Compulsive Hoarding and Acquiring: Therapist Guide (Treatments That Work)
Compulsive Hoarding and Acquiring Therapist Guide - Treatments That Work Author:Gail Steketee, Randy O. Frost The problem of compulsive hoarding and acquiring is more widespread than commonly believed. It often goes undiagnosed, either because sufferers are ashamed of their compulsions or because they dont believe it is a problem that merits professional attention. As much as two percent of the U.S. population suffers secretly from this condition. Howev... more »er, compulsive hoarding can be an emotionally exhausting, uncontrollable, and sometimes dangerous problem.
Written by the developers of this groundbreaking treatment, this manual is the first to present an empirically supported and effective CBT program for treating compulsive hoarding and acquiring. This guide gives clinicians the information to understand hoarding and proven tools to help clients overcome their compulsive behaviors. It teaches individuals how to recognize errors in thinking and uses both imagined and real exposures to teach them the skills they need to manage their problem. Home visits by the clinician are a part of the treatment, as well as consultations with other professionals who might assist if necessary. Homework exercises include behavioral experiments to test personal beliefs about possessions, developing an organization plan and filing system, and sorting and organizing items room-by-room.
Designed to be used in conjunction with the corresponding workbook, this therapist guide provides numerous assessment and intervention forms to help clients use the methods described in this program. Complete with case examples and strategies for dealing with problems, this user-friendly guide is a dependable resource that no clinician can do without.
TreatmentsThatWorkTM represents the gold standard of behavioral healthcare interventions!
· All programs have been rigorously tested in clinical trials and are backed by years of research
· A prestigious scientific advisory board, led by series Editor-In-Chief David H. Barlow, reviews and evaluates each intervention to ensure that it meets the highest standard of evidence so you can be confident that you are using the most effective treatment available to date
· Our books are reliable and effective and make it easy for you to provide your clients with the best care available
· Our corresponding workbooks contain psychoeducational information, forms and worksheets, and homework assignments to keep clients engaged and motivated
· A companion website (www.oup.com/us/ttw) offers downloadable clinical tools and helpful resources
· Continuing Education (CE) Credits are now available on select titles in collaboration with PsychoEducational Resources, Inc. (PER)« less