Skip to main content
PBS logo

Discussion Forums - Questions about PaperBackSwap Questions about PaperBackSwap

Topic: Is bonded leather the same as hardcover?

Club rule - Please, if you cannot be courteous and respectful, do not post in this forum.
  Unlock Forum posting with Annual Membership.
littlecutiepatootie avatar
Subject: Is bonded leather the same as hardcover?
Date Posted: 9/13/2019 5:34 PM ET

I have a book that is ISBN 0785209794 Come Let Us Adore Him Selected Scriptures with Christmas Reflections by Thomas Kinkade

1. I have the box this book was gifted in and that is the only place where the ISBN is listed. It is not listed in the book itself. I will be shipping with the box that has the same title and artwork.  So is it postable?

2. PBS system has this listed as a hardcover. But even Amazon has it listed as a bonded leather. Is that the same as hardcover? Is my book postable by the ISBN this way as well?

bookbuggg avatar
Standard Member medalBook Cover Image Group medalBook Data Correction Group medal
Date Posted: 9/13/2019 11:04 PM ET

No, bonded leather is different than a hardcover. I think you should ask PBS about this because sometimes ISBN's are reused and that may be the case with your book. 

Good luck with it! :-)

hardtack avatar
Standard Member medalPrintable Postage medal
Date Posted: 9/14/2019 2:11 PM ET

What! Bonded leather is used for books? This is news to me. I always thought bonded leather was only used by a dominatrix. This makes me wonder what kind of person reads books with bonded leather. wink

Last Edited on: 9/14/19 8:04 PM ET - Total times edited: 1
IlliniAlum83 avatar
Standard Member medalPBS Cruise Attendee medal
Date Posted: 9/14/2019 3:35 PM ET

hahaha, Thomas......have missed your dry humor since our Dorian convo.

littlecutiepatootie avatar
Date Posted: 9/14/2019 10:40 PM ET

LOL Thomas F too funny...So glad someone can have humor when dealing with books.

Thank you Michele L. I will try my guide I guess? Off to find a PBS contact. 

Cathy avatar
Cathy A. (Cathy) - ,
Date Posted: 9/15/2019 12:39 PM ET

Zoe - you can use the Contact Us link under the Company heading at the bottom of any page to contact PBS directly.

I will disagree and say that you can post this book as a hardcover. It's a fancier version, but it's still a book with a stiff cover. PBS treats all books with stiff covers as hardcovers and all books with flexible covers as paperbacks. They don't differentiate between spiral bound, leather bound, deckle edge, etc. 

melanied avatar
Standard Member medalMember of the Month medalBook Cover Image Group medalBook Data Correction Group medalTour Guide Leader medalBook Bazaar Coordinator medal
Date Posted: 9/15/2019 5:17 PM ET

I believe it would be postable as a hard cover. If you cannot bend it, it is a hard cover. If it is flexible, it is not.

sarap avatar
Member of the Month medalFriend of PBS-Silver medal
Date Posted: 9/16/2019 5:43 PM ET

Yeah, I've seen leather bound books that are hard, and I've seen some that were soft and flexible. 

I would use the same logic as Melanie.