,
Date Posted: 8/9/2020 7:31 AM ET

I am reading The Glass Ocean by Betriz Williams. Set in 1915. It is about the sinking of Lusitania. Interesting. Written by  3 authors.

Generic Profile avatar
Date Posted: 8/13/2020 11:11 AM ET

Reading Watchers of Time (Inspector Ian Rutledge, Bk 5) by Charles Todd which is the 12th read by this author.  Love his mysteries.

ASJ avatar
Alice J. (ASJ) - ,
Date Posted: 8/15/2020 7:23 AM ET

I started  The Girls with No Names by Serena Burdick. Set 1910 New York. About Houses of Mercy very interstings.

yankeechick avatar
Standard Member medal
Date Posted: 8/24/2020 8:47 AM ET

Started Blood is Blood by Will Thomas this morning

CR

ssgilby avatar
Limited Member medal
Date Posted: 8/27/2020 1:42 PM ET

Currently (and have been for awhile) reading The Gilded Hour by Sarah Donati.  Reading this for the HF challenge - bonus category for reading a book relating to Cheryl.   I somehow ended up with two copies and posted one to Cheryl.  We talked about doing a RAL together with it.  We never got to it.  Sigh.  

This book is okay. In fact, I think many would think it excellent.  I guess I'm just not into it. I've been doing a lot of non-fiction reading which is really vying for my attention and winning, so it's been slow going. Hoping to finish soon so I can move onto something that hopefully captures my interest more. 

Also STILL listening to Castle of Kings.  I'm kind of "eh" on this one, but I'm so far into it, I might as well just finish it out. 

I'm on a massive mission to declutter our house this fall/winter since we will be moving next spring (as well as I am very interested in the idea of lightening up our "stuff," - not quite strict minimalism, but very close to it), so I have been really sidetracked by that.  Can't do much this time of year as we are still going to the lake most weekends, but I try to do a bit here and there when I can.  

Generic Profile avatar
Date Posted: 8/28/2020 6:42 PM ET

Am reading The Radium Girls, a historical - only 20% in but it's sooo good.  More later but I find this book informative and very well written.

Last Edited on: 8/28/20 9:35 PM ET - Total times edited: 2
yankeechick avatar
Standard Member medal
Date Posted: 8/31/2020 11:38 AM ET

I started City of Secrets by Stewart O'Nan.

yankeechick avatar
Standard Member medal
Date Posted: 8/31/2020 11:39 AM ET

REK - I heard only great things about Radium Girls.

Generic Profile avatar
Date Posted: 8/31/2020 12:07 PM ET

The Radium Girls is a  good, good book.  I can't say it was enjoyable but it was so well written and researched that I couldn't stop reading it.  The historical tale focused on the lives of women who suffered from radium poisoning.  Industry discovered this amazing luminous element and exploited it to the fullest.  The book discusses primarily the women who painted luminous dials.  Hundreds of women, some as young as fourteen, worked directly with products containing radium with no protective gear nor precautions about how it might well affect their lives.  No one really knows how many women became sick due to contact with radium because many deaths were attributed to other factors.  The author, an Englishwoman, became interested in the story when she worked on a play about the women.  She discovered that most of the information she found focused on the scientific and legal aspects.  She decided to tell the story from the standpoint of the workers, choosing several who were so ill that they died far too early in life.

Last Edited on: 9/1/20 11:19 AM ET - Total times edited: 2