Skip to main content
PBS logo

Discussion Forums - Questions about PaperBackSwap Questions about PaperBackSwap

Topic: Has this happened to you?

Club rule - Please, if you cannot be courteous and respectful, do not post in this forum.
  Unlock Forum posting with Annual Membership.
dilldaise avatar
Standard Member medalFriend of PBS-Silver medalPrintable Postage medal
Subject: Has this happened to you?
Date Posted: 9/24/2007 9:29 PM ET

I found a 2-for-1 offer in the Book Bazaar last week.  I let her know that I ordered one book thru the system and  I posted my "freebie" in the Book Bazaar message board. 

She denied my book -- so it went on to the FIFO system.  And so, of course, I didn't get my freebie.

She also edited her original post after I placed my order as "offer closed".    She never PM'd me or anything and now her shelf is on "vacation".

Obviously, I'll mark the book as received to the person who did send it to me; but I'm a bit ticked that I missed out on the "freebie" offer; because I probably wouldn't have ordered the book by itself it was on my RL.

So I'm just wondering if this has happened before to anyone?  Does the system note a problem like this with the user?  Gosh, I had even emailed her how great of a shelf she had --- she never responded to anything!

TIA ~ Irene

Guinan avatar
Date Posted: 9/24/2007 9:36 PM ET

Yup something similar happened to me, person offered a 2 for 1, and I waited... of course it took forever to go from waiting on member to will mail by, so eventually I PM'ed her.  She cancelled because she didn't realize the extra cost of postage costs.  No I'm sorry, no PM's explaining nothing. It was very annoying all around and kept me from the book bazaar for a long time.  I eventually went back and have had nothing but terrific experiences since.

pondfrogs avatar
Date Posted: 9/24/2007 9:40 PM ET

that's interesting....I didn't know that if you ordered directly off someones shelf and it was denied that it would automatically go to the fifo.  I would think that  the system would give you the opportunity to choose to get it from a random person (FIFO) before it went ahead and did it.

learn somethin' new all the time around here  :-)

dilldaise avatar
Standard Member medalFriend of PBS-Silver medalPrintable Postage medal
Date Posted: 9/24/2007 9:49 PM ET

I did get the notification that the book was on the way in my account.  I just assumed it was the offer from her (two books).  I didn't think to look at which member it was from because I didn't think she wasn't going to fulfill the offer.  I was surprised that today it arrived alone  then  I noticed the book was from a different member than whom I placed the order with.   Am I making sense?  {Sometimes I read what I write and not so sure it makes sense!}

ETA:  At least I did get a response to my PM.  She had only specific books for the 2-for-1 special and not the entire bookshelf.  Never heard of that before.   A PM to my original request would have been nice.    Live & Learn!  Must be a full moon soon! : )

Last Edited on: 9/24/07 10:08 PM ET - Total times edited: 1
annakanga avatar
Limited Member medalMember of the Month medal
Date Posted: 9/25/2007 10:49 AM ET

In reading this, I was thinking about something that happened to me.  I posted a 2 for 1 deal in the book bazaar once.  Someone responded directly to the thread that they wanted to do a deal, rather than PMing me.  I was still sorta new, so it never occured to me that people would respond to the thread - I assumed that anyone who wanted a deal would PM me.  So, because PBS does not notify when there is a reply to the thread, I didn't know about her request until a few days later when I happened to check it.

So, sometimes I see people doing this on the book bazaar, and I just wanted to give a heads up - not everyone checks their posts in the bazaar.  So, if you want to do a deal, my advice is to PM directly. 

Generic Profile avatar
Member of the Month medal
Date Posted: 9/25/2007 11:51 PM ET

Any deals that I have done, or credit sales that I have also done quite a bit, I have put a note in the thread itself to send me a PM, and put a note in the thread, too, to bump it up---that way both things get taken care of.

marciac10 avatar
Date Posted: 9/27/2007 7:41 AM ET

Lisa said, "So, because PBS does not notify when there is a reply to the thread, I didn't know about her request until a few days later when I happened to check it."

At the top of each thread, you can click the button "Watch  Topic."  If your email notifications are turned on in your settings, you will get an email when a reply is posted.   If you decide later you don't want the notifications on that thread, just go back to the thread and click the button Unwatch Topic.

lleewisc avatar
Friend of PBS-Silver medal
Date Posted: 9/28/2007 12:47 AM ET

This sort of happened to me.  I responded to a 3 for 1 deal and the person could not find one of the books.  She quickly PM'ed me back , explained the situation and asked me to pick something else, so I did.  No problem with her at all.  But later I also noticed that the book was on my account home page as being mailed.  I thought it was odd - only later did I realize that it came from someone else.  No, I would not have ordered it by itself for a credit, but it was too late at that point.

Another thing that I noticed is that if the book goes lost or is cancelled by the sender, it will be automatically put on your Reminder LIst or your Wish List.  For me, it was kind of random which list it went to.  I had to turn down a couple of Wish LIst offers because they were for books I didn't even know were on my Wish LIst!

Generic Profile avatar
Date Posted: 9/28/2007 3:42 AM ET

Yes, I have had this happen but it was an innocent mistake. Mine got sent into FIFO and I got the book without the deal. The difference with me though is that I make it a habit to NEVER take a deal if the books weren't something I would originally get without a deal. I mean, if I don't want it enough to order it for one credit, I don't want it that bad! :) It's curbed me from doing a lot of deal ordering just for the sake of getting two books for one credit.

debs avatar
Book Cover Image Group medalBook Data Correction Group medalFriend of PBS-Silver medal
Date Posted: 9/28/2007 7:05 AM ET

from Marcia: At the top of each thread, you can click the button "Watch  Topic."  If your email notifications are turned on in your settings, you will get an email when a reply is posted.   If you decide later you don't want the notifications on that thread, just go back to the thread and click the button Unwatch Topic.

I wouldn't rely on that.  I've frequently tried to use the 'Watch Topic' feature, and have find that it works very intermittently.  (Since it works some of the time, I do believe that my profile is set up properly.)  I checked the threads on a regular basis and am sure there were replies which I was not notified of. 

-Deb

harmony85 avatar
Date Posted: 9/28/2007 9:05 AM ET

People can make deals however they want-for ex., only certain books on their shelf are included in the deal.   However, IMO these kinds of deals can sometimes be confusing!  But she did have a right to do that.

However, if someone offers any deals,  they should answer PMs and try to work out problems or questions the requestor has as much as possible!  It's common courtesy to answer PMs if needed-after all, not only are they doing YOU a favor by offering deals, you are doing THEM a favor as well, if they are offering deals to clean up their shelves and get rid of books.

Just my two cents.

drewsmom avatar
Date Posted: 9/28/2007 9:23 AM ET

I've had that happen to me twice.  The first time was when I figured out that my request would go to the next person.  Thankfully I was right online, checking my account and I got a PM from the gal explaining why she denied me and at the same time I got a "blurb" saying we were "waiting on member" to respond.  I'm thinking why are we waiting on member when she already denied.  Hmmm? 

So the second time I was right on it and got it cancelled.  Personally, I don't like that option because if I've ordered directly from someone's shelf, I've done so for a reason.  If there was, after cancellation, the option to be moved on to the next person in line, I would appreciate that, but not just the automatic way it's done now.  But now that I know how it works, it's certainly not a big enough annoyance to make me leave PBS.  But I do understand how when one expects one thing and gets another with no warning, that it's not very pleasing.