Skip to main content
PBS logo

Discussion Forums - Hidden Gems Hidden Gems

Topic: Great Canadian book

Club rule - Please, if you cannot be courteous and respectful, do not post in this forum.
  Unlock Forum posting with Annual Membership.
Generic Profile avatar
Subject: Great Canadian book
Date Posted: 9/29/2007 10:05 AM ET

I have just read Beyond Forget the fifth time around. Its a great Canadian travel Book. The story revolves around a gentleman on a tight budget using his beat up old car to travel the expansive country of Canada. Unlike other travel books this focuses on the cultural and ethnic areas of the great country. I personally did a cross country bicycle ride through Canada and visited Forget in Canada. To get a perspective of the country Canada is larger than the United States and has one tenth of the population of the United States. The book is old 1979 or thereabouts but it is still timeless.

Generic Profile avatar
Date Posted: 9/29/2007 10:49 AM ET

That book sounds interesting Jerry.  I never realized that Canada was larger than the US. 

I think a bike ride like yours would be so educational and fun (if taken in July!)  I have a friend who rode her bicycle across the US.  She dipped her back tire in the Pacific and finally dipped her front tire in the Atlantic.  She kept an online journal and it was so neat to read about her travels as she was on the road.

biancaneve avatar
Date Posted: 10/1/2007 9:30 AM ET

One of my favorite Canadian authors is Robertson Davies - I love, love, love Murther and Walking Spirits and am always trying to get more people to read him.