Skip to main content
PBS logo

Discussion Forums - Children's Books

Topic: Favorite children's books but can't remember title or author?

Club rule - Please, if you cannot be courteous and respectful, do not post in this forum.
  Unlock Forum posting with Annual Membership.
Generic Profile avatar
Subject: Favorite children's books but can't remember title or author?
Date Posted: 8/18/2007 2:17 AM ET

This is an absolute long shot,  but I was wondering if anyone knew of a website that helps look up old children's books.  I had this one book when I was small that I loved.  All I can remember was that the book was written in the early 1980's and the main character was a young girl named Melanie who went away for summer camp.  She, ofcourse, had a crush on a boy and had to fight off a bully.  It bugs me I can't remember the title and author.  I feel there is some hope because I did find another old book I was looking for.

Generic Profile avatar
Date Posted: 8/18/2007 6:51 PM ET

People sometimes post questions like this in the forums at LibraryThing.  You might also try a keyword search at WorldCat.  (Long shots, but still shots.) 

BarteringBibliophile avatar
Date Posted: 9/4/2007 12:12 PM ET

I think I found the book you are looking for. It's Hail Hail Camp Timberwood by Ellen Conford. It was first published in 1978.

Here's a description I found:

"This is a preteen book about a very sheltered 13 yr.old girl named Melanie who is forced to go away to camp for about 6 weeks. At first Mel is quite homesick and scared of all the new activities, but she starts to really enjoy herself and grow up.She makes new friends and learns assertiveness,especially when it comes to dealing with a bully. "

I hope this is the book you've been searching for!  : )

Mistry avatar
Kim (Mistry) -
Standard Member medal
Date Posted: 9/6/2007 6:46 PM ET

Shawnee, the best site for this that I have found is www.abebooks.com   They have a forum called Booksleuth and the members there are amazing! They've found so many books for me when  I've had very little info to go on.  Give them a try.

Generic Profile avatar
Date Posted: 9/6/2007 9:31 PM ET

Thanks for all your suggestions.   Hail Hail Camp Timberwood is the book!!!!