Skip to main content
PBS logo

Discussion Forums - Questions about PaperBackSwap Questions about PaperBackSwap

Topic: How do I delete my account?

Club rule - Please, if you cannot be courteous and respectful, do not post in this forum.
  Unlock Forum posting with Annual Membership.
Generic Profile avatar
Pam M. -
Friend of PBS-Silver medal
Subject: How do I delete my account?
Date Posted: 3/27/2020 4:09 PM ET

I love it here.  I've happily swapped for many years.  But I'm now officially "dying" of my cancer.  Do not panic -- it will be a while yet.

My plan is to send out all the WL books I have -- probably pretty soon.  If the palliative care people can help with my symptoms I can get around enough to package them up for DH to take to the post office.

But that leaves the books on my shelf, and all my credits.  What do I do with those?  Or what do I tell my DH to do with them once I'm gone?  What if we simply do nothing?  Eventually TPTB will close it all down for me?  I'd rather be more orderly than that.

The answer is probably in the help docs but I couldn't find it.

Thanks in advance for the help!

lionrose avatar
Standard Member medalFriend of PBS-Silver medal
Date Posted: 3/27/2020 5:05 PM ET

Without renewing, your account would revert to al a carte and would go on. That means it won't close unless you or your DH contacts PBS directly at some point. If you leave books on your shelf or have your own WL and requests or orders go unanswered PBS would put your account on hold eventually.   As far as credits you can donate them to PBS (there are different tiers, based on amount), right now there are no school donations, or give them to friends or maybe ask the games moderators if you can donate for contests. You can do book sales in the bazaar (2 for 1, 3 for 1, etc.) if you want to empty your bookshelf sending out orders. Or just give them away at a local charity, goodwill, UBS, etc.

Pam, my heart goes out to you, so sorry for what you are going through. 

Generic Profile avatar
Standard Member medalPrintable Postage medal
Date Posted: 3/28/2020 1:23 AM ET

Pam, I truly hope you are able to have joy and love happen for you and your husband every day you have left.

Generic Profile avatar
Date Posted: 3/28/2020 1:34 AM ET

Last Edited on: 3/29/20 1:42 AM ET - Total times edited: 1
rutabaker avatar
Standard Member medal
Date Posted: 3/28/2020 8:09 AM ET

I'm so sorry.

daisymau avatar
Standard Member medal
Date Posted: 3/28/2020 9:55 AM ET

I'm sorry to hear this. Will keep you in my thoughts and prayers.

mistyks avatar
Limited Member medalFriend of PBS-Silver medal
Date Posted: 3/28/2020 12:50 PM ET

My heart goes out to you and your family! ((hugs))

BlackPanther avatar
Standard Member medalTour Guide medalFriend of PBS-Silver medal
Date Posted: 3/28/2020 12:57 PM ET

Hi Pam,

I see you have many "Friends". You can always give away your credits to your Friends when you're done using PBS. Just click on their name and look for "Give Credit".

There's also the Random Acts Of Kindness forum where you can gift your books or your credits to random members who ask you for them.

When you're ready to close your account, please use the "Contact Us" link at the bottom of the screen.

Take care and thanks for being a PBS member.

Carol K.

hardtack avatar
Date Posted: 3/28/2020 4:34 PM ET

Dear Pam,

I've lost good friends to cancer. I still remember one special lady friend on the 6th of every month.  Your post above sounds like you are approaching the end in a positive way, if that's at all possible. My best wishes go out to you and your loved ones.

tinyavenger avatar
Standard Member medalMember of the Month medalFriend of PBS-Gold medal
Date Posted: 3/28/2020 7:40 PM ET

Pam, I am so sorry and my heart goes out to you and your family. Keeping you in my thoughts and prayers. 

I think Linda and Carol pretty much hit on all the options. Thank you for being a part of this wonderful PBS family for so many years.

Generic Profile avatar
Pam M. -
Friend of PBS-Silver medal
Date Posted: 3/30/2020 10:37 AM ET

Thanks everyone!  Right now I feel pretty good.  I've been seeing the palliative care people (via video-conference) and their advice has helped tremendously.  I'm up out of bed and moving around much better than last week.  Eating better too.

I just love steroids.  LOL.  

But the inevitable is coming.  I've been lucky -- had advanced cancer for over 7 years now and have basically been able to ignore it,  Most people don't have it as good.

So now that the palliative care people have me moving, I think I'll post some books. . .

goddessani avatar
Standard Member medalMember of the Month medalBook Cover Image Group medalFriend of PBS-Silver medalPBS Blog Contributor medal
Date Posted: 3/31/2020 6:30 PM ET

Pam, I admire your strength and hope it continues to hold you in good stead until the end.

classicana avatar
Standard Member medalMember of the Month medalBook Cover Image Coordinator medalBook Data Coordinator medal
Date Posted: 3/31/2020 8:52 PM ET

Pam, 'the inevitable is coming' for each and every one of us - it has to be harder though, to be given a time limit of sorts.  I wish you peace, love, and a moment (or more) of joy in each day.