Skip to main content
PBS logo

Discussion Forums - Health & Fitness Forum Health & Fitness Forum

Topic: Home Equipment

Club rule - Please, if you cannot be courteous and respectful, do not post in this forum.
  Unlock Forum posting with Annual Membership.
nerdgirl63 avatar
Standard Member medalPrintable Postage medal
Subject: Home Equipment
Date Posted: 3/26/2011 5:45 PM ET

Home Exercise Equipment?

I'd like to get something to do at home that I won't get too bored with. The only one I know for sure I do not want is an bike  Does anyone have any home excercise equipment that they really like and would recommend? 

Generic Profile avatar
Date Posted: 4/3/2011 11:26 AM ET

I love my elliptical.   My time on it is my "thinking time."     There are days that I really push myself and set it on a hard program and days that I do a lighter workout.  Either way, I am getting in a workout without having to drive to a gym.    My husband on the other hand does not like it.  He gets bored very quickly.  Listening to music and letting his mind wonder doesn't work for him.   He will only stay on it for 15 minutes tops.  If I put a TV in front of it he would be on it all day!  :o) 

I also like my heavy bag and gloves.  

swampdonkey avatar
Date Posted: 4/3/2011 8:09 PM ET

I have a bike, but I'm like the husband above- I get bored easy.  So I do have mine in front of the tv.  But I do wish I had gotten the eliptical instead.  It seems to be more of a workout than the bike.  I also have an urban rebounder, which I love doing.  But I only do it once in awhile because the video is kinda boring and I only have the one video.

Generic Profile avatar
Limited Member medal
Date Posted: 4/16/2011 10:27 AM ET

I like the smaller, portable stuff I have best. We have a bike and a home gym system (a friend gave it to me!), but I use the free weights, big balance ball, bands, mat and stepper more than anything. It's easy to add them to any workout and carry them to any room, garage or where ever. I like variety, too, so it's fun to just throw something in - especially if I haven't done it in a while.

SassenachD avatar
Standard Member medalMember of the Month medalTour Guide medalFriend of PBS-Gold medalPBS Blog Contributor medal
Date Posted: 4/24/2011 2:40 PM ET

Over the years we have aquired a Bowflex Ultimate (given to us by a friend from a divorce) which rocks! Free Weights are easy to store,  and use! Balance Ball(Don't forget a pump!), bands. We have a chin up bar attached to a door frame (all the boys use it). I purchased a treadmill (PaceMaster) with a bonus check years ago and surprising it is one of the most used pieces in OUR household next to the free weights. We do have the PX90 DVDs as well as Biggest Loser workouts, Tae Bo (look at yard sales or even Library sales). I've tried yoga at home but I don't care for it.. I found a nice resonably priced studio to go to.  I hope you find something that fits your budget and lifestyle...Happy Workouts!

Generic Profile avatar
Limited Member medal
Date Posted: 4/27/2011 11:19 AM ET

I have a bunch of dumb bells, which are pretty good for any exercise. I also have a bike that I ride all over town when the weather permits it.

doxiejoy avatar
Date Posted: 8/28/2011 11:07 AM ET

I have an Stamina Aero-Pilates machine that I bought through QVC that I really love.  Check it on on QVC.Com.