The Dog Whisperer: A Compassionate, Nonviolent Approach to Dog Training
The Dog Whisperer A Compassionate Nonviolent Approach to Dog Training Author:Paul Owens, Norma Eckroate The gentle, nonviolent training methods and mysteries of "horse whisperers" have recently enlightened the world's consciousness of nonviolent training methods. Now, in The Dog Whisperer, trainer Paul Owens offers a compassionate, nonviolent approach to dog training. His spiritual approach links sound training principles with intuitive a... more »nd effective insights. Owens' compassionate training methods will help you create an emotional bridge to "plug in" and create a deeper bond with your dog than you thought possible. The Dog Whisperer offers a truly humane, revolutionary, and common sense approach to raising and training your dog. You will learn:
* Learn "dog speak" the body language and vocalizations needed to communicate with your dog.
* How to train your dog without jerking, hitting, kicking, shocking, or shaking
* How to turn affection, play, toys, praise, and social freedom into powerful rewards.
* Learn five ways to establish a leadership role so your dog will happily follow your lead.
* Eliminate behavioral problems such as jumping, barking, and digging.
* How easy and fun training can be when you use The Nine Ingredients of Reward-Based Dog Training and turn affection, play, toys, praise, and social freedom into powerful rewards.« less
Paul Owens is terrific.
Sure, Cesar Milan is flashy and great on TV, but Paul Owens can teach you to help your dog succeed in a monkey world in the first 5 minutes of reading... or watching one of his DVDs. I've been working with my dogs for years (successfully), but this is the first time I have seen methods work in minutes.
I just moved overseas and started having trouble with one of my dogs who was suddenly very insecure (understandably!). Paul Owens' books were in the library rather than Cesar Milan's. I'm not dissing Cesar; I have used the same methods.
My dog immediately improved. I have to be diligent, but she's getting better every day!I have to say, I haven't use the clicker yet. Lots of people believe in it and Owens recommends it, but I just haven't found one here yet.
Doris H. (dorisruth) reviewed The Dog Whisperer: A Compassionate, Nonviolent Approach to Dog Training on
Helpful Score: 1
It was a truly compassionate and nonviolent approach to dog training. The only problem I had is that it seems geared to starting with a puppy and I was interested in help for an older dog. All, in all a fine book for a new pet owner.