Skip to main content
PBS logo

Discussion Forums - Fantasy

Topic: Favorite Author of Avalon Type Books?

Club rule - Please, if you cannot be courteous and respectful, do not post in this forum.
  Unlock Forum posting with Annual Membership.
TXGrobanite avatar
Subject: Favorite Author of Avalon Type Books?
Date Posted: 8/2/2007 4:07 PM ET

Hi there!  I am new to this Genre of books and i'm really hooked into Avalon.  I've also posted this into the Sci/Fi genre as i'm not really sure where this falls so forgive me if I posted this in the wrong section...but I was wondering, besides Marion Zimmer Bradly, are there any other authors who write a lot about Avalon??  Thank you!! 

Keri

Criskat avatar
Friend of PBS-Silver medal
Date Posted: 8/20/2007 5:15 PM ET

Was it Mary Stewart that wrote The Hollow Hills and The Wicked Day? I think so. Anyway it's 4 books about Arthurian legend. Also there is Queen of the Summer Country written by Mills(sorry, can't remember the first name) I think there's 3 books so far. Kenneth Flint has written a series based on Arthurian legends also. First book is Legends Reborn.

There are a lot. YOu might go to amazon and use Avalon as a keyword to find other authors that have written about Arthur and Gueneviere et al.

Generic Profile avatar
Date Posted: 8/21/2007 8:57 AM ET

Road to Avalon by Joan Wolf is quite good.

Did you want specifically Avalon and Goddess religion books or any books about Arthurian legends which might not have anything to do with Avalon? I can give you quite a list if the latter.

Sabriel avatar
Date Posted: 8/24/2007 3:12 AM ET

Queen of the Summer County is Rosalind Miles.  There is "I am Morgaine le Fay (sp?)"   But I wouldn't put in the same category as Mists of Avalon, especially since its YA.

royaltech avatar
Member of the Month medalBook Cover Image Approver medalBook Data Coordinator medalFriend of PBS-Gold medal
Date Posted: 9/9/2007 4:54 AM ET

Irene Radford has a set called Merlin's Descendents, they are the children of Merlin. I haven't read them yet, and just started gathering them, but the sure look good!

1. Guardian of the Balance (1999)
  2. Guardian of the Trust (2000)
  3. Guardian of the Vision (2001)
  4. Guardian of the Promise (2003)
  5. Guardian of the Freedom (2005)

Then Quinn Taylor Evans has a set called Merlin's Legacy on the daughters of Merlin. Again, don't have them, so haven't read them yet, but they really look good :)

1. Daughter of Fire (1996)
  2. Daughter of the Mist (1996)
  3. Daughter of Light (1997)
  4. Shadows of Camelot (1997)
  5. Dawn of Camelot (1998)
  6. Daughter of Camelot (1998)

And I just came across this set that looks really good!!! Mike Ashley's Chronicles:

1. The Chronicles of the Round Table (1987)
  2. The Pendragon Chronicles: Heroic Fantasy from the Time of King Arthur (1988)
  3. The Camelot Chronicles: Heroic Fantasy from the Time of King Arthur (1992)
  4. The Merlin Chronicles (1995)
  5. Chronicles of the Holy Grail (1996)

Stephen Lawhead has his Pendragon set:

1. Taliesin (1987)
  2. Merlin (1988)
  3. Arthur (1989)
  4. Pendragon (1994)
  5. Grail (1997)

You can go to the WorldCat site for interlibrary searching, and go to the Advance search, type in Avalon in the subject, and it will reaturn to you 500+ books on or related to Avalon. I think I have something else in my TBR, I'll look later and post here if I find something.