Skip to main content
PBS logo

Discussion Forums - Questions about PaperBackSwap Questions about PaperBackSwap

Topic: Book Passport

Club rule - Please, if you cannot be courteous and respectful, do not post in this forum.
  Unlock Forum posting with Annual Membership.
Generic Profile avatar
Standard Member medalPrintable Postage medal
Subject: Book Passport
Date Posted: 4/25/2014 3:11 PM ET

This was in the Newswire.. Question is..Where?  I have looked at several books in my bookshelf and TBR list.  I can't find it anywhere.

If members reposting books will do so from their TBR Piles or their Bookshelves (using the Post button at the top of those lists), the travel history of the books will be preserved in the Book Passport. It really can be amazing how many lives a book can have in the club - how far it can travel and how many readers it can delight!

Patouie avatar
Standard Member medalMember of the Month medalBook Cover Image Coordinator medalBook Data Approver medalTour Guide Asst. Coord. medalFriend of PBS-Silver medalPBS Cruise Attendee medalPBS Blog Contributor medal
Date Posted: 4/25/2014 3:21 PM ET

Go to your transaction archive (accessed from your My Account menu) and find a book you've received from another member.  You'll see a little blue footprint with a red circle around it.

Generic Profile avatar
Date Posted: 4/25/2014 3:30 PM ET

Oh,next to the ISBN-10 #.  Thank you.  I looked all over for the red circle and finally saw it.

Generic Profile avatar
Date Posted: 4/25/2014 3:45 PM ET

Another question..If you post a book to someone's wishlist does it show the footprint?

sasssy25 avatar
Standard Member medalFriend of PBS-Silver medal
Date Posted: 4/25/2014 4:16 PM ET

It should.  I think even the mail to a friend option preserves the passport.

Generic Profile avatar
Date Posted: 4/25/2014 4:20 PM ET

Ok, thank you.

miz-firefly avatar
Friend of PBS-Silver medal
Date Posted: 4/25/2014 4:36 PM ET

I use it often, the mail to a friend feature preserves the passport.

Generic Profile avatar
Date Posted: 4/25/2014 5:31 PM ET

That's good to know.  

IlliniAlum83 avatar
Standard Member medalPBS Cruise Attendee medal
Date Posted: 4/26/2014 11:25 AM ET

One of my issues lately is not having the "post" button available after I've read a book.....maybe I'm doing things in the wrong order or taking too long? I usually go to my TBR list and give the star rating and click "BIR" to move it to that list.  Then I will add tags and sometimes write a review. 

But the past 2 months I've not found the "post" option available all the time......what should I do to insure the book gets tracked via its passport?

Last Edited on: 4/26/14 11:27 AM ET - Total times edited: 1
sasssy25 avatar
Date Posted: 4/27/2014 5:14 AM ET

Jeanne, I don't know if this is your issue, but for some reason recently I haven't been able to post any books with Internet Explorer.  I have to open Firefox to do it.  It's worth a shot to see if the post button appears with a different browser.

soelo avatar
Date Posted: 4/27/2014 10:37 AM ET

go to my TBR list and give the star rating and click "BIR" to move it to that list

You don't have to click "BIR" if you rate the book; it automatically adds rated books to BIR.

entRedRaider avatar
Standard Member medal
Date Posted: 4/28/2014 3:02 PM ET

Hunh; thanks, Sarah.  I'll have to try that.  I always rate a book and then click on the "BIR" button and it gives me an error message that I have to rate the book first.  When I finish the book I'm on I'll just rate it and go!

MKSbooklady avatar
Subject: Book Passport
Date Posted: 2/2/2021 9:36 AM ET

I recently bought (really cheap, $2.50 for a giant bag of books) several, well actually a lot of books from our local library used book store-as I put them on my TBR list, I noticed that several already have a book passport.  I'm guessing whoever donated them got them from PBS.  Has this happend before?  I guess I shouldn't be that surprised. Some of these books have been around, and are now happy in warm and sunny Florida.  For the time being, anyway.  Thanks!

lionrose avatar
Date Posted: 2/2/2021 2:21 PM ET

You can see passports by looking at your Transaction Archive or bookshelf; but they should only show up on specific books you have received and sent. For example, the passport on any of the books from outside PBS (not received here) I've posted here only show "This book has yet to be mailed to another member." Others have the places from before I received it and then going on after I sent it. If you go back to the beginning of your TA you can see if books you've sent on have traveled beyond the person you sent it to.

I just checked my TBR and mostly only the non-WL books have the passport (though it's inconsistent) and most of those are showing the message that they've yet to be mailed. But I always add books received from PBS to my TBR so 99% of the passports should indicate where they came from.

I think the system is malfunctioning right now as there appear to be some issues with pages loading data incorrectly.

ETA: A few of the passports on my TBR books show travel between other members from years ago but do not show the most recent travel being sent to me/my location so there's likely something going on.

Last Edited on: 2/2/21 2:27 PM ET - Total times edited: 1
IlliniAlum83 avatar
Standard Member medalPBS Cruise Attendee medal
Date Posted: 2/4/2021 12:31 PM ET

Haha, I'm always amused to see old, old threads resurrected when the same issue is being discussed in real time. I never look for an old thread unless it's something like how to get rid of odors in books where the responses give the solutions. 

rebeccam avatar
Date Posted: 2/4/2021 4:36 PM ET

I think Karen might be seeing Bookcrossing codes where someone puts the number in the book for someone else to register it which is slightly different than PBS's Book Passport which just shows on the site and there are no codes to enter.

Glad you got a great deal on the books Karen :-)