Skip to main content
PBS logo

Discussion Forums - Questions about PaperBackSwap Questions about PaperBackSwap

Topic: Bookshelf Search Doesn't Work?

Club rule - Please, if you cannot be courteous and respectful, do not post in this forum.
  Unlock Forum posting with Annual Membership.
Generic Profile avatar
Standard Member medalMember of the Month medalBook Data Correction Group medalTour Guide Leader medalFriend of PBS-Silver medal
Subject: Bookshelf Search Doesn't Work?
Date Posted: 7/21/2007 9:57 AM ET

When I recently ordered a book and was given the option to check the member's bookshelf to see if there were other books I wanted to order, I tried the search fields and put in a genre, then Authors A-Z.  The books still came up alphabetically by title.  Am I doing something wrong?  Is there a way to put a member's book shelf into order by author's name instead of title?

bookaddicted avatar
Standard Member medalPBS Blog Contributor medal
Date Posted: 7/21/2007 10:00 AM ET

Try using "ReSort" first to go alphabetical then, search by genre.

thk avatar
Linda S. (thk) - ,
Standard Member medalFriend of PBS-Silver medal
Date Posted: 7/21/2007 4:29 PM ET

As best I can tell, Order More from Member does not allow a sort.

One possible way to do it is open another PBS window, and find the member's shelf (If they have a profile/nickname you can find it in the Member Directory).   Then you have 2 views of the same shelf, and can sort the
"full" view.  When you find one you want, click back to the Order More view to locate it there and order it (this is essential).

Another way to do it is order the one book, then find it in Books I've Requested.  Click PM to see whose shelf, then click the link to open the shelf in the "full" view".  When I see a book I want, I copy the title and author to a text document.  Then I can copy these titles/authors to a PM, to let the other member know these books are going to the same place, and they can save postage.  This is a little more risky for them if they do not read the PM, but they usually should see it.

icesk8tr avatar
Standard Member medalMember of the Month medalTour Guide Coordinator medalFriend of PBS-Gold medalPBS Blog Contributor medalPrintable Postage medal
Date Posted: 7/22/2007 11:23 AM ET

When you are in the order more from a member you can only do a search by genre. I do not see anywhere where you can sort the list that is generated.

Diane

Catspaw avatar
Date Posted: 7/22/2007 11:49 AM ET

Oops!  I suggested to someone ordering one of the Crimson City books that if she was interested in others in the series she could search under "Crimson" on my shelf, since they all have different authors, but put "Crimson" somewhere in the title.  Guess not!

icesk8tr avatar
Standard Member medalMember of the Month medalTour Guide Coordinator medalFriend of PBS-Gold medalPBS Blog Contributor medalPrintable Postage medal
Date Posted: 7/22/2007 2:32 PM ET

Sharon - You can search for a keyword on the persons bookshelf also.

There are just limited sorting capabilities on a persons bookshelf when using the Order more from a member option.

Diane

Catspaw avatar
Date Posted: 7/22/2007 3:45 PM ET

Thanks Diane - just tried it- it works!