Skip to main content
PBS logo

Discussion Forums - Love & Romance Love & Romance

Topic: Historical Romance Books to Consider for your Wish List

Club rule - Please, if you cannot be courteous and respectful, do not post in this forum.
Page:   Unlock Forum posting with Annual Membership.
tburns0214 avatar
Standard Member medalFriend of PBS-Gold medalPrintable Postage medal
Date Posted: 7/9/2019 10:54 AM ET

I agree on the Lady Darby series.  The characters are evolving in such a good way as the story moves along.

Also, Regina, I have been enjoying your reviews on books that we have read alike.  Spot on!  Keep it up!

Terrie

virgosun avatar
Standard Member medal
Date Posted: 7/9/2019 11:01 AM ET

Wow, someone actually reads them. Right on! Thanks, Terrie. And I am SO on the late freight regarding Lady Darby series. Can't say that I've ever heard of them. I need to get crackin'!

Jerseygirltoo avatar
Standard Member medalPBS Blog Contributor medalPrintable Postage medal
Date Posted: 7/9/2019 12:17 PM ET

They're historical mysteries, Regina, and I must say the first one doesn't have much lightness to it, because the main character had a very unhappy and abusive first marriage.  The romance is a very slow burn, like the C.S. Harris books, and it will take a while for the relationship to develop. So you have to be patient!

tburns0214 avatar
Standard Member medalFriend of PBS-Gold medalPrintable Postage medal
Date Posted: 7/9/2019 2:02 PM ET

Lady Darby books are not heavy on the sex, but are heavy on the story.  Each installment gets better and better as the characters development.  Give them a try!

jayelsee avatar
Standard Member medalPrintable Postage medal
Date Posted: 7/10/2019 11:23 PM ET

Speaking of C. S. Harris, her 15th Sebastian St. Cyr will be published in 2020, "Who Speaks for the Damned" (ISBN 9780399585685).

And I just finished book 7 of the Lady Darby series, that and book 6 were excellent.  The romantic relationship between the 2 main characters has become very deep and satisfying.  Nothing graphic but the heat is there.  I think the mysteries get better, too.  I really liked the story in book 6, and how the author continues to feature secondary characters from the previous books. 

virgosun avatar
Standard Member medal
Date Posted: 7/14/2019 3:27 PM ET

Sheesh, I hadn't realized that I unwatched this topic by accident and missed all of your input. How'd that happen?

Well, ladies, I'm not very keen on historical mysteries, but of course there are a few exceptions, like Brenda Joyce's Deadly series (gosh, I miss Francesca and Hart). Their relationship was a slow burn, too, and absolutely delicious. Whew, my breath catches just thinking about Hart. *fan flutters* Okay, okay, I'll reel it in.

So, Lady Darby, hmm? Must I start with the book one? Or can I just jump in with something recent and not be totally lost? 

jayelsee avatar
Standard Member medalPrintable Postage medal
Date Posted: 7/14/2019 11:13 PM ET

Well, maybe I’m a little obsessive, but I always like to read a series from book 1 in sequence, even when the primary characters change from book to book.  For this series, I think it’s pretty important to start with the first one and read them in order, because the two main characters (Kiera, Lady Darby and Sebastian Gage) continue, and to follow the relationship and character development.  As far as each mystery goes, you’d probably be fine reading them out of order, but you’d be lost in understanding what motivates the two main characters  and why they behave and react the way they do.  If you’re not a fan of historical mysteries, you may find the first two or three books hard-going.  I love the series, and think it gets better and better.

Jerseygirltoo avatar
Date Posted: 7/29/2019 4:40 PM ET

Has anyone here read Syrie James? What are her books like? I never heard of her until about a week ago, and now I see her name popping up again.

Jerseygirltoo avatar
Subject: Valerie Bowman ARC
Date Posted: 8/11/2019 5:36 AM ET

I've got an ARC of "No Other Duke But You", by Valerie Bowman, free with any order from my shelf. 

I just finished reading it, it's very light and funny. I think it would appeal to fans of Julia Quinn. Please PM me if you want it.

Jerseygirltoo avatar
Subject: New Jane Ashford book
Date Posted: 8/27/2019 9:22 PM ET

This is a new release from Jane Ashford, I don't recall seeing it here, or I would have had it on my Wishlist! 

How To Cross a Marquess  https://www.paperbackswap.com/How-Cross-Marquess-Jane-Ashford/book/1492663417/ 

Last Edited on: 8/27/19 9:24 PM ET - Total times edited: 1
virgosun avatar
Standard Member medal
Date Posted: 8/27/2019 9:35 PM ET

Karin, that one was posted back in November last year. No wonder you didn't see it; it simply got buried!

virgosun avatar
Standard Member medal
Date Posted: 9/15/2019 10:32 AM ET

The Highlander's English Bride (Clan Kendrick)

Author: Vanessa Kelly

Never Conspire with a Sinful Baron (The Infamous Lords)
Author: Renee Ann Miller

A Duke a Dozen (The Survivors)
Author: Shana Galen

Last Edited on: 9/15/19 10:33 AM ET - Total times edited: 1
Jerseygirltoo avatar
Date Posted: 9/26/2019 10:21 PM ET

Wow, all the Duke's Sons are married, so I wonder if this Jane Ashford book is taking us into the next generation!

And I love Mimi Matthews! I preorder her books on Kindle as soon as they are available. 

virgosun avatar
Standard Member medal
Date Posted: 9/27/2019 12:07 AM ET

Karin, I can't say that I've ready any Jane Ashford, but Mimi Matthews is a fairly recent find for me. And even though her romances lean on the clean side, I love her stories! The Parish Orphans series is especially good.

Generic Profile avatar
Subject: Love and Other Perils
Date Posted: 10/9/2019 11:16 AM ET

Another new Grace Burrowes book.  Short stories with Emily Larkin.

ISBN  9781941419878

Only 2 people wishing.

Sue

Jerseygirltoo avatar
Subject: Love and Other Perils
Date Posted: 10/9/2019 12:25 PM ET

I got a free ARC of that one from Emily Larkin. They are lovely novellas, good for a short escape. 

Page: