Skip to main content
PBS logo

Discussion Forums - Sports

Topic: Baseball playoffs

Club rule - Please, if you cannot be courteous and respectful, do not post in this forum.
Page:   Unlock Forum posting with Annual Membership.
Generic Profile avatar
Date Posted: 10/26/2018 6:50 AM ET

Commercials are the reason I quit watching TV several years ago. For sports I watch highlights of games on youtube. On youtube you can watch a variety of games and see stuff I would not see on commercial TV.

There is some discussion in most sports of having adverts on player uniforms. The NBA has talked about it. How would that go over in baseball?

I've always thought that in baseball the players should be required to wear their pants the same way. I think all players should wear the pants at the knee with a lot of sock showing. I think it is weird to have some players with knee high pants and some with pants around their ankles.

Last Edited on: 10/26/18 6:56 AM ET - Total times edited: 1
vintagejoy avatar
Standard Member medalMember of the Month medalBook Cover Image Group medalBook Data Correction Group medalTour Guide Leader medalFriend of PBS-Silver medalPBS Blog Contributor medalPrintable Postage medal
Date Posted: 10/26/2018 11:58 AM ET

I never thought about having the players all wear their pants the same length!  There are much fewer players wearing the pants at the knee.  It is too the point that you can recognize which players do this.  Brock Holt of the Red Sox, Brett Gardner of the Yankees, etc.  I have, however, noted that there are players who look like they are wearing their pajamas on the field due to the fit.  That can be distracting.  Manny Ramirez is one who looked like this, and CC Sabathia has the lead in that category now.   :)

Man, I hope they don't start having uniforms carry advertising.  Although, come to think of it, golf players generally have some sort of advertising on their hats.  

What do you think about the talk that Manny Machado of the Dodgers is a dirty player?  Personally, I think he is.  He has had a couple episodes during the post season that were questionable.  Like kicking the foot of the Brewers first baseman.  In Boston, of course, he is persona non grata after spiking Dustin Pedroia in the knee sliding into second base.  Pedroia has been out this whole season recovering from a surgical procedure trying to correct that problem.  

Generic Profile avatar
Date Posted: 10/26/2018 12:22 PM ET

I've heard the talk about Machado. I haven't had a chance to see the incidents he is accused of. I can't say I have an opinion when I haven't seen the stuff. They say his reputation may have an impact on whatever salary he gets this off season. He is due for another contract at the end of this year.

Generic Profile avatar
Date Posted: 10/29/2018 12:23 PM ET

congrats to Boston. so baseball is over for this year. I'll miss it.

Page: