Skip to main content
PBS logo

Discussion Forums - Historical Fiction

Topic: Historical Fiction Reads for August

Club rule - Please, if you cannot be courteous and respectful, do not post in this forum.
  Unlock Forum posting with Annual Membership.
ASJ avatar
Alice J. (ASJ) - ,
Standard Member medalMember of the Month medalFriend of PBS-Double Diamond medalPrintable Postage medal
Subject: Historical Fiction Reads for August
Date Posted: 8/4/2019 7:05 AM ET

So what is everyone reading.

I just Finished Louise's Gamble by Sarah R. Shaber. Set in 1942 Washington DC. Good perspective of War Years.

ASJ avatar
Alice J. (ASJ) - ,
Standard Member medalMember of the Month medalFriend of PBS-Double Diamond medalPrintable Postage medal
Date Posted: 8/6/2019 7:02 AM ET

I am staring That Churchill Woman by Stephanie Barron . Wow Jenny Churchill is quite the woman.

Generic Profile avatar
Standard Member medalFriend of PBS-Gold medalPBS Blog Contributor medal
Date Posted: 8/6/2019 9:04 AM ET

Finished reading The Traitor's Wife by Susan Higginbotham.  Read it in 2017 but it was better this time around.  I think I remembered enough to catch more of the details.  Great book.

Last Edited on: 8/9/19 7:22 AM ET - Total times edited: 1
hannamatt52 avatar
Friend of PBS-Gold medal
Date Posted: 8/12/2019 2:01 PM ET

I finished The Watchmaker of Filigree Street by Natasha Pulley.  I think this is the first time I have read anything in the historical fiction/steam punk vein.  I found it very intriguing.  I'm not sure what is up next to read.

ASJ avatar
Alice J. (ASJ) - ,
Date Posted: 8/13/2019 6:56 AM ET

I finished Beantown Girls by Jane Healey. Set in 1944. Women from Boston join Red Cross good read.

ssgilby avatar
Limited Member medal
Date Posted: 8/13/2019 11:31 AM ET

I finished listening to The Kept the other day.  It was a well-written book but extremely dark and depressing and the ending was so not satisfying.  I'm not sure what I'll listen to next.  I'm reading The Whiskey Rebels, and I should finish that up in the next few days.

ASJ avatar
Alice J. (ASJ) - ,
Date Posted: 8/15/2019 6:37 AM ET

I am reading The Body in the Ballroom by R.J. Koreto.  Fun series with Alice Roosevelt as main character. Very entertaining

Generic Profile avatar
Date Posted: 8/15/2019 12:33 PM ET

Read Marlene by C.W. Gortner which I totally enjoyed.  If anyone is curious about the life of Marle Dietrich I highly recommend this read.  Can't post my copy as it's an ARC copy.  However, she was quite a woman  - hardworking, driven and some would say controlling.  As her career evolved she noted which experiences helped and which didn't thereby focusing on those which would enhance her career.  And, her commitment to her adopted country during WWII is spelled out in detail.  She was so appalled by the Nazi Jewish activities that she worked harder than any other entertainer giving USO performances for the soldiers.  Working so hard she endangered her health several times.yet continued to perform for the soldiers as often as she could.  Good, good read.

Last Edited on: 8/22/19 5:43 PM ET - Total times edited: 2
ASJ avatar
Alice J. (ASJ) - ,
Date Posted: 8/16/2019 6:42 AM ET

Good to know REK. I have the book just haven't read it yet.

hannamatt52 avatar
Friend of PBS-Gold medal
Date Posted: 8/20/2019 1:01 PM ET

I just finished reading A Spectacle of Corruption by David Liss.  This is the second in his Benjamin Weaver thieftaker series.  It was very good; maybe not quite up to the level of the first book, A Conspiracy of Paper, but still a very excellent read.  The Frost Fair by Edward Marston is up next,

ssgilby avatar
Limited Member medal
Date Posted: 8/20/2019 1:21 PM ET

So I finished The Whiskey Rebels a few days ago, and with that, I am not currently reading or listening to anything.  LOL!  I started listening to a self-help book on Audible (such a sucker for those, LOL!), and when I finished The Whiskey Rebels, I started reading The Signature of All Things by Elizabeth Gilbert. I had two nights' of reading under my belt when I discovered last night that I had read it already!  Good grief!  I did think it a bit strange that I hadn't read it before, but reading the description on the back cover, it didn't ring any bells.  Then, suddenly last night, I thought "Wait a minute!  I read another book which talked about this botanist."  Then I flipped further back in the book and skipped around and read a paragraph here and there, and it all came back to me!  Dang!  Kind of funny as I remember liking the book pretty well.  Apparently it didn't make that big of impression.  LOL!  THen again, I am horrible at remembering details of books and movies.  I read/watch and two days later I couldn't tell you more than just the very basics of the plot. 

Cheryl, I thought about checking out some of David Liss' other books, but I'm thinking most of them would go over my head.  All the intricacies of the stock market (even in it's earliest, probably more simple form back when the country was new) in The Whiskey Rebels kind of went in one eye and out the other.  I'm afriad I'd be totally lost reading one of his other books. 

So, I guess tonight it's back to the drawing board (or should I say Mount TBR) to find another book. 

Last Edited on: 8/20/19 1:25 PM ET - Total times edited: 1
Generic Profile avatar
Date Posted: 8/22/2019 5:48 PM ET

My last book for this thread this month is The Book Woman of Troublesome Creek by Kim Michele Richardson.  Bluett., as she is known is a blue woman from Kentucky.  People with blue skin have a genetic defect that can be corrected by medication.  Of course, they are just as discriminated against as any other group.  They are considered dirty, ignorant and scary.  Half way through this one and I am enjoying it very much.

tjrj1988 avatar
Standard Member medalPrintable Postage medal
Date Posted: 8/27/2019 1:25 PM ET

REK-have "Marlene" on my TBR shelf-must pull it out now and put it in the rotation.

Interesting about David Liss.  I have "Whiskey Rebels" on my WL-seen others for sale on Amazon but just haven't been able to pull the trigger.  We'll see what I think.

Finished two HF's this month.  Both Susan Adair's-"Paper Woman" and "Blacksmith's Daughter".  Revolutionary War mysteries.  Southern sector which I didn't know as much about-interesting perspective about who exactly is a "patriot".

MartieKr avatar
Standard Member medalFriend of PBS-Silver medalPrintable Postage medal
Date Posted: 8/30/2019 7:54 AM ET

Finished The Lost History of Dreams: A NovelKris Waldherr about a post-mortem photographer who is haunted by the death of his wife. Upon the death of his cousin Hugh, a famous poet whom he never met, he is asked by his estranged brother to take the body and have it interred in the glass chapel where Hugh's wife rests. However, the wife's cousin refuses to allow the chapel to be unlocked but eventually proposes a bargain. We then begin to hear the poet's tale of love and the photographer's fated love and marriage. Secrets and twists keep popping up. Although it slowed down during the middle, I found it's gothic overtones creepy and atmospheric. Overall, a wonderfully done first novel.

hannamatt52 avatar
Friend of PBS-Gold medal
Date Posted: 8/30/2019 1:42 PM ET

I've just started reading Pachinko by Min JIn Lee- such lovely writing!